Tile to track alcohol intake

Hi team!  How about a tile on the dashboard to track alcohol intake?  It could count calories, alcohol free days, units of alcohol per day, etc.  It could help us reduce or moderate our drinking and that always helps towards better health!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and label

79 Comments
LantaDarren
Jogger

I've tried to use a secondary app to track alcohol consumption, but the tricky thing is there's no automatic way to track it, because inevitably you have to hit a button to say "yes, I had a beer, apply the metrics". Fast forward 10 beers, and it goes to **ahem**. Until Fitbit figures out a way to automatically track that yes, you have just had a beer, it will never work. 

I'd love to be proved wrong as i'd love this feature but its a fitness tracker on your wrist, not a computer that can figure out how much beer /  tequila / vodka / whatever you have drunk.

oggy7
First Steps

A way on making an alcohol tile. 

In the UK bottles, cans and spirit shots are ascribed a unit count, eg 1 x 25 ml shot whisky = 1 unit, 1 x 175 ml (medium) glass wine = 2 units, 1 x pint of lower-strength lager/beer/cider (ABV 3.6%) = 2 units, 1 x pint of higher-strength lager/beer/cider (ABV 5.2)  = 3 units.

One alcohol unit is measured as 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol.

Recommended level is max 14 units per week and having 3 (I think) totally dry days.  Then tables indicate the medical and associated risks of higher levels (up to 100!!)

I don't know how other counties give alcohol guidance.  But this seems a straightforward way to achieve a daily and weekly/monthly alcohol monitor

emilh
First Steps

Second this. It would be great being able to track this (and caffeine), in particular if you could get an analysis correlating alcohol, caffeine and exercise on sleep quality (like this person did: https://medium.com/better-humans/the-effects-of-caffeine-alcohol-and-exercise-on-sleep-analyzing-the...).

Caroline.mcalee
First Steps

I just Googled how to track alcohol using Fitbit, and found this thread, so yes, I'd love this feature added!

chameleonjrnl
Jogger

This would be a great idea! I'd love to see both the calories, the alcohol intake and units

cpdesjardins
Jogger

I want this.  It is just a report, as I already enter beers etc. as food intake. 

many benefits from tracking alcohol units per week and there are accepted benchmarks for healthy and unhealthy consumption. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Definitely gets my vote. The Covid 19 Pandemic has seen a real increase in problem drinking. For those really wanting to try and make a change it would be invaluable to have alcohol units tracking on Fitbit. And it would be very interesting to see its effect on sleep patterns/quality and overall exercise performance. 

Just774
First Steps

Fully support this, the post by Lanta Darren is brilliant.  I believe Alcohol also contributes a lot to Cardio Fitness score because alcohol has such a direct impact on heart rate.  

Laughinglouisa
First Steps

I would definitely support this. I hope Fitbit take our suggestion and make it a reality. 

ElizaYoda
Jogger
Add a counter for alcoholic drinks to help with health tracking.
LizzieBT
First Steps

As part of improving my health would really be pleased to be able to monitor daily units of alcohol on my Charge 4 only bought yesterday and already I’ve walked further today to get to my target of 10,000 steps. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ElizaYoda. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to track your alcohol intake with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

geoguide
First Steps

I would really like this. I have been trying to approximate it with the water tracker.

geoguide
First Steps

I would really like this. I have been trying to approximate it with the water tracker.

geoguide
First Steps

Crazy that you can't edit or delete comments?

KNagisa
Jogger

I don't think that you can keep alcohol intake under control by using the water meter. Lol.

cpdesjardins
Jogger
Food meter, not water meter.
CarolineTucker7
Recovery Runner

KNagisa, of course, you can't. It would be so much fun to see that reminder from the app to drink some whiskey. Anyways, is the feature of alcohol tracking available yet? Although I've already recovered from alcoholism, this app would be very useful for people to prevent this addiction. I've enrolled myself to Alcoholics Anonymous & Other Mutual Aid Support Groups in order to encourage those who are in need. I was in their place, so I know what they're struggling with. This center has a constructive approach so I'm sure they'll overcome this issue. Still, it's better to prevent something rather than treating it, and the alcohol tracking Fitbit option would do a great job.

summertimeblue
First Steps

Yes please add a way to track alcohol consumption. I think it would be very motivating to drink less if you could see the positive effects on sleep patterns, heart rate etc.

Vicky_Louise
First Steps

I would also like to see a feature where you can log your alcohol intake and track your units. As others have said would be very useful and relevant.

What do you think Fitbit team, is this something you can make please? There is clearly a lot of support for this feature!

CallumScott
First Steps

I would love amg us this feature.  I was looking for this exact solution to tracking alcohol.  

GoodboyErrol
Jogger

I think an alcohol tracker would be extremely beneficial.

Alcohol has huge health impacts, I’m actually quite astonished that it’s not already part of the whole thing 

silllygoose
First Steps

Please add alcohol tracking to Fitbit, I'd love to do more in one place, than track using another app. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

As someone who consumes alcohol regularly, I would love to have this feature in the app. I mean, not to sound rude but how could a glaring omission like this occur? Spirits are quite popular, so....why not include this information?

A few years back, I remember Crown Royal was one of the first spirits to share their nutritional information (https://fortune.com/2015/10/06/crown-royal-nutritional-facts/). One would think that the others would have followed suit. 😕

To the people behind FitBit, you have an amazing product. I hope you take advantage of this opportunity to not only improve your product but to promote it by staying ahead of the competition. A tracker is only as good as it's accompanying software/app. I actually considered buying an app which was supposedly better than the FitBit app which came with my Charge 4.

Just my two cents, but if you want to build your customer base you need to give them a reason to promote your brand (word of mouth). We shouldn't need to buy third party software/apps. It should be included in your software/app.

'nuff said.

Tr0phyW1fe
Jogger
When you drink have a sensor that measures your blood alcohol level and how it effects fat burn, calories, readiness score etc
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.