SpO2, EDA, Temperature, Breathing, HRV in WebAPI

The latest round of Fitbit devices provides all kinds of new metrics including SpO2, temperature, EDA stress level monitoring, breathing rate, etc. This data should be available in the WebAPI.
26 Comments
sifantid
Jogger

I am an academic researcher and my team is working on user interaction and user experience, as well as emotion and activity detection on wearable devices. We really hope that the readings of the sensors incorporated in the new Fitbit Sense will be available soon through the Web API in order to utilize them for research studies to explore potentially meaningful correlations between user data and bring value to the user.

efstathio
Keeping Pace

I totally agree, being able to extract and analyze these data will prove beneficial to many researchers and data scientists 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @HanShotFirst, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to access to SpO2, temperature, EDA stress level monitoring, breathing rate, etc. from the Web API. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

HanShotFirst
Jogger

Thanks for getting back to us all, Yojana. If it would be beneficial for me to detail further the value and benefits of this feature suggestion to help fill out your suggestion criteria, I'm more than happy to. I'm just glad to see that 100 people already agree that this would make Fitbit wearables even more valuable, especially to engineers like us who are endeavoring to expand and extend the work Fitbit has already done.

Velir
First Steps

The new premium metrics should also be colorful and clickable the way the free dashboard is on both the app and web api.

they are currently bland colored and only viewable.

Sofia-Dev
Jogger

Hey all, I also believe that this would be a great feature for Fitbit Developers!

Sofia-Dev
Jogger

At the same time, exposing the raw sensor data to the Device SDK would be also super useful.

ykmks0921
Jogger

I am developing mobile app. I want to get mindfulness minutes from fitbit by using web api.

emmaness
Jogger

I agree, being able to access and download this data would be really useful. Currently the HRV is limited to one rolling month and only accessible on the phone app. The EDA data doesn't appear to be collected anywhere or the HRV data associated with the EDA scan. I would definitely like to see all this data in the webpage dashboard and I strongly urge the developers to take this suggestion on board. If the data is there we should be able to see it.

JPSnow
Recovery Runner

Fitbit, you should have a general principle that users can always access all of their own personal biometric data. Instead, you launched the API with full coverage of everything shown in the app, got people hooked, and now aren't providing endpoints with the latest, most valuable metrics. SPO2 is particularly valuable in a time when so many people are recovering from COVID. It's reasonable to have a premium offerings for more advanced features or where you're supplementing the data with insights. Regardless, users should always be able to download all of their own data, including through the API. 

NeverMind1512
Stepping Up

Echo JPSnow's comment. Web API needs to be extended to include the metrics as its far more useful than having to do a full data export and reconcile from there.  

ladvien
First Steps

I'm with JPSnow, it's extremely misleading to advertise as company where users own their data when those users can't access the actual data. Just the inferences on their data in an app laden with upsells. How do the kids say? "Seems sus."

oakmad
First Steps

I came here on the recommendation of fitbit support. We facilitate the sharing of data between patients and physicians and are seeing a lot of demand for integration with smart watch and tracker device vendors. Where possible we always use the web API and as such were very disappointed to see fitbit was missing a lot of data points, such as SPO2 etc. I have to say fitbit are way behind Garmin and Withings in this regard - especially Garmin whose API and notification framework is top notch for our use cases.Its over 6 months since this issue was first opened: is there any roadmap or timeline available for when this might be available or even if its happening?  

mgsgde
First Steps

Hey, i am implementing a web app that shows all of my health data, therefore i would also be happy to have all of the Fitbit data accessible via your web API (especially the hrv). Thx for your good work 👍

Lumiukko
Recovery Runner

So, it has been almost a year since the initial post. Has there been any development to get access to *all* the data the Sense (or Charge 5) gathers from their sensors?

I am a researcher in medical informatics and have a strong personal interest in facilitating data from wearables, but the lack of access via some API endpoint is currently a deal-breaker for acquiring the newer devices.

It is also ethically questionable to gather all this health related data from consumers and not providing access to the raw data and the option to extract and store them. Technically it is also in violation of article 20 GDPR, which states:

The data subject shall have the right to receive the personal data concerning him or her, which he or she has provided to a controller, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from the controller to which the personal data have been provided [..]

So, please, update your API and be more transparent and consumer-friendly.

Feel free to comment on this post if something has changed.

JPSnow
Recovery Runner

@Lumiukko Thanks for prompting for an update on this now aging shortfall we've all raised. I agree with the ethical point you included, and the reference to GDPR, which translates our ask into clear functional terms.  

FlutterUAE
Jogger

I am an academic researcher and my team is working on emotion and activity detection using wearable devices. We want to use Fitbit senses in our research and therefore we need access to SpO2, temperature, EDA stress level monitoring, breathing rate, etc continuously. We used Empatica E4 in our previous research but in this new study, we need to have at least 50 subjects wearing the sensor simultaneously. Therefore Fitbit is a more suitable and affordable option for us.

Please update us about the status of this feature request as soon as possible.

insid3r
Jogger

It's 2022 and we're still waiting for this data to appear on the API...

Lumiukko
Recovery Runner

Yup, I gave up at this point. I would have loved to have my Charge 2 replaced with a Charge 5....

However, just displaying certain data it in the App in some aggregated form may be nice for most users, but not for me and not for anyone who wants to use the device in research. It's a shame since Fitbit is leading in sensing sleep data.

Now I got a Fenix 6 and can pull, for instance, the SpO2 data at least in hourly averages using some web endpoints and some Python lib for convenience.

Again, it's really a shame, but Fitbit lost a customer here, because they're being a dick about the data that by law (at least for EU citizens) should be accessible to us.

mechin
First Steps

I've been tracking this technology for some years now in order to include it in my research project regarding Affective Computing. Access to information such as EDA, stress, etc., would be a valuable piece of information for the development of Affective Applications. This data would unlock the possibility to publish my work in scientific journals, for instance. 

Yiuman
Jogger

Hoping these biological informations can be get by Web api in 2020.

wbbern
First Steps

Still waiting for this. Had to switch to using another company's wearable (Biostrap) in the meantime to satisfy our research needs. Hope an SpO2 endpoint becomes available soon.

Also it seems there may be duplicate feature requests for the same thing, so the votes are getting split up. Could these be combined?

OmniArtist
First Steps

Seeing as there's already infrastructure set up for these kind of endpoints, it shouldn't require much of a development effort to expose endpoints for this data as well. Enabling a lot of medical research and applications. I hope we can get an update to the WebAPI soon! 🙂

mythcard051
First Steps

Hi,

I need to perform 7 hops to log my reflection. I am really interested to log my reflection in the time intervals of 1 hour or 4 times a day or in any other variation of intervals. I feel 7 hops is really redundant. I have an idea where I can reduce this to mere 1 hop. Could you please provide an end point to log reflection, as neutral, calm or stressed.

Thanks,

mythcard051

janelopston
Jogger

As a researcher in an eHealth company, I would like to monitor SpO2, EDA, temperature, breathing, and HRV using Fitbit devices. ATM, this is NOT possible due to the missing data access. An extension of the web API or the SDK is necessary. Fitbit, please take care of that!

Thanks

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.