Support Linux

PLEASE!!! We have been asking since day one that we can sync our devices through our linux systems. I can't even get my son's flex to follow our jury rigged path that synces my ultra. I'm very worried what will happen when my ultra breaks and I have to get a One...Smiley Frustrated

Moderator edit: Added labels 

81 Comments
3UFN
First Steps

Add another vote for Linux

esson
Stepping Up

I'm running out of reasons to run a windows PC at home. Please support Linux so I'm closer to having a Windows free household.

It really is about time!

3UFN
First Steps
I agree!

--
Later,
Bryan
Ron.R
Jogger
I totally agree. The only reason I still use windows is to keep my tracker
in sync. Why is it that Fitbit will not support linux?
MorrisTimm
Recovery Runner

Please provide a Linux version of the Fitbit OS simulator.

I'm using Windows and Linux depending on where I'm working on my clockfaces but most of the time I'm on Linux.

konraditurbe
First Steps

Linux user here as well, would like an emulator version for Linux.

f512dmx
Recovery Runner

I've been waiting for fitbit to function on a LinuX system for years. Gôôd luck people.

Ron.R
Jogger
i haven't been waiting quite so long but I would like to dump windows.
Fitbit is the only thing standing in my way.
f512dmx
Recovery Runner
I have always used LinuX and never windows. I just use my cell phone
with titbit. Fitt bit development never really started.

--
f512dmx
Recovery Runner

I have always used LinuX and never windows. I just use my cell phone with fitbit. Fitbit development never really started to help LinuX users.

--

BingRen
Base Runner

Linux is a platform used by many developers. Please port the emulator to Linux so Linux users don't need to switch to another OS or start a virtual machine in order to develop Fitbit apps.

rickardomc
Stepping Up

Come on! Are 4 years that people are asking about fitbit on linux. This mean that you are really kidding us

Ron.R
Jogger
I have only been on it 18 months but it is looking like Fitbit is going to
ignore a very large population of FItbit users. Maybe we should start
looking at another brand of tracker since FItbit is not supporting us.
BingRen
Base Runner

Please understand the situation here, it's not that Fitbit should support Linux users, it's Fitbit should support Linux users to support Fitbit! Think about the fact that Linux users are mostly top gun developers.

RBR
Jogger

Update from my original post several years ago -- I'm the only Windows user in my family of 5.  The rest all have Linux systems.  Over the years, I've gotten Fitbits for my husband and 3 kids.  We are down to only me and my 10 year old using them.  For the rest, Fitbit is irrelevant without Linux.   Really sad given the vibrant Linux development community.  Fitbit folks -- please hire some Linux developers if you don't have any internal. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

sketch1946
Stepping Up

please make a script to sync fitbit devices using linux, for all us linux users out there

PenguinFriend
Jogger

Many (potential) smartwatch or fitness tracker users have "unusual" devices like Linux PC, Linux Smartphone (yes they exist), or any mobile computing solution. 

Why don't you get them all as clients by developing a good WebApp with all feasible features of the mobile app plus the option to upload / sync music?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @PenguinFriend  Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. I hope it will get many votes.

Giampi71
5K Racer

Please add to the list the Chromebooks that are an important part of the market.

MichaelPhiJac
Recovery Runner

Hey y'all,

[Be careful- rant ahead!]

When I got a FitBit Versa, I was excited to use it. Then I found out that you needed the app.

At the time, I only used Ubuntu, and I didn't have a smartphone. No supported OS, no smartphone, but I did have a $200-some watch that couldn't do anything.

When I built my computer, I swore to myself that I would never install Windows 10 on it. I hated Windows 10.

In denial, I went to this very same FitBit suggestions website that is here, and I found many people that wanted Linux support so badly.

What did we get?

We got replies from moderators saying that "we're working on it" and "it's planned in development". At the very end of that thread was a final post from a moderator saying that the case has been closed and the status is "not currently planned"!

I was not happy. FitBit alienated about 65 million people by not giving them support for an OS that is simple to write programs for. Give us a Python script, a tar.gz file, something, anything that works and is first-party! Third-party programs like Galileo are old and do not work for newer FitBit devices.

Please, I'm running out of reasons to run Windows any longer. Make a FitBit app on Linux; it will bring people that are running Linux but don't want to install Windows to you.

Thanks,

Michael

SpO2
Recovery Runner

Linux users want to stay fit, too!

And since there is no one size fits all media player that we all use (like iTunes for OSX), we would like a simple music file transfer option in Linux. This way we can send our music and podcasts to our Fitbit Versa or Fitbit Ionic.

Please, don't spend 2 years building a highly specific app that works with one specific media player on one specific Linux distro. We need the most simple API for doing this, and the Linux community will do the rest.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SpO2 ! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

tstrike34
Jogger

Folks...

First things first... thank you Fitbit developers and helpers for your hard work.

Now lets talk turkey. Linux has very significant market share. Linux and its vast array of flavors and desktops have gone mainstream. Roughly 90% of app developers have their apps in 3 major OS flavors: Microsoft, Mac, and Linux.

Where is Fitbit in all of this (in reference to Linux)? You get to choose the flavor of Linux and the delivery/installation method thereby offering the easiest path to resistance (saying that in a cheeky way). Why have you all not taken this up?

It would be a BOON to you developers and would likely smash your competitors in the marketspace because of your vaunted versatility. If you are working on Linux, is there some way we Linux Fitbiters can assist in the UAT?

Thanks!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @tstrike34 and @PenguinFriend, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.