Turn off fitbit pay

At work a tag removing machine on the counter continually sets off my fitbit pay screen and runs down my battery. As we can't even use the option widely in uk can there be an option to turn it off?

18 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. This could be useful for users that won't use Fitbit Pay that much and also for battery saving. Keen to hear what others think?

jimpii
First Steps

I agree, I work daily with a RFID chip reader beside me and it constantly makes my Versa come up wanting to use Pay ad drain my battery.

Similar to this user's issue who posted on the forum https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Is-it-possible-to-turn-off-Fitbit-Pay/td-p/2665909

CrysFit
Recovery Runner

I agree as well. I also work in a library and my Fitbit Versa goes off any time I’m near an RFID reader or go through the security gates. I am hoping this won’t be the case when I go shopping (?)

It’s a nice option to have, but I don’t really need it at this time. It would be ideal tho have the option to turn the feature off, and only turn it on when needed.

Maybe-Jodie
Jogger

Yes please!!!

I also work were there is a tag reader at the desk (in a library) and it is setting my Versa off CONSTANTLY! 
Very annoying as I haven't even set up the 'pay' feature and don't use it anyway as my bank isn't supported.
Would be really great to turn these notifications off!

CrysFit
Recovery Runner

Just to update:  
I have found that this doesn't happen anywhere other than the library where I work.  Shopping is fine.  No other security gates set it off.

I tried deleting my 'wallet' from the versa, but it still activates whenever I am near an RFID pad at work or go through our security gates.

This is very annoying.

Can anyone from Fitbit give us an update as to whether we might be able to turn this feature off in the future?

nina_claudia
First Steps

I have the exact same problems as a librarian. It would be great, if the RFID could be disabled.

Josh_A
Jogger

Just got my Versa just last weekend, and the Fitbit Pay notifications were driving me bonkers until I found this thread on the forum. Had thought my watch was faulty. Am dismayed nothing has been done about this problem since this suggestion was set up almost half a year ago. I am a research student and spend many hours of my day at the library and the constant buzz on my wrist is extremely distracting. As a result, I have turned off ALL notifications, but that hasn't helped either. 

Please, Fitbit, hear the agonised cries of your users and do something now.

Thank you

PernillaM
First Steps

I have the same issue. I bought a Versa yesterday and was very disappointed when it triggered the Pay functionality every time I was near an RFID reader, draining my battery to 50% in ONE day. Not being able turn it off has to be a security issue as well.

According to my husband (who has an Ionic) this functionality was triggered manually in previous versions of the firmware. 

If this feature can't be turned off I will have no choice but to return the watch to the vendor.

Thankful for a quick solution

CodeMonkey
Jogger

I'm not a librarian but I'm experiencing similar issues with the Fitbit Pay functionality in my Ionic. Whenever I'm close to a door keypad or the coffee machine at work my watch wakes up and asks me for a PIN to complete the payment. It's very annoying and something that started after the upgrade to OS version 2.1, before that you had to press and hold the back button to activate it. 

Please enable the possibility to turn it off or at least bring back the previous manual activation. 

Colvin47
First Steps

Another librarian hoping for an option so Fitbit Pay can be turned off!  

JaydenB
First Steps

This is a massive issue for me as well. I don't work near machines, but I do have chronic anxiety and every time it goes off it sets off a panic response that I've just paid for something even though it's not even linked to a card.

Until this is fixed I can't even consider linking a card and using it. It should not take this long to create something.

CrysFit
Recovery Runner

@SantiR It’s been 8 months since the original suggestion was submitted here.  Since you were the moderator who responded, I thought I’d ask you if you knew whether Fitbit is even considering this suggestion?

The way our workstations are set up at work, I have to reach across an RFID pad every time I need to use the computer. This means my Fitbit goes of multiple times per hour (not just per day).  It’s getting to the point where I may miss an important notification, assuming it’s just Fitbit pay again.  It also goes off whenever I walk through the RFID gates at the door. 

I could stop wearing the watch at work, but I feel that defeats the purpose.

It now also goes off in shops too when I use eftpos devices.  If you have to press the button on the watch for it to work, why not make it so it doesn’t activate until you press the button over an eftpos device? Similarly to the way ApplePay works.  ApplePay doesn’t activate unless I have my finger on the home button of the phone (reading the fingerprint- an extra layer of security Fitbit pay doesn’t have. If I link my card, anyone could use my watch to pay for things).

This is the single most annoying feature on an otherwise pretty good product. Would I recommend it to other people? Not until this issue is fixed.  

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @CrysFit

Thanks for asking! I don't currently have any updates regarding whether this feature will get released anytime soon. Rest assured that if this gets considered; I will update accordingly to let you know. Please check our FAQs for more details as to how Fitbit decide which ideas get considered.

In the meantime, we need more votes and more support for this idea. Thanks for sharing your input about it.

All the best! 

CrysFit
Recovery Runner

Since I updated to OS3 my versa no longer goes off every single time I put my arm in the vicinity of an RFID reader.  It does still randomly double buzz when over an RFID pad, but not nearly as often as before,  and no message about Fitbit pay appears on the screen.

Has anyone else noticed a difference?

Note: I do not have the Wallet app on my watch, I took it off ages ago hoping that would make a difference.

KaitlinLake
First Steps

Please fix this! I work in retail and as a student spend a lot of time at the library! My Versa buzzes constantly all day and it's so annoying! I just want to track steps and sleep I really don't care for paying with my Versa so I just want a way to turn it off!!!!! 

Sidwench
First Steps

Turn off fitbit pay!!!

AdrianQ9
First Steps

This is really dumb. The fitbit needs to stop harassing me to set up my wallet if something gets too close to the fitbit! With kids it happens all the time. 

And from a UX perspective its annoying to force your users to use your digital wallet all the time. Stop doing that, just ticks us off. 

JaydenB
First Steps
I've actually moved to a Samsung Watch because of this issue. My Fitbit has
been sitting around in my garage and before that in a storage unit for
years.

If my friends were to discuss buying a Fitbit with me, I would caution them
against it. I'd also let them have mine instead of buying a new one.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.