Stride Length Using Steps and GPS

Rather than attempting to calculate the users stride length via height etc, or have them manually work out stride length why not have the app use the GPS to work out distance and the step count from fitbit to accurately calculate stride length?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity and labels.

59 Comments
erik_the_red
Jogger
I was not aware of that. I've been using Flex, Charge, and now Alta, so I did not know the Blaze did this.

I do feel this should be a feature available to all the trackers though, unless of course there is some technical reason why it's not possible to implement.
olivernielsen
Jogger

Why doesn't it calculate the WALKING stride length, like it does the running stride length, when going for a walk with GPS?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
This would be nice!
AK_Fit
Stepping Up

There are a lot of complaints about stride length not being calculated correctly across different activities. Currently there is only one option - either automatically or one manual setting. Neither choice will ever be optimal since stride length differs based on type of activity and there aren't enough sensors in the equipment to identify and assign different stride lengths automatically. 

So a (relatively) simple solution would be to allow manually setting stride length but do it PER EXERCISE or at least PER EXERCISE TYPE. When I use treadmill, I trust the treadmill to calculate the right distance. When I use GPS, I trust the GPS computed distance (for run, walk etc..). If Fitbit's automatic calculation disagrees with another estimate, I should be able to override it for a particular event or exercise. 

midnightidol
Jogger

Surely a stride length calculation would be possible using GPS simply walk or jog a mile and let the tracker count the steps and repeat every so often to confirm the calculation

mkwrnck
Recovery Runner

I walk a little bit more than four miles with a friend. We both have Charge 3s. He uses GPS connect. I do not because I do not bring my iPhone. Our Charge 3s record different distances. I believe his is more accurate because he's using GPS. My distance is calculated based on stride length. Measuring stride length is, IMHO, iffy at best. But it would be a programming "piece of cake" to add a feature to the software that would CALCULATE stride length based on the number of steps that the Charge 3 records in a walk "activity," and the distance walked (measured by GPS). I could then bring my iPhone just every so often to confirm that my stride length remains accurate. Can this be added?

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mkwrnck, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding stride length with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

Aspergers
First Steps

I would like to choose to use my steps & stride length and not use GPS to calculate mileage, or the opposite. It should be a choice, not a requirement to use GPS.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Aspergers! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.