Stop friends from adding friends in challenges

I’m not a snob, honestly! I just set up my challenges fairly. I don’t think it’s fair to set up a challenge with a 10k/day stepper against a 4K/day stepper. I make my challenges and then all of a sudden I’m against 5 people who in 1 day are 8k ahead or behind me. We need a switch to shut off additional invites!

21 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Unfortunately there’s  no etiquette for people when they join challenges.  Too many times I create a challenge and invite a new friend and they invariably invite a whole bunch of their friends before my friends even had an opportunity to accept MY challenge and then all the spots are taken up in MY challenge by people I don’t even know.  Either give us a way to delete people we did not invite or put it in the rules to ask the creator of the challenge if it’s OK to invite your friends.  It’s rude for people to do it but I’m sure there’s no intent.  It’s like crashing your dinner party for six with five more of your freaking friends when only you were invited. 

ZNocturnalMe
Stepping Up

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’m trying to say!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

They need to at least add an option that you can select when you create the challenge that allows or prohibits other invitees from inviting their own friends. I’ve lost friends from calling them out on crashing my challenge and asking them to “UN-invite” their friends. It causes drama.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

ZNocturnalMe
Stepping Up

Yep! I was surprised to see that no one else had made this suggestion. Certainly there’s more than just you and I who this this is rude! I mean, it’s really not fair to put a 4K person against a 20k person and completely blind side them by doing so. Then they restart the challenge, the 4K person will never have a chance at a trophy. How fair is that? Send me a fr if you like, I promise I won’t add people in your challenges! 😂 

Sharnben
Recovery Runner

Totally agree. I invited 5 people to our regular weekly challenge. Then I added another 2 people I had previously  stopped inviting because they kept inviting other people I didn't know or want in my challenge. So now we're up to 9 people invited to the challenge (including myself).  Thought they might have taken the hint but no, before any of the original invitees had a chance to accept, 1 of these people invited 4 others so if those 4 people accept before the original invitees, the original invitees miss out. And of course I can't deny these extra  4 people even though I set the challenge. If people want to invite others to your challenges, you should at least be able to deny them over your own original invitees. Makes me so frustrated. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I know right! It’s rude. I just started putting a message up at the top right when I start a challenge. “This is a closed challenge no other invitees allowed”. But I feel like a **ahem** having to do that. And there have been several people who unfriended me after this bs bc I messaged them to uninvite their friends and they got butt hurt over it. We should have an option to “allow” or not allow more invitees by others.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

icewarnerd
Recovery Runner

I would love to +1 this suggestion. It can be frustrating to curate the perfect challenge only to have someone invite their other friends.

kosdaisy
First Steps

Agreed.. please add the option

Katipop
Jogger

I totally agree. It is very frustrating when the spots get filled in challenges you've created by other people you haven't invited. Like you, I try to keep it fair but we have some who get 15 k with some who get 6k a day and guess who always wins. I created a special challenge invited a friend who invited someone else and that person invited 6 people none of whom I know and my people have no room to join now. Thank you for this post. It has been a year almost hope it gets addressed soon.

Katipop
Jogger

Thank you I agree totally. Hope something is done about it soon.

ZNocturnalMe
Stepping Up

I know! Please, share this suggestion, tell your friends, get some more votes for this! Fitbit won’t do anything to change it until I have more votes. It just happened again the other day to me. It’s like, if you want to challenge someone, create a challenge! Don’t come stomping all over mine that I actually put thought into! Ugh.

Katipop
Jogger

I am with you 1000%! Trouble is you don't go to fitbit support or fitbit on twitter unless you have an issue pressing I don't know anyone who does. This needs a poll and people will agree I am sure. At least a lot more will. 

Foganlife
First Steps

I completely agree with this. It’s not even for me about putting higher steppers against lower steppers, for me I have extreme social anxiety and don’t like the whole “group chat” vibe with people I don’t know. I end up removing myself from the challenge I created and try and do it alone. 

Katipop
Jogger

I have opted to do something now. When I create a challenge. I add the note please allow those I have invited time to join. Don't add anyone to the challenge until late the night before. I also message someone directly who invited and explained my frustration with those who they invited being that bold.

Sarah4364
First Steps

Although I totally see the point of what people are saying on this I do feel you have got to think about how others are feeling too! 

I recently was added to a challenge by my sister who only added me not had Fitbit long or been involved in the community so didn’t have many friends on there, 

I joined not knowing I was doing anything wrong and then 2 days later a friend Of the person who created the challenge tried to accept the invite and couldn’t because I was in the challenge the person openly displayed annoyance to everybody in the challenge and then privately messaged my sister telling her that I had to leave this was on day 4 of the challenge that I had been in. And I feel it was very hurtful most people on Fitbit don’t know the people they inviting so why not be abit More open about meeting new people and not sticking to the same group how will you ever challenge yourself if you don’t have people who are going to push you to move more. 

Just my opinion I was left feeling like I had been in this challenge for most of the week then forced out at the last hurdle wasn’t a nice feeling. So I’m not surprised friends have been lost This way but I can understand the frustration at the same time 

Katipop
Jogger
Anything wrong with starting a brand new challenge of your own and inviting whoever you want too? When my sis joined that's what I did. I also don't have a problem with a friend add A FRIEND of theirs. My problem is when the friend newly invited floods my challenge with all of their friends instead of just creating one for all those people. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
ZNocturnalMe
Stepping Up

This is what I’m talking about. I create a challenge and invite 9 friends. One of those friends goes and invites 4,5,6 people that overrun all my other friends step goals. Being challenged is one thing, continually being put up against someone who puts down 10k a day isn’t really fair for someone who is struggling to put down 4K is another. It’s like inviting a friend to lunch and they bring 5 friends. We should have the option to turn it off if we’re setting up the challenge. If they want their friends in a challenge, they need to make their own.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

DA69CORONA
Jogger
Make it so invitees can’t invite other people to challenges I’ve started
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @DA69CORONA, thanks for sharing this suggestion about preventing members from inviting other people to participate in challenges with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.