Track breathing during sleep

I've been watching the sleep app, and it has been helping. But last night, no idea why I woke at 2 am, just felt very strange. Went to the dashboard and realized while I could check the sleep, there was nothing that matched breathing with the sleep. If there was a respiration app, or a corresponding line with breathing while asleep over the daily sleep graph, it might help. I never think I have apnea, but last night was weird enough that I would like to have double checked so I know Doctor or No Doctor. (Versa)

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and Labels

19 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion with us @LMcRocky.

Being able to track breathing could definitely help in a lot of different instances. 

Let's see what other users think about it.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Currently breathing during the relax function uses the Heart  Rate Variable (HRV), and during sleep the same HRV is used to detect sleep stages.

It would be interesting how this could be implemented,  but then again the Fitbit developers have implemented other features that seem magical. 

Tim1023
Jogger

I gather that Fitbit have included a SP02 sensor in a couple of devices, e.g.the Versa, but not yet activated any functionality based on it. Perhaps this might give some indication about breathing. Or at least how effective your breathing is at oxygenating your blood.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit is using three SpO2 sensor and its reading for the beta sleep score, a few others not in this beta test have reported seeing a red light at night.

LMcRocky
First Steps
So is this working like a pulse-ox? Judging levels thru the skin? That might be just the ticket.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Essentially yes an led skins light into the skin and a sensor reads the result

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Grray idea. I have times where the app shows I woke up but I have no idea why & I don't remember it. 

Calathea77
Tempo Runner

Are Fitbits actually able to do this accurately? This is far more medical use than sports/lifestyle use, so it's far more important that it doesn't get it wrong. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Calathea77 I really doubt that being is monitored.  Forgot it's the time between the heart beats to determine the sleep stages. This is also what fitbit users to determine the breathing during the relax function. 

tashan88
Jogger

The huawei band 3 pro and huawei honor band 4 has great sleep analysis with suggestions and tracks breathing and is respectively £70 and £100 respectively (in the UK) than the charge 3 

curryb15
Jogger

This is a great idea !

bellagorilla
Recovery Runner

As someone with sleep apnea, I think this is a great feature idea.

Timberwoof
Jogger

Tracking breathing indirectly though pulmonary arrhythmia or pulse-ox seems difficult and unreliable, and events such as sleep apnea may not show up. Direct measurements are hard. I would put up with a chest band like my old and unlamented Garmin heart rate monitor had. Then apnea becomes a direct measurement, and a "Wake up! You've stopped breathing!" buzz would be reliable and useful. 

PhiloPharynx
Recovery Runner

I would love to have some way to get oxygen data.  I suspect the delay is partially related to FDA and other national approvals.

@Timberwoof, Pulse oximetry would not have the same resolution or accuracy as a chest band.  While it wouldn't show some of the smallest problems, it does measure the important part that your blood oxygen levels are dropping.  For the purposes of a wake up alarm, I suspect that it would be pretty close.

dezellis
Recovery Runner

If you think you may have Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA).

Check out the Epworth Sleepiness scale at the following link.

https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/obstructive-sleep-apnoea-osa/diagnosis/epworth-sleepiness-sca...

Regards

Dez Ellis

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @LMcRocky and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience :). To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

I came on looking for this exact tracker as I think I could have sleep apnoea too as most nights my heart rate is above average and I jolt out of sleep like I can’t breath! 

dezellis
Recovery Runner
Complete the Epworth sleepiness questionnaire, take the result to your
doctor, explain how you sometimes wake as you described. That is enough
evidence to get tested. Ask for an overnight pulse oximitery monitor. If
you are stopping breathing it will show as dips in oxygen levels in your
blood.
https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/obstructive-sleep-apnoea-osa/diagnosis/epworth-sleepiness-sca...
Status changed to: Released (Premium)
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this suggestion is released on Fitbit Premium, our new health and fitness subscription service. You're now able to see your breathing rate in the Health Metrics tile in the Fitbit app. To find more about this, check this help article.

@LMcRocky, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! We have also given you access to Fitbit Premium so that you can explore and enjoy this suggestion.

Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.