Trade in/Upgrade Program

I've been a fitbit user for a little over a year now, receiving one as a gift last Christmas. Now seeing how my flex is so behind the times, I would like to upgrade to one of the HR ones. However, spending another 130-150 is very difficult. Wanting Fitbit to offer an upgrade or trade in program to allow for this to be more affordable.

Moderator Edit: Title & Labels

476 Comments
Eurocelt
Jogger
From my intro to Fitbit through a company subsidized program and not wanting to make a larger investment up front, I've now shed over 20lbs and very much I'm at a stage where I want to to see more metrics and details than are offered on my flex.

Upgrade / trade in or at least a 20% returning customer discount, would certainly improve brand popularity, help work of mouth sales - the strongest form of sale outside of returning custom, and shift more units and get older units into the hands of others which would otherwise not be customers or users of the products!!
Be
Smee81
Recovery Runner

I have had 2 Charge HRs come apart... one while under warranty and one, of course, just after the warranty's end.

I would like to see a Trade In/Trade-Up style of program available.  I think it could lead to keeping your customer base happier and more confident in the product.  I love my FitBit(s), but it's durability/longevity leaves more to be desired.

Thanks,

Becky

VickiV
First Steps
I have a charge hr that I love. I would like to see an upgrade or trade in program so I can upgrade to the new charge2. I really believe it would increase the customer base to have such a program. It sure helped with my Apple products.

Thanks, Vicki
jrep918
Jogger
I agree! I have the Charge HR, and had it replaced through Fitbit a couple of times due to wear and tear on the non-replaceable band. Now, the new Charge 2 has a replaceable band. I should be able to trade in my Charge HR for some type of discount on the Charge 2, especially since the band is once again starting to bubble and pull away at the seam.
KristenLS
Jogger
I wish there was a trade in or credit toward other model program, I don't want another tracker that dies within a year again. My first Fitbit a flex lasted 3 years, my charge HR 10 months! WHY would I want another of the same one? Without a trade in policy I'm not going to keep spending money on trackers from Fitbit, next major purchase I will go elsewhere.
St3F1985
First Steps
I had the same problem, KristenLS! However, Fitbit did give me a 25% off discount. But as soon as I ordered the Alta, the dang new Charge came out! I can't exchange it, either.. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone
GeezerGeek
Recovery Runner
If for nothing else, there should be a trade in for the Fitbit charge HR. The band broke on my charge HR in less than a year. The problem was reported by many users and Fitbit replaced many all of the charge HR that had broken bands. I didn't know that Fitbit was replacing the charge HRs or I would have had mine replaced. Now I have a charge HR that is held together with tape and I have to retape it every week. It was a defective design that was fixed in the charge 2. I'm not happy that I paid for a device that broke in 8 months
Galaxyreader
First Steps

Add me to the number of people who would like to see a trade-in/upgrade program. I have a Flex that I replaced with a Charge HR, and I'd like to get the Charge 2, but I can't justify having all this old tech sitting around my house. And selling on eBay/Craigslist isn't worth all the trouble - I don't even want to go that route for old phones anymore, and those are worth more $$$. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Fitbit would really benefit from a trade in program or costumer credit for returning (recycling) their old Fitbit Models.  I have a One that my husband purchased for me two years ago, and I would really like to upgrade to one of the newer models, but I just can't justify spending $14o+ when I already have one that works perfectly fine. With all the new upgrades and inclusion of apps that track our healths and steps in our mobile devices the Fitbits are becoming more and more absolete, it would be nice for them to cater to their existing costumer base who are loyal to their brand and have been asking for this sort of program for a while. 

Bengals-chix
First Steps
I wrote fitbit and they told me to post my idea on here so I don't know if this will even matter or consider to be like something else......

I was thinking since there is always new fitbits out you guys should do it like they do phone plans. Like every two years you can upgrade to a new fitbit or trade in your old fit bit and get money off a new fitbit. They are coming out with cooler ones and I do want to get a new one but my fitbit now is still in Good shape but what would I even do with the old one? Everyone I know has one. That's why think be cool if could do like a fitbit plan or trade in your old one for money off on a new one something along those lines . Hopefully it makes sense. Thanks for your time!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I would agree with this.
russellp23
Jogger

The new Charge 2 or any FitBit product of my choosing?  If I've been having problems with my HR, it seems only logical I would prefer to try something else.  I don't mind paying the additional cost and it seems only right to offer me the choice considering I've been inconvenienced and let down by my Charge HR.

ChrisCycles
Stepping Up

I bought an Alta that I really like and have had it a couple months.  The company I work for just purchased the Charge HR for all of us and I like having the extra stats but cannot stand this band.  I think the Charge 2 looks a little more like the Alta and I would love to be able to switch to the 2 but am not wanting to purchase another device and have these 2 extra trackers laying around.  A trade-in program would be IDEAL.

calicopaws
Stepping Up

I was hoping there was a trade in program after seeing the new flex2 email just a bit ago.  Bought my flex during the mother's day sale this year, and now a new type is available 😕   With a trade in I would even consider one of the others but I'm not going to put a perfectly working band in a drawer and pay for a new band! 

Keither7
First Steps
I think a lot of first purchasers do not understand the full potential of a Fitbit. After using it we realize perhaps the next model would better suit our needs. Heart rate, time feature, stair climbing and a few others and suffer from buyers dissonance. Perhaps a "trade in" value for an upgraded may induce further sales.
Eurocelt
Jogger
So the idea to respond, post in here is clearly a simple diversion of their attention, by taking the focus of the customer to their peers and I suggest they will do nothing without some serious and public action.

I’m taking to twitter, Instagram and other social media to raise the awareness.

Please follow @ttrenberth on twitter and Instagram to share and elevate the attention with hashtag #FitBitUpgrade

Thanks
Eurocelt
Jogger

So the idea to make us respond & post in here is clearly a simple diversion of their attention, by taking the focus of the customer to their peers and I suggest they will do nothing without some serious and public action.

I’m taking to twitter, Instagram and other social media to raise the awareness.

Please follow @ttrenberth on twitter and Instagram to share and elevate the attention with hashtag #FitBitUpgrade

Thanks

amazon kind of has a trade in program, they have a trade in store where you can trade in items and get credit on amazon for it. I've used it before and it would be really cool if Fitbit did something like that. 

Kafrosini
First Steps
I think that if we've already purchased a device and had to get a replacement that there should be an option to return the damaged device and also perhaps upgrade to a newer device. By upgrade I don't mean for free but to pay the difference and not be eligible for coupons or discounts. Like the charge 2 is about $150 and the charge HR is $130. If my charge HR breaks then I would like an option to either get a a replacement of the same type or pay the difference to upgrade to the newer device. I've already paid the $130 for the charge HR so it would be nice to only have to pay the difference and use those who get to upgrade as promotional individuals. This will probably never happen but it would be awesome because I'm on my third charge HR, 2nd replacement to my original, and would love to upgrade with out paying another $150. I appreciate anyone viewing this and getting it to the top!
allfoster4
Recovery Runner

has fitbit introduced a trade in / trade up program? I'm really disappointed with my charge HR especially the cummbersome activation of digital scrolling display and the limitations of GPS.

Germaiian
First Steps

Yes, great idea.  Make it so, Fitbit.  Reward your loyal customers.

Akh725
Recovery Runner

It would be great to have a trade in program. Would like to upgrade but can't justify spending the money without getting some kind of return on the original investment. I'm cool with it being less than I paid, that's only fair since I've gotten use out of it & it still works. 

chelsieb
First Steps

I recieved the Fitbit Alta for Christmas.  I found out later that it does not have a heart rate tracker, which really upset me.  (Kindof lacks a point, only steps and no heart rate? Impossible to track workouts). I wanted to exchange this for a Charge 2, but I was informed that there is no exchange program and that I would need to just return it, wait for the refund to return to the gifters account, then buy it on my own (instead of exchanging and me paying the difference). Super inconvienent, espeically to loyal customers.

Please implement an exchange program to save other cusotmers this frustration. It makes me want to consider other activity trackers.

DaveMcC
Recovery Runner

Agreed!  I have a Surge which has had to be replaced 3 times due to faulty straps.  At no point could I exchange it for something different, even at a loss of cost for myself (e.g. a Blaze with a replaceable band), but instead had to get the same product.  An exchange program would benefit us greatly as customers instead of the nickel and diming that comes off from the current process.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

YES!!!!!  We need this.  Also what would be nice in addition to the trade in program is for Fitbit to refurbish the traded in items and then they could sell them on their website for a reduced price.

I would definitely get a new Fitbit every time a new model came out, if I could trade in my old one and get some kind of a discount.

Please bring this option to the consumers, it would be awesome!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.