Team Option for Challenges

Create a team option for challenges such as the Workweek Hustle.  The team with the highest average wins.  Suppose you want to set up three teams such as:

• (You) Captain Kirk, Bones, Spock
  • Captain Stubing, Julie, Gopher
  • Captain Dallas, Ripley, Kane

First, you invite the other captains (as captains), then you (and the other captains) invite your teammates (as teammates) like such:

fitbit-teamchallenge-invites.jpg

Once everyone has been added, the leaderboard will sort the rank of teams first, then within teams, shows the rank among the teammates like this:

fitbit-teamchallenge-leaderboard.jpg

The chatter can be designated within the team or for the entire challenge.  The limits can be expanded to say 3 teams and 10 members within each team.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

185 Comments
JoanneinCA
Strider
I have a suggestion for a feature that I think would be beneficial to both Fitbit and its many users. I can now compete against individuals on my Fitbit Friends list and see their daily progress. I think it would be great if I could team up with one or two of those friends and create a Team. I would be able to see the Team's progress on a separate screen just like I can see individual steps from my friends now.

Why would this be a good idea? It would be even more motivating to get those steps in and not let the team down.<br>It would encourage more friends to purchase Fitbits and join the Team.<br>It would encourage current Fitbit users to stay with the brand because of the teams and more involvement. I don't know of any other brand that has a feature like this. Brand involvement = brand loyalty.<br>It would be fun and Fitbit should be all about fun.
eddna
Jogger
I agree completely!! Team Challenges would be so awesome. Both teams would need the same number of participants, a team leader, and deadline. I'm really for this!!! Another idea is to have Team Marathon Challenges that is recorded by the GPS walk/ run/ hike tracker. Team with the most recorded miles in a week wins! That will really motivate people to get out more often!!
Wheatley
First Steps
I think there should be teams that you could join every week just like the weekly challenges. This way you could compete between families and friends.
lisahunt72
Jogger
Hi All, I'd like to create some teams, using the friend option on Fit Bit. For example, Lisa and Angel team up against Jim and Mike to see which team gets the most steps on one day. So far I can only see how to compare individual dashboards, is there a way complile so it's a more team approach? Thanks! I posted the above in the general forum and was directed to this thread.. I would love to see this happen!
BarryHyslop
First Steps

It would be fun if we could make teams and compete against each other in custom challenges.

-Relays:

Each team selects one participant for each day of the week to see which team racks up the most steps come the end of the week.

OR

There is a custom goal, say 20,000 steps per participant. Once a person finishes their 20,000 it passes the baton on to the next person on the team to carry on. The first team to X number of steps, calories burned, floors climbed, or activity minutes wins.

-First team to reach a certain cumulative goal wins.

-Team that completes the most in a given time frame wins.

-Start and end times should be customizable as well as titles and perhaps a display picture all from any interface.

There should also be badges for winning challenges so that people can acrue a virtual trophy case from competing.

Brenda214
First Steps

I love the idea of the custom challenges!  I would also like to see more than 10 participants allowed in a challenge.  I've encouraged many friends to get FitBits, but now we can't all be in the same challenge.  

Fitsport
Jogger
I would like the ability to create teams from my friends list to compete in Challenges (For example, our family against another family).
Storm5471
First Steps
Create the option to establish a team and battle other community teams. An example could be 5 versus 5 which ever team has the most steps (or calories burnt, etc.) in the week wins. You could even do this as a 2 versus 2.
bplumb
First Steps
i think it would be great motivation if we were able to be in a team on team challenge. just an idea but more challenges would be awesome.
Some way to keep track of the challenges that have been done would be cool even mame badges for those wins (I love badges 😆).
lizza221
Jogger

I love the idea of cooperative challenges so a group can work together against another group to get the highest average number of steps for the week/day!  I would be more motivated to not let my team down then just throwing in the towel on a personal challenge I'm losing.

Zako
First Steps
I think it would be awesome to have co-op challenges where you form a team of your friends. Then everyone who is a part of that team pools their steps to meet the determined goal within a specific time frame.
You could also have team challenges where groups of people could challenge other groups.
ch333
Jogger

I think it would be great to have collective challanges where the participants are trying to reach a total goal (e.g., the gorup's total step challange for the day/week, x amount of steps per participant, or another step goal set by the challanger).

SonyaNicole
Jogger
I do a goal day challenge every day with the same group of folks. We are very supportive of each other and have fun together. I think it would be helpful, motivating, and fun if we as a group could challenge other groups. Thank you.
Michael
5K Racer

I love this idea! @PureEvil I think you have done a great job of explaining it and mocking the interface up!

marcusfacius
Jogger

This is an awesome idea!

SgtWilko
Jogger
Fantastic idea!
werionae
Tempo Runner

great idea!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Awesome idea!

JimAltier
First Steps

New Team Challenge category
I think there should be a new Team Challenge category. We started doing the Workweek Hustle, but some people in the challenge can only do say 10,000 steps while others are doing 25,000 a day. Which was causing frustration and making people feel unmotivated. If a new Team Challenge category was created, team members could set a accumulated goal for the 5 days. This way everyone is trying to help reach the accumulated goal and not competing against each other.
Each team member would submit their estimated goal for the week. Example:
Jim 125000
Jean 7500
Mark 17500
Ann 37500
Team Total 187500

If someone is runing  short, someone else could help the team by doing more.

At the end of the work week, people can step up and help each other out. This way they are working as a team and also help motivated each other.

PureEvil
10K Racer

There are a couple of feature requests that may be related to yours.

First, the Team option for challenges, which is similar to what you're suggesting except that it also has the option to compete against other teams.  In this case you can team people together so that team-wise the averages are similar.

Second, using 'adjusted' step count on challenges, the premise here is that the more active folks have a step count that they need to pass before their steps start to count on the challenge.  This is similar to how a handicap works in golf.

Bronya
First Steps

We have a league of 5 or so WW teams, growing all the time. This would mean our league manager could track it all himself without having one person from each challenge submit the records manually after each challenge.  

So yes please to a challenge league management capabiility - this would be prefect.

griggril000
Jogger

How do you do that on a Windows 7 with a Fitbit Charge?

ShainaB
First Steps

As a side note, adding people to groups is a tedious and annoying process. You should be able to choose friends and add them and not gather everyone's e-mail address!

My request is that groups be able to set goals/ challenges for those in the group instead of just discussions. Thank you!

Alex_P
Jogger

I would like the ability to compete in teams such as 2 vs 2, 5 vs 5, etc.   This would be a great motivator at work as we could compete with other departments...how fun would that be?

acmarsh
Jogger

I would really like to see an option to create a team challenge for the daily, weekend and workweek challenges, where a team could consist of 1 or more team members. I find myself doubling or tripling most of my friends steps in challenges. I think it would create more motivation to have members be able to team up and challenge higher skilled steppers. And yes I could choose to ignore challenges from family members who are well below my skill level, but I would love to see them get motivated and step it up.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.