Support Google Voice with notifications

Add Google Voice to the supported messaging apps on Android. Great to have options like Hangouts and Signal and Messaging, but would really like to have access to the app where I actually receive my SMS.

Moderator edit: Label & Title

56 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Agreed - the only reasonable workaround for the lack of Google Voice support is to continue using the hangouts app, which while great, will be shut down this year. After that the ability to receive SMS notifications via Fitbit will be gone, as integration with other messaging apps for my google voice number is not really functional at this point.

JennieMae
Stepping Up

I found the option to receive notifications on my Charge 3 from Google Voice (as well as various other apps). I have not tried, but it seems that I can send auto-replies through my tracker as well. This is an acceptable option for me.

Open your Charge 3 settings on the connected phone
Under "General," select "Notifications"
Select "App Notifications"

Select "Voice" with the Google Voice icon, as well as any other apps you wish to receive notifications from.
Exit this screen (Go back to Notifications screen)
Select "Quick Replies"
Select "Voice"

Edit up to 5 auto-replies as you see fit

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Yeah, this is wonderful - a new development since last week when I looked
for an option like this in the ap. Perfect!
James2c19v
First Steps
Still nothing for Charge 2. With the Charge 2 we don't have the option of
receiving general notifications; we can only select from a pre-determined
list of "text" and "calendar" apps. Google Voice is not including under the
texting options still.

Everyone is asking for Google Voice messaging integration but it seems to be falling of deaf ears.  Hay Fitbit moderators, is their a reason that we are unaware of?

thanks! 

Ahwoo
Stepping Up

Ditto. Let's get Google Voice on my Ionic.

rk1572
Jogger

Now that Google owns it I certainly hope this will be addressed.

Shurafa
First Steps

Would love to see Google voice support added as well. 

1FatBassTurd
Jogger

OK....  Google now owns Fitbit.  Google is killing off Hangouts, making Google Voice the SMS app for those of us that use a Google Voice phone #.  About time to support Google Voice for messaging on Fitbit. 

Fitkipbit
First Steps

I want to echo others. Please add support for Google voice. 

vainpalazzo
Jogger

Yes please add this.

I ONLY use Google Voice, not standard texting.   All other messaging is disabled.

This is my #1 request and has been for years.

richardwood
Jogger

I too would love to see this, especially now that hangouts has stopped working for sms altogether. I'm using the Flex 2 because I prefer a smaller device, and it has very limited notification options. 

PlingJago
First Steps

I cannot vote this up enough. Google Voice IS my phone and SMS number. As I have shifted from device to provider over the years, not to mention the hangouts death, my Google Voice number has not ever changed. Please add this as a messaging/SMS option and notification choice.

Cheryldm
First Steps

Desperately need Google voice.  Like others have stated, Google Voice is my primary 

Djchitown
Jogger

I had my name down to the list of people who are frustrated that Google voice app is not added to the Fitbit. It's making me contemplate returning this smartwatch to the store and getting a different brand. I have the versa 3

MonicaLBP
Recovery Runner

This thread appears to be 3 years old? Has there been any progress in receiving Google Voice calls on my Fitbit Sense? As every prior commenter has said, GV is my primary number. Every call that comes to my cell number is spam. I have no interest in getting that on my Sense. I tried the previously mentioned option of selecting GV to receive notifications on my Sense. But apparently that's no longer available in the app. PLEASE make it possible to take my calls from GV 🙂

MikeJILCO
First Steps

+1 Google Voice is my primary phone & SMS app. Please add GV to the options for Calls & Text Messages.

akj850
First Steps

I would also like to add my request to support Google voice as the text messaging app for fitbit devices.  I use this as my primary way to call and send text messages. 

thestinamarie
First Steps

This was first brought up in 2018 and it's now 2023... have we been able to add this functionality in the last 5 years? Google Voice, WhatsApp, native messaging apps, Facebook Messenger, etc. are all ways that people receive messages and they're interchangeable. Native messaging apps is obviously the first priority, but Google Voice is definitely number two for those who use it. I won't purchase anything that won't allow GV messages because it's 98% of my messaging. 

rk1572
Jogger
My Fitbit now works seamlessly with Google Voice.

--
Best regards,
Richard
thestinamarie
First Steps

@rk1572 That's amazing! Which Fitbit model? I was told by the Fitbit chat support that it would NOT work with GV, but I had my doubts. 

rk1572
Jogger
I have the Charge 5 and it works fine. I must choose the apps to allow
notifications. This was working before and now after I migrated to my
google login (as Google is now the owner of Fitbit.

--
Rich
MonicaLBP
Recovery Runner

To be clear, this is what we're talking about  https://voice.google.com/  this is the website. It's also available on smart devices. "Google Voice" gives you a phone number and you then tell it all your phone numbers and all your phones (or devices) will "ring" when you get a call or text to your Google Voice number. This isn't referring to a Google Voice Assistant, or any other voice assistant. I've Googled this, and there is no solution yet to answering Google Voice calls on our Fitbit devices.  So, Rich, are you positive that it's Google Voice that's working on your Fitbit?

rk1572
Jogger
Sorry, I get my text messages on Google Voice. My calls come in on my
phone, through my regular number by the Google Voice number forwarding.
MonicaLBP
Recovery Runner

No worries. Just had to make sure there wasn't some confusion happening 🙂 When I first got my Sense, a few years ago, I was only getting calls to my regular mobile number to my Sense. I don't recall if I was getting notifications on texts. But texts can't be answered on a Fitbit device, so that doesn't matter. Really, a lot of the supposed perks require the phone to be near. So that's kinda pointless. If I can listen to my music, answer texts and take a phone call through my phone, what use is a watch that does those things only if the phone is near? LOL That's my opinion anyway. I wear my watch on my ankle. I don't use all those extraneous features, so I can save the battery on the Sense. The battery that supposedly lasts 6 days really only lasts 3 days, even with minimal "perks" being used. It also helps ensure that no soap gets in my watch to ruin it 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.