Tile to track alcohol intake

Hi team!  How about a tile on the dashboard to track alcohol intake?  It could count calories, alcohol free days, units of alcohol per day, etc.  It could help us reduce or moderate our drinking and that always helps towards better health!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and label

79 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AdelineL! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about a tile on the dashboard to track alcohol intake.

CSherry
Jogger

Would love this! I add my calories through the nutrition tracker but having a separate log with more information would be really useful. I think we're all pretty bad at accurately estimating how much we're drinking, so for those of us trying to make sure we don't overdo it, a separate log would be SUPER helpful!

BigDSmallO
First Steps

It would be good also to track alcohol calories in the nutrition tracker, as opposed to 'Uncategorized Calories'

BrianneKN
Jogger

I’d really like to see this option. Thank you!

agb592
First Steps

Agreed! I'd like to see a way to log the type and number of drinks and get information about estimated blood alcohol level, weekly and long term trends etc. 

SuzF54
First Steps

I would find this very useful.

Joche
Recovery Runner

I had the same idea. For me it could be very simple. Just a possibility to track intake of drinks. I would then myself be able to see whether or not this influences my sleep (for example less deep sleep). Or maybe even my heartrate.

And also it would be useful if you could track this on your watch, because when drinking with friends i dont want to use my phone. Then later i can check the app to see what time i drank, and if i can drive my car already or have to wait for a few hours.

DSO73
First Steps

This would be great. I was actually looking for a companion app to do just this and found this suggestion. I don’t enter calories (can’t be bothered) so I would love to track alcohol intake on its own. I'd be particularly interested in comparing heart rate and sleep on alcohol days with no alcohol days. 

Gomama
First Steps

I want this, too!  

Liuba
Jogger

It would be a great option - I really want this! To see how the sleep also changes with alcohol intake

Jcsawyer
First Steps

This would be fantastic!

4weddingz
First Steps

Agree this would be excellent.  I’m trying to track influence of alcohol consumption on other metrics especially sleep... in particular the sub-elements of sleep like % deep sleep.  This would be a huge help.

stephenkress
Jogger

An advanced feature would be to then degrade the intake over time.  As estimate of BAC (Gawd, don't bring up all the legal ramifications of this!) to assist decision making...

The fitbit has your body mass and the timing of the intakes - all that is necessary for a very good BAC estimate

Taz0
First Steps

Alcohol tracker would be brilliant addition. I am using separate app for this (Drinkaware) be good to have al in one place. 

Another useful addition would be a blood pressure tracker. Also using separate app for this. 

DCE99
First Steps

Great idea! Please develop this.

MarkS20
First Steps

I’ve been using a separate app for this and the information really helps me achieve alcohol-free days. It would be great if this info could be within the Fitbit app. Please develop this. 

BrendanF
Stepping Up

Definitely worth having. I was wondering about using the water tracker or the food tracker, neither of which I have any use for, and I am sure I can come up with some way to bodge them to do it.  But it would be great to have a proper tracker, which should include number of standard drinks.  Easy to do if you enter the percentage of alcohol, which is given on most drinks these days, and the amount you are drinking. Cheers. 🍻😎:moai: 

LantaDarren
Jogger

Would really like this. After seeing my resting heart rate go down by 30% after stopping drinking for a week I want to track this in detail.

Joche
Recovery Runner
I dont know if you are a girl but your cycle influences your resting heart
rate immensly. So you cant really say that after a week. After a month you
can see if its lower than usual.

(Just look at your rhr in three-month-view)
LantaDarren
Jogger

I'm male.  If I have my maths right my resting heart rate has dropped 24% in 9 days of not drinking, from 75bpm to 57 bpm and still dropping daily. Its actually highlighted to me just how much I have been drinking, which led me to this forum and the possibility of Fitbit tracking alcohol consumption. Here's the data:

Nothing else has changed in the past 10 days or so that has been different for the last 30 days other than no alcohol. I'm still working the same hours, and sleeping the same. Pretty sure I can say the only reason for such a dramatic drop resting heart rate is reduced alcohol consumption. 

It would be great if Fitbit had a built in tracker alongside food / calories / water - this has been a real eye opener for me.

MarkS20
First Steps

Same here, if I go a week without alcohol before a holiday I can get my resting heart rate under 60 but as I drink every day on holiday it slowly goes up to the mid-’70s. I’ve had a Fitbit for a few years and can see this pattern repeating its-self which is why I use another app to help me achieve a few alcohol-free days each week. It would be much easier to monitor within the Fitbit app.

GvenkatG
Jogger

@MarkS20 What is that app?

Taz0
First Steps
Drinkaware

Kind regards

Andy
oggy7
First Steps

This is a brilliant idea. I would love to know correlation between alcohol and sleep patterns (as well as on general levels of health and fatigue). 

There have been no comments on this topic this year. Does that mean the idea has been dropped or (more hopefully) Fitbit designers are working on it

Taz0
First Steps
I asked for it to be considered by Fitbit on this community and have heard nothing

Kind regards

Andy
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.