Student Discount for Fitbit Premium

Howdy y'all! Currently, many subscription services offer discounts for students who are in college, such as myself. I feel that Fitbit Premium should offer a discount for students in college who are interested in joining that service. As a college student, I know that my health may not be the greatest due to the long days/nights of studying, not eating enough healthy foods or eating too many carbs, not getting the recommended amount of sleep, and much more. In looking for a service to help me work on getting my health to where I want it to be I discovered Fitbit Premium. I have had a Fitbit for many years, and currently have the Charge 3. However, the cost of $10 a month or $80 for the year is somewhat expensive, as spending $80 (or $120 for monthly payments )can take a massive hit to my bank account, as well as many other students' bank accounts. My proposal for a student discount is as follows:

*These changes only affect those who can prove they are college students by proving their collegiate email address to verify their enrollment at an institution.

- Change the monthly cost to $4.99 + tax (a 50% discount for students)

- Change the yearly cost to $39.99 + tax (a 50% discount for students)

- Set up a manner that only lets this discount be used for 4 years (I believe Amazon has a system in place where after 4 years of the discount you are automatically switched to a normal membership)

The following would be the Pros and Cons of offering a discount for college students:

Pros

- Opens up the potential for a new audience of college customers

- Increases the potential for students to invest in this program

- Aids students in affordably taking a priority on their health

- Fitbit as a company receives more customers

Cons

- Fitbit as a company may not make as much money by lowering their prices for students

- Having to set up and integrate the method to verify student enrollment

There may be more pros and cons that I cannot think of right now, but thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion for Fitbit. Please let me know of anything else I may have missed or any questions/concerns you may have. Thank you!

5 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @C.Nykiel, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about offering discounts for students! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

FridayLover
Recovery Runner

IMHO there shoud be no premium services for such disrespect to customers as Fitbit do.

AbyRodriguez
First Steps

And military discount while we’re at it. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I second that. Fitbit should target the student demographic, as there are so many individuals who want to stay affordably healthy and a show of faith will encourage students to make that investment.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about having a student discount for Fitbit Premium. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.