Switch from always on display to custom watch face when raising to wake

This should be a very simple software upgrade. Just got a Versa 2 and wish the always on display would automatically switch to my custom watch face, when I raise to wake, without me having to tap the screen.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

17 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Sninja13 thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option on your new Versa 2. Keep adding your ideas with us.

asiayeah
Pace Setter

It's likely a technical limitation that Versa 2 will be unable to deliver.

Sninja13
First Steps

I do not think the moderator edited subject accurately describes what I am suggesting. I am not suggesting the custom watch face be the always on watch face. I am suggesting that you use the same feature you use to wake the watch when you raise it, is instead used as a trigger to switch to your custom watchface.

asiayeah
Pace Setter

I see. I think it is a reasonable suggestion and Fitbit should make it optional. I can understand raising the wrist to display the original watchface will consume more power. 

@YojanaFitbit Can you kindly update the title for this suggestion accordingly?

wb7qni
Jogger

I finally migrated from my Pebble to the Versa 2 based on an upgrade to the most-used watch face (Fair Tides) for marine tides, weather, and time.

Though I appreciate the upgraded screen size and other features of the newer tech, I sorely miss the ability to shake my wrist to turn on the watch face. (In the case of the always-on Pebble screen, shaking turned on the backlight.) 

Among other things, I'm a mechanic and often have only one hand free while looking at my watch. Having to move my other hand over to tap the screen or depress the button just to view the watch face is a huge step backwards from the "older" Pebble technique. Raising and turning my wrist doesn't work because I often have my wrist inverted or in an odd position when working, so would have to stand up, orient my forearm, and then move my wrist to see the watch face. In more than half the cases, that doesn't even work.

So: my plea to FitBit. PLEASE add a flick wrist feature to turn on the watch face.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and removed personal information

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @wb7qni, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about having an option to turn on the screen by shaking your wrist with us! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

setpebble
Keeping Pace

Clever idea, and I would like to see this feature also.

hlovsted
First Steps

I agree I would like the clock to wake when I move my arm. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

When I activate Always-On Display on my Versa 2, the wake gesture is deactivated and the screen can only be activated by pressing the button or with a double tap. I love AOD, it was the main reason for not buying the Versa and wait for Versa 2, but this is a bad behavior.

For example, I like to open the Spotify app to see the artists/song names of what I am listening to, but with AOD on I need one hand to press the button and wake it, on every song.

Or, if I am on exercise mode, I cannot quickly wake it and swipe the screen between time, calories etc, instead I must click the button and then swipe.

Please correct it and allow both at the same time, as advertised:

2019-09-30_10h16_35.png

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi! I found this after posting my own suggestion for the same problem:  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Allow-wake-gesture-with-Always-On-Display/idi-p/...

Voted here also 👍

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @wb7qni and @SunsetRunner. Thanks to both of you for posting your ideas and explaining why you'd like to have the option to switch from "Always On Display" mode to the clock face on your Versa 2 when raising your wrist! This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your posts here. Don’t forget to post a comment and click on the thumbs-up to show your support!

LFrost15
Jogger
Healthcare FitBit users need an updated where the “Always On” Analog option has a second hand.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LFrost15, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option on Fitbit Versa. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

wb7qni
Jogger
To reiterate my initial suggestion:

A wrist shake would allow the least effort to view watch faces.

1. Consistency would be much better than “raise to view,” which works much less than desired.
2. No more need for touching the side button or screen would allow use when fingers are not available, which is most of the time I want to see the face.

James
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I'm not sure what this wrist shake would be. To me any shaking would be unnatural compared to simply bringing the watch to where I can read the face. Seldom if ever doing so fails to turn on the display.

Now to comment on the subject of this thread about lifting the arm up should switch from the AOD to the standard display 

The reason I find the AOD useless is because I never get the chance to see this screen unless the watch is off my wrist.

Anytime I try to look at the time on the watch the display changes so fast from AOD to the standard that the AOD can not be read. 

wb7qni
Jogger

I'm a mechanic and find that I cannot get the display to show when I'm on the ground, laying down, sitting at an angle, and in many other positions. Yesterday, while working on an outboard with both hands covered in grease, couldn't get the watch face to show until I pressed the side button with a lithium-grease covered finger, totally contaminating the face.

On my prior Pebble, a slight wrist shake woke the face. It worked every time, did not require two handed operation or fingers, and would be easy to add to the FitBit features since it has an accelerometer built into it already.

wb7qni
Jogger

Another example: Can't see watch face while driving.

A shake feature to turn on the face would beat having to take other hand off the wheel to press the side button, or the watch hand off the wheel, lower to leg, raise to get the right gesture to see it. On the Pebbles, a quick wrist shake always works. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.