Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
Jpduckwo
First Steps
I suggest a copy of the iPhone schedule DND feature for disabling the quick view for the hours you sleep. Then I would leave quick view enabled all the time!
tomu702
First Steps

The motion activated clock display is really cool but as you move around at night the display can be triggered and bright light fills the room.  While this does not bother me, it annoys my wife.  Did I mention it annoys my wife?

It would be great to have a configurable time window when the motion activated display would be active and when it would not.  I would see this as a device specific setting.

My wife's idea is just to shutoff the motion activated display feature, but I want the best of both worlds.

Tom

ridesabike2
First Steps

Same as above; disabling QV for sleep would be a tremendous help. The display is so bright, it wakes me up! 

Winterlag
Jogger
Would like to see if an additional option could be implemented So that a time can be set when you don't want the quick view to turn on with the wrist flick or arm raise. Like 10pm - 7am the quick view will not function. Similar to the Do not disturb on iOS. The brightness can wake me or wife up and changing his manually is kind of tedious daily
PJRoussy
First Steps

I agree, being able to turn the screen off during sleep or other times would be a great improvement.

FatBoyii
Jogger
Agree that a sleep mode is needed, I find the light annoying at night, that said would still want the double tap feature enabled
hollyblairh
Jogger

I've had to start wearing a sweatband on my wrist to prevent quickview from waking us both up. This seems so easy to implement! I'm in the beta group and will happily give it a whirl. 

Jenmount
Stepping Up
One vote for automatic disabling of quick view during sleep or for scheduled hours! Thanks!
Jenmount
Stepping Up
One vote for quick view disabling during sleep or during set hours. Love my charge, but it interrupts my sleep!
fourg
First Steps

My wife and I have stopped wearing our HR Charge to bed (and often forget to wear it at all) because of the Quick View not having a sleep detection or sleep schedule option.

IReisner
Jogger

Agreed.  I'd like a quick access button to turn it off, so that it doesn't do the "flash of bright light" trick in situations (plays, movies, etc) where that would be inappropriate.  Changing the settings in the app seems to take too long to propegate, even after manually synching.

Sharlz
First Steps
I agree the quick view function should be automatically disabled when the Fitbit detects you're asleep. It wakes me up several times a night and I always forget to turn it off at night and back on in the morning.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Agree with this one.  The Mrs is often complaining that there was a bright light in the night!  I suggest that the option should be configurable with an on time and an off time.

Justin_K
First Steps

I'd like to add another vote for this. The charge would be a lot less disfunctional with a schedule for turning off quickview, and auto-off during sleep.

Scratz77
Jogger
Have you thought about making the quick view option a night time mode?I lovethe idea but the bright light wakes me up when I am tossing and turning in my sleep. They talk about having technology lights off/hidden in drawers as it can affect your sleep. I think you can choose hours in which it turns quick view off (light apples night time mode for calls/texts/etc)
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Great idea! It would be really nice if once the tracker is in sleep mode; the QuickView option will be automatically off. That way we will sleep better without that glance. It is possible but you have to deactivate QuickView every night and then activate it back on every morning. So, if this would be automatic, it would be great. Hopefully this will be implemented in the nearest future!

LunarVixen
First Steps
If I dont tap it. I dont want to see it. Especially at night when I'm trying to fall asleep for crying out loud
Toast-
First Steps

Came here with the same thought and found this thread. I 100% agree, this is a huge oversight in the gesture feature. Either automatically disable it while sleeping, or let us choose times and days to disable the feature (or both). 

The current implementation is sloppy and negates the entire benefit.

djekov
Jogger
+1 Touching the screen should not turn on the backlight. That's the most annoying feature I've seen. There should be a dedicated backlight button which turns the backlight on whenever there is no specific action assigned to that button.
tMC1000
Jogger

I agree that being able to turn off quick view using a predetermined user defined schedule would be great.

Garyswann
First Steps
I'm a really light sleeper, for tye last few night I keep catching the screen on my blaze which is waking me and my wife up, even on dim and gesture control off, it still lights up the room....

Really need an option kinda like a do not disturb, only brings the screen on via the buttons and not touching the screen, saves battery life, saves ear ache off the wife and I get a full night sleep...

Really need something like this in place else ill have to stop wearing it at night 😢
Status changed to: New
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Very interesting idea. I can see what you mean and it can be a good thing to take into consideration. Thank you for sharing! I hope other users support it.

JoeyBamboots
Jogger

This would be especially useful on the new Blaze!   The screen is really bright and I almost blinded my girlfriend last night when it came on and my watch was near her face!

Vanb88
Jogger
I am finding the screen light goes on a few times every night when I am sleeping and no doubt flipping to the other side. The light comes on as I must be pressing the side button without realizing it is being pressed - perhaps on the pillow or mattress. (I have the screen on dim and the quick view is turned off)

There should be an option for the screen to be "sleeping" as well and not be able to be turned on accidentally. The bright light (even on dim) is like a screaming child in the middle of the night - and mama needs her beauty sleep!
DJBabin
First Steps

Am I the only one who tosses and turns when trying to fall asleep, with my hands under my pillow, that accidently 'touches' my Surge with my face, only to have the backlight suddenly shining in my eyes in the dark of the night?

I have my backlight set to 'Auto', so it only comes on when you touch the screen or tap a button.  

I'd love it if I could set it to only come on when tapping a button!  This would eliminate the light coming on accidentally at night just because I touched the screen!

Thoughts?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.