Syncing data directly through USB without buying a dongle

I'll have to repeat my suggestion: I'm astonished not to find a request for this already. I don't always want to, or can, switch on wifi. My fitbit charges through a usb cable. Why is it not possible to sync data the same way? This would be a very useful feature if (safe) wifi is not available.

Someone from fitbit posted already exists in that I can buy a dongle but I strongly disagree and that is not what I meant. I mean syncing through the usb cable without a dongle and without a wireless connection of any kind and without having to buy more 'clutter'/a dongle. Other devices can and that's what usb was meant for and initially conceived for - data connections.The fact that it charges devices as well is secondary. Also, and linked to this, why do I need to switch on a computer every time I have to charge my fitbit. And yes I know... I can buy a charger... but my response to that is included above I think. To AlexandraFitbit, thank you for your response, though..

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity and labels

14 Comments
bunnypoops
Recovery Runner

I saw your first post and understand what you meant. And I agree. It doesn't make sense that Fitbit does not have a way to sync through the USB directly. An over-the-air connection simply will not always work, as I have found with my Charge 2. It irritates me that I can't just plug it into the computer and sync it manually. I've been through several tries of restarting the tracker and my phone and my bluetooth and everything, and the only way I can seem to end this frustration is by sending it back to get a new one. Well, I will  still lose all the data that I have stored in my tracker because I never did get it to sync. I'm not saying it shouldn't be able to sync over bluetooth, it's a nice feature, but not having any option to sync it while wired makes 0 sense. Also, why bluetooth and not wifi? 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi, @mct288 thanks for clarifying. That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion! We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

ripsaw7
First Steps

Trying to set up fitbit, calls for a dongle. It didn't come with a dongle. Setup wont let me move forward till I stick in a dongle. What a huge waste of time. This is going straight back to the store.

mct288
First Steps

Annoying isn't it? They seem to need to have all bells running before they want to do anything. IMO they could just as well work without internet or even bluetooth if it's on a pc/laptop, without needing to update everything to the web. I almost sent mine back as well and if it stays like this won't buy another one if this one breaks eventually. Their data collection seems to have utmost priority over usability.

3usr
First Steps

I have had a lot of problems with my fitbit charge 3, which I got for Christmas 2018. I have been to several stores (unfortunately not any of yours because they don't exist where I am) and they weren't very helpful, only said to reboot it. Which is another topic, my point is that I wanted to synchronize and reboot it by using the cable, but because it isn't implemented yet, i couldn't do that. But I could't connect with bluetooth either because something weird was going on. I never found out why, but after a month of trying to reboot it, it finally decided to do it. but then i lost all data.

I think this would have been a lot easier to fix if it was possible to connect via the cable. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @3usrthanks for sharing why you would like to have this feature available with our Fitbit devices. I've moved it into a similar request. You can also check this other suggestion, post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. See you around!

kjlafdsjl
Jogger
User connects fitbit to PC/mac over USB cable while using the Fitbit web app. User clicks 'sync over USB'. All new data of type activity/step/sleep/etc uploads to user Fitbit account.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kjlafdsjl, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync data directly through USB cable without buying a dongle. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

kjlafdsjl
Jogger

Hi There. Any news on this 'update'? Adding my suggestion to this two year old thread hasn't thus far resolved my issue.  I possess a 'smart' wristwatch (Ionic)  that saves activities, but does not sync with the app. Buying an Apple Watch if this isn't resolved in the next 7 days.

Axxitan
Jogger
Ability to update firmware on devices via usb charger.
ivanlnelson
Jogger

The fitbit update is way too slow.  Reduce the code size for updates, improve the transport compression of code.

ivanlnelson
Jogger

You should be able to navigate from the update screen while an update continues.  You should be able to use your phone during an update.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ivanlnelson, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync and update Fitbit devices via USB charger. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.