UK food database

Hi, enjoying my Flex/iOS app so far - do you have plans to develop a UK foods database?

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

318 Comments
KikiG1973
First Steps

I love my fitbit flex and now I have worked out I can infact walk my steps, I would love to use the whole set up a bit more, such as being able to enter my food without having to add new food everytime.. PLEASE PLEASE can we have a UK database for foods.. I have lots to lose and would love to do it with my flex..

gnimia
Recovery Runner

Toally endorse this - I'm just getting started with my One, and it would be a huge help!

Cassian
Runner

Definitely. Judging by the feeds in my social network Fitbit have a strong UK following; this could really improve things for UK folks, and it would definitely be a selling point.

ztips72
Jogger

Please, please a UK food database.

I have to use Myfitnesspal to input food.

2 software packages to do one thing!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

There are only a few countries to select as food database, since Fitbit sells the Fitbit products in Belgium, having a Food Database for Belgium would be very convenient.

Having a food database for every country where Fitbit is being sold would be awesome though. Cat Happy

j-beda
Jogger

steal an idea from mynetdiary and have the ability to scan the upc code and input data from the nutritional info panel on the package. Even better, get the user to photograph the package info and have someone at fitbit HQ (or slog it off to the mechanical turk) to enter the data. Crowd-sourcing the data entry and data checking could be useful - the most popular foods would quickly get entered, and even the most obscure foods would not require much work for the people who ate them.

j-beda
Jogger

a barcode scanner and the ability for users to add stuff to the database might be a good way of populating the DB with local foodstuffs

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That's a wonderfull idea,  j-beda Cat Happy

mg1011
Jogger
Please add a uk food data base. I'm using My fitness Pal but would prefer to keep everything in the one app. Also, the scanner idea is good.
mousytrap
Recovery Runner

Yes please...

qwazie
Stepping Up

Not having a UK food database is a major shortcoming. Selecting the US one is pretty much useless as so many standard British products ae not recognised. My Fitness Pal manages to achieve it.

KimW67
Recovery Runner

Firstly the gadget is fantastic.  However, the Dashboard and Logs are poor from an IT point of view.  I cannot log any measurements as they don't save.  Fitbit must have an idea of how many units have been sold so far in the UK, but still don't provide a UK food database.  The whole site could use a total revamp.  I have a friend whose calories in v calories out figures don't match and Fitbit have advised this is an IT problem but it's not fixed.  As for the wristbands, I like everyone else would love a UK supplier to stock these as I refuse to pay the over inflated US prices on EBAY and other sites.  Come on Fitbit, you have a fantastic product, but your IT is seriously letting you down.

NimdaBE
First Steps

a food database for Belgium (or a more "international" version) would be great! I have to manually add foods to the database because a lot of foods and brands aren't in the database yet.

Also the idea to add food using a barcode scanner in the app would be very helpfull to add foods and nutrition information fast...

dozzauk
Recovery Runner

Definitely need a UK food database; it would improve your marketability in this region.

Hats26
Hill Runner

Yeah I agree.. I have just got one and I would like it a lot if there would be a UK food database. I did notice on a different site that someone used myfitnesspal to store food, which links with fitbit, but I would like to stick with one site instead of two. I haven't worked out how to sync the two sites yet either. 

ChinaBlue
First Steps

Would definitely appreciate a UK food database please!

FryGuy93
First Steps

It would be quite nice to have the option to select UK from the country databases for food. Currently the other countries food listings does not contain many items which are available in the UK.

Jmb1
Jogger

Me too, I appreciate these things take time to compile but ASAP would be great.  I have disabled this feature on my aria until uk available.

@MattGumbley wrote:

Hi, enjoying my Flex/iOS app so far - do you have plans to develop a UK foods database?

Thanks!

jl2879
Stepping Up

How long until we can have a UK food database please? If you are selling this product here, surely it's not too much to ask. Until that's the case the whole idea seems a bit of a rip off.

Just because you speak the same language as we Brits, doesn't mean we eat the same food.  UK food databases are published, could you consider providing at least a link to one ?.

Jbt72
First Steps
Hi. Why no food capture for the UK? We don't eat the same as Americans and theres no option for us. I'd like that.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Another vote for a UK food database please - I'd love to only need to use Fitbit rather than link through from another app

stato871
Stepping Up
The UK food database is a must. Selling the product in the UK should of Been enough to develop it. I'm guessing you it is under development as the app states it's currently unavailable, is this true? Hopefully you listen to your customers.
nsohpal
Jogger

yes please, a uk database is a must. Smiley Happy

grumpyguts2
Recovery Runner

When are you going to produce a relevant database for UK users of Fitbit, please?  There are databases for other European countries such as France, Germany and Spain but not one for the UK.  This is poor.  There are thousands of Fitbit users in the UK who are being undermined in our efforts to work properly with it, as there is no relevant UK database.

Because we speak English does not mean that our foods have the same calorific values or content as US food items.

A decent answer would be appreciated telling me WHEN you are going to set up such a database, please.  Last time I wrote I received a load of waffle which did not answer my reasonable question.

Thanks.
Steve Flynn

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.