Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
cdpage
Base Runner

My Charge2 band is starting to wear out at the edges... I could replace it, but I just buy a new watch at this point. I'd like to upgrade to something nicer than the Charge 2. I have my sights elsewhere than FitBit now. 

What watches is everyone else here looking at?

I Like the Garmin models. Vivoctive HR GPS looks like a nice unit.  $150

Android users might like the Samsung Gear Fit 2 - $200

Apple users are stuck with e premium only option - $340 

As an apple user, this thought has crossed my mind a few times.

Vivace2018
Jogger

Lights Off - Time to start trying to sleep (Fitbit start tracking sleep with time awake later than lights off)

For instance by tapping/holding the fitbit, after which the fitbit can verify by vibrating twice and saying “goodnight”.

Perhaps the period between this and auto-detecting of fitbit sleep time can be named differently? (restlessness?)

Reason 1: I have noticed the fitbit is missing about 5 minutes of me trying to go to sleep (Lights Off) and it recording that I'm awake trying to sleep.

Reason 2: After Lights Off has been activated give the option to only turn on the fitbit lights when double tapping it. 

(Sometimes the fitbit automatically turns on during the night, which is quite bright and not nice)

JTK1938
First Steps

I have a Fitbit 2 HR and it is impossible for me to read it outside.  

I hope that this Lighting can be adjusted brighter or possible a audio of how many steps are shown.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I raised this issue with regard to my brand new Ionic and was told to manually turn the wrist activation on and off and night. (Which others say doesn't necessarily work).

We are talking premium products here, some programmable control isn't too much to ask.

The cheeky devil at Fitbit also had a look at my device details (battery and sync info at least),  without my permission, as part of their reply. That certainly wasn't called for, it was almost a "look what I can do" thing.  This sort of thing really makes me livid.

Sarah

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Update to my post, this suggestion has most votes of any on the Fitbit suggestions list, that are "under consideration", by quite a large margin.

DirkWidmore
Jogger
They just released the charge 3.
I bet they have build in a night mode 😉
moosecat
Base Runner

@DirkWidmore I somehow doubt it Smiley Indifferent 

They also CLOSED the suggestion of being able to turn off "tap to wake" (which turns on the device by bumping it with movement), which is probably an issue many are experiencing without realizing it (because they think it's quick view). If your quick view is turned off but your watch is still lighting up when getting bumped, it's probably this bad "feature": https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Disable-Tap-to-Wake-at-Night/idi-p/1723065

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Good point, @moosecat. I've been so frustrated with the response to adding sleep settings that I haven't even thought about how often the screen activates on its own even with Quick View disabled.

After my first night or two of being woken up by Quick View, I've left Quick View off permanently. Even so, I've been woken up numerous times since then by false taps activating the screen in the middle of the night. Adding a setting to disable tap to wake would be a much bigger win, in my opinion, even if we don't ever get sleep settings.

Acap82
Recovery Runner

Always on feature for Versa is extremely sensitive, causing the watch to come on when not needed, reducing battery life. Watch will turn on when driving and turning steering wheel, at night when rolling over in bed, walking normally. My old Charge 2 used similar feature but sensitivity was much reduced, causing it to only turn on when really needed. Turning the feature off is an option, however, not as user friendly as just being able to turn wrist to see time/messages.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

cbrack90
Stepping Up

I can't count the number of times that I have woken either myself or my boyfriend up with an accidental flash directly to the eye with my watch. I love being able to track my sleep, but I end up taking it off more often than not because the screen is just too bright. What would be great is if you could set times within the app for night mode, like you can do with your phone. Then, during those hours, the screen wouldn't be as harsh, and you can still groggily look at the time in the middle of the night and not be blinded.

kam79
Recovery Runner

Specifically on the screen wake setting i would prefer to have a do not disturb that i can customize to days of week and start and stop times. You already sort of have a DND feature under notification settings, perhaps you could tweak it to where you can set the days and times parameters and it is a blanket setting for watch features including screen wake

mwade71
Recovery Runner

Love this idea!  It has woken me up and my husband on occasion.   Great suggestion that just makes sense.   Maybe even make it an option to set times for do not disturb or quick view to keep this available for people who enjoy having the light of their watch wake them up in the middle of the night. 

Turna23
First Steps

Signed up just to add my plus 1 vote on this feature request.

Hoping Fitbit set the parameter. Night schedule turn quick view off.

Not that complex of a feature as the programming is already done to toggle on and off just needs a sleep time parameter.

GusDorf
Recovery Runner

Not only that - 
I will have mine set to off as I NEVER need the quick view on.
After a few days it will turn on while I am sleeping and I will have to reboot my watch

cbrack90
Stepping Up

I never realized that so many people were also having the same issue as I am with being disrupted by the light at night, and I check this board all the time to see if they've updated it to anything beyond "under consideration" and they haven't. It was first suggested three years ago!

katam
Base Runner

@GusDorf   It's not just Quick View that causes the issue.  It's the Tap To Wake, which is way too sensitive and cannot be turned off.

To the new people: No, they will not fix this issue on any existing product.  They told us as much. You should know this before your return period expires.

Some have used this forum to talk about non-Fitbit replacements.  I'd still like to know about ones people liked.  Eventually I'll be replacing this with something NOT Fitbit

moosecat
Base Runner

I don't know if it will amount to any good fitness watches, but Google is currently in the process of updating their smartwatch OS and Google Fit, so there will be a bunch of new Android wear watches later this year/next year, too, if that's your thing. I'll probably wait to see what comes of it, myself. The Garmin is tempting, but if Google were to make their own watch I'd probably be interested since I have a Pixel and am on the Google ecosystem.

katam
Base Runner

@cdpage  Nice, thanks!

@moosecat  I just switched to a Pixel 2, so I'm also watching to see what they come up with.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

For the Ionic or Versa (or really any of the trackers).  Fitbit already allows for Quiet Hours for notifications and you configure your normal sleep hours.  I would suggest that based on one or both of these time (or its own time block) that the device be switched from Automatic Screen Wake where it wakes / lights up when you move your wrist in a certain way to Manual Screen Wake where you are required to press the button to wake it up.  This could likely even be done automatically when the watch detects you are asleep.

The reasons for this are many.  A couple examples would be:

• Preventing the device from lighting up the room while you are trying to sleep (happens all the time to me and it is annoying). 
  • Saving battery life from the screen waking while you are sleeping just because you are tossing or turning. (The Ionic already has lower battery life than many other models in the Fitbit line so why waste it by accident?) 

JeroenV
Jogger

that's a very good idea!

TomNeil
First Steps

Yes!

Very annoying.

It lites up everytime I move, all night long, except when I want to see the time. 

Cebee
Recovery Runner

Guys, scroll because thru this post and find the one about the cover you can have 3d printed. I did it and it has solved all problems. It's fantastic. 

Bradley76
Keeping Pace
I second CeBee's suggestion of the cover. Use a 100% fill and .1mm or
smaller resolution. I took the defaults on the first run, and they were
too fragile. (I used an online 3D print service.)

-- Brad Whitlock
moosecat
Base Runner

@Cebee unfortunately the cover is only for one device, while the issue spans almost all devices, including the newest ones. I have a Blaze so there's no cover option for me. My only choice is to cover it with an uncomfortable wristband or cloth, or just not wear it. I've gone with option 2.

oshev
First Steps

So, the suggestion was posted on 2015. Almost 6500 people have voted for it. (Not to count those who suffer from this problem but didn't bother to find it on the forum and vote.) And yet, Fitbit does nothing about the issue of the bright screen. Not cool. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.