Step tracking for slow walkers

I haven't read everything in here and this is my first post.   I think FitBit needs an option for disabled users.  I have Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis and who knows what else.  My steps are not fast and I don't think the fitbit correctly adds all the steps.   On my bad days, I'm not going to zoom around to add steps.  I'm going to move slowly to minimize pain.  When I move slowly or shuffle, the steps are not added to the fitbit. 

So my idea?  Add a feature for the slower folks.   Enable a sensativity level like you have for the sleep part.  That way, normal people can have the normal setting and us slow people can have a sensative tracker to help track every one of our steps. 

Moderator Edit: Updated title for clarity & labels.

8 Comments
ElizabethHCA
Jogger

YES!!  The first Fitbit I bought was for my aunt.  She has severe RA.  Unfortunately I went through several models (both FitBit and other manufacturers) and none worked for her. 

Part of the issue in her case is she couldn't get even get them on.  The HR was the easiest, but the kinds with the snap band were impossible.  Something with a band that you can stretch and slide over your hand would be much more helpful for her. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SolangeE
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion @KatieCO.

We appreciate your candid feedback on this topic. We believe everyone should be able to access and enjoy our products and we’re working on ways to improve support for our customers experiencing disabilities. To learn more about accessibility features and support on Fitbit devices, see our help article help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2469.htm

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

I agree completely. The Fitbit should have the  option to tailor to everyone's circumstance. Everybody is different. Good idea.

RunningAmy
Base Runner

You can adjust the default stride length if that helps, see:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1135

raynam07
First Steps

My Dad has heart surgery-wanted a tracker that monitors heart rate and steps while he uses his walker. This is important for so many elderly people that need to stay active and those needing to progress through rehabilitation programs. It is baffling that there is no clear disability accommodation feature for those that are mobility impaired. The same feature could be used for strollers and shopping carts. This is critical!!!

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @raynam07, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about having a setting that allows the device to track steps while using a walker (or walking slower, mobility impaired), this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

However, this idea is still open to votes, so the team can continue to track popularity and demand over time.

ElizabethHCA
Jogger

I'm more interested in features than stickers.

I'd prefer time spent by developers be on something useful like

• being able to set the number of steps we want to make in an hour to be something other than 250
  • customize when the reminder to move chimes in - if we have more steps, we may need more time
  • choices of app display color and contrast levels
ElizabethHCA
Jogger

I don't give a hoot about meaningless badges in the community, I would like to see developer time spent on actual useful features on the devices and apps.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.