Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
Cebee
Recovery Runner

This request has been "under consideration" since 2015. Any update? I mean, it seems pretty basic.  I ended up turning off the quick view entirely because it was waking me up but I would really like to use it during the day. Can't we get this option soon!?

Fitbit is horrible when it comes to feature requests. All we need is an option to set  screen auto wake feature to 'manual' during sleep, which my ionic recognizes perfectly, and yet we are still waiting since 2015, waking our loved ones at nigh day after day year after year. What a shame. 

EMPreston
Jogger

Absolutely right they don't care anymore. As small and insignificant of an issue as this is, there are several cases of this type of thing that makes me not want to continue to purchase products from this company. Barring some major change within the company culture this will be my last Fitbit.

gyetton
Stepping Up

You should re-label the display as a torch, ideal for those night time trips to the loo!
Really it wouldn't be hard to have the display turned off when the hourly movement feature is turned off.
But, hey, just because you are still selling the device, that's no reason to keep updating the software.
Even MS support old software with updates longer than this!

spelbound
Jogger
I tweeted them today. Said it was under consideration still. FFS it's not some huge trade secret; if they are going to implement it why not just say so?

My last fitbit too. In fact my Ionic is still only 3 weeks old so I may send it back. Really quite annoyed by their attitude.
PureEvil
10K Racer

@spelbound,

I could maybe understand being upset if you had one of the other models (which require a sync to change the settings), but if you have the Ionic why not just turn 'Screen Wake' setting from auto to manual right on the device when you get in bed?  It takes about 3 seconds.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I really need the feature to turn off screen at night.

Even I've set the 'Screen Wake' to manual, and the brightness to dim , versa still light up at night many times.

I have to take care of my baby at night  and the screen light is really annoying.

Jemmae
First Steps

I would like to use the current quick view feature of flick my wrist to show clock face BUT it is a terrible thing that goes off at night and blares bright light in your face.

The tap is unreliable so for me if I could use flick during the day only that would be great.

Summary: the feature I’m asking for is to have that show clock feature to sleep during evening hours (essentially just an automatic toggle between the current Quick View options).

sclev86
First Steps

After two great years of the using a Fitbit, and thinking of upgrading to a Versa, I think a night setting on the app should be added.  The night setting would be set for a certain range of time, to remove usage of the touch screen, so it won't turn on every time I move in my sleep (which can be rather annoying to me and my husband!).  To access the watch features during the night, one of the side buttons would have to be pressed.  This could be a universal watch setting, for all fitbit trackers as wel

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to see a scheduling option added to the mobile app to automatically enable and disable Quick View automatically at the scheduled times. I see that there have been several threads on this forum with this same basic suggestion (sometimes asking for a "Sleep mode" or "Do not disturb" option instead), but you guys keep saying it is not a planned feature for the Charge 2. If that is still the case, can you explain why exactly that is? The Fitbit mobile app has an "All-day sync" option that automatically syncs various information between the app and the device throughout the day, without requiring the user to interact with the app, so why couldn't the app use a schedule it has to push out a change the Quick View setting during one of these automatic sync periods?

capri2570
First Steps

I have a fitbit Versa and it lights up while i am sleeping. It is so bad that my husband has requested me to take it off at night. This function doesn't allow ne to track my sleep since i have to take it hope so the light doesn't wake me and my husband up.

Please add a function where i can turn off the light at will, specially at night. The dim light function is not enough. It is stull to bright when lights up while we are sleeping.

Hopefully this function will be added soon.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This feature is definitely needed in some form.

I have the issue myself with moving my arm and waking myself or my partner up. If it was linked to the DND mode on the phone, that would be great as not only would it assist at bed time but also say when at the cinema. I moved my arm at the cinema recently and quickly had to cover my wrist due to the blinding light that was emitted. As bad as someone using a mobile phone in the cinema.

Jennifer42xyz
First Steps

Yes please! I've had mine for four sleeps and have blinded myself once at night for all four nights. I have a hard enough time staying asleep as it is, which is why I bought this... to start learning more about when/how I'm sleeping, so it'd be nice if it didn't feel like a strobe light in a dark bedroom 🙂

You could do like my phone does for notifications -- set a bedtime, and the screen would only light up for a double tap during those hours, ignoring the wrist flip.

Freeco
Base Runner

For this reason I turned off the back-light on my Surge.

I now have an Ionic, and now I'm looking forward to a night-mode. I don't want the display to illuminate my bedroom when I turn/move my arms while I'm in bed. The wrist gesture can be perfectly replaced by a push on a button...

Mike.2633
Stepping Up

I would like to see Fitbit allow users to program their device to start and end their day at noon (or whatever time) instead of midnight. 

Mad a night shift worker my stats/step goals/ food and water intake etc. all reset at midnight (halfway through “my day”) making it a pain in the rear end to keep track of everything because I have to monitor two days instead of one. 

Please and and thank you!

Mike.2633
Stepping Up

As a night shift worker** 

(I’m really not mad)

Ade1892
Jogger

If it’s not already been said being able to stop the screen coming on without pressing a button would also be handy at events. So for example dancing at a gig, clapping at the theatre or cinema doesn’t trigger the screen. 

Ade1892
Jogger

If it’s not already been said being able to stop the screen coming on without pressing a button would also be handy at events. So for example dancing at a gig, clapping at the theatre or cinema doesn’t trigger the screen. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would love this feature, too. Given that the purpose of the sleep tracking feature is to help us improve our sleep, to not have a light flashing in our faces whenever we move would definitely be a plus!

sportsphotog
Jogger

I have an Alta HR and while I love the quick view feature, I agree with others that we need a way to disable it when we are sleeping or in environments where having it light up would disturb others around you, such as in a theater. 

Rumpfuttock
Recovery Runner

I agree with finding a way to turn off quickview when you are obviously asleep or when you say your own bedtime is. I use it during the day if I don't have two hands free but it wakes me at night whenever I move and wastes battery.

I cannot see why this has been on here since 2014 and nothing has been done. Is no one listening to us? I almost want to look at other devices as this is a real problem for me.

HampusN
First Steps

This was suggested 2015 and have over 6000 likes and more then 1000 comments, why isn’t it implemented already? 

Just start easy by doing a timer specific night mode that turns off Quick View between certain times!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm a software developer, so I can understand why they would decide not to update older devices to handle this "night mode" thing directly, as implied by OP. Something like that would almost certainly required an update to the firmware of the device or even a change to the hardware itself. A hardware change is all but impossible as that would require them to replace everyone's devices with a new model. Likewise, a firmware update may not be an option either, if they are no longer supporting the device with new features.

However, it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't simply update the app itself to have a scheduling option for the already existing Quick View setting. The app already runs in the background, depending on your individual settings, so they could set up a scheduled trigger that flips the Quick View setting at the user-specified time. All handled through the app, which is being updated regularly anyway. Adding any new feature to a piece of software certainly comes with its own troubles, but I would think the issues negligible for this sort of setting, especially in light of how many people want this feature.

HampusN
First Steps

Since you can’t have apps in the background on IOS I guess it would require a firmware update like you say so the device knows when not to lighten up. But it feels kinda strange if that would be a stopper of any kind for a simple function like adding a night mode schedule. Maybe if we post another thousands comments they might care enough? 🙂 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's true that iOS doesn't provide real background execution for third parties. Unfortunately, they only use this function themselves.

But an iOS app runs in the background when the location services are set to "always".

So if you allow the Fitbit application to use location services, which you have to do anyway if you want to use GPS, it will run "somehow" in the background. This should be enough to send a command to the clock to start or stop sleep mode / night mode.

Thomas

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.