Sync "raw data" from Fitbit device to smartphone when no Internet connection

Currently, you need an Internet connection to synchronise your Fitbit device and your smartphone (presumably because most of the calculations for the stats are done at the server-level) and there is apparently no plan for an offline synchronisation.

The Fitbit device can hold a few days of data but you could be several days without an Internet connection if you go hiking in the wild or sailing or ... Furthermore some data (like the sleep stages I believe) are only kept for one day.

One solution would be to allow the raw data from the Fitbit device to be uploaded to the smartphone when you are not connected. The data would be uploaded to the Fitbit server when you have an Internet connection and a normal synchronisation would then take place.

Of course, if you lose your smartphone you would lose the data but you would lose it anyway if you spend too many days without Internet. The data could be kept both on the smartphone and the Fitbit device until the device runs out of storage or you connect to the Internet.

If this seems too complicated for average users, it could be implemented as an option for advanced users.

3 Comments
Status changed to: Not currently planned
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jhotterb,  thanks for sharing this suggestion.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQsFor now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

SalVader
Jogger

Should be able to sync with your phone and then upload data at a later date. Let us store data locally so that an internet connection is not required to see current stats. I do much desert expeditions and heart rate is a very important parameter, also a cycling setting on the fitbit charge like the running icon would be very appreciated.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SalVader, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on your smartphone. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.