Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
Yakko
Jogger

As a previous poster noted this has been requested a lot. The ask was placed over three years and there are over a thousand comments. How hard would it be to change the quick view options from "off and on" to "off, on, or daytime only"? Bonus points for "off, on, follow a schedule". Another great option would be to be able to turn on and off quick view from the watch itself (without having to use the phone app, similar to how you can turn on and off the silent alarm).

The issue (with my charge 2 and I assume other models) is that at night when I roll over in bed the quick view comes on and lights up the whole room.

ColombeDor
First Steps

During my sleep my Alta HR lights up, which is a real nuisance. Every time I move during the night

it lights up. It even bothers my husband. Anyway you could have an option for it not to turn itself on

while you sleep? 

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @ColombeDor ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

JCDunn
Jogger

I have the 'quick view' turned off but my Alta HR still wakes up and flashes BRIGHTLY during the night as I move around.  PLEASE an option to schedule a time frame that the watch does NOT come of unless it is double tapped.   I see by the posts here that I am NOT the only person with this issue and it is very annoying to say the least as it is really bright in a dark room when it comes on for no apparent reason....   The community will look forward to the simple upgrade very soon please !!!

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @JCDunn ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

wiseman13
Base Runner

I always wear my Versa at night for sleep tracking, but if I roll over or a kid comes in and I move my write the Screen Wake feature makes my wrist a burning torch. I try to remember to set it to manual from auto before bed, but it would be better for me if I could just schedule a time for that to happen. This would make it like the scheduled do not disturb mode on my Pebble that prevented this annoyance to my family. Thank you for reading and be sure to vote up if this is an issue for you too!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @wiseman13, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Oh come on, this idea has had more votes over the years than anything else on here and still it isn't implemented. There appears no desire to sort this issue. I think you are being disingenuous to people implying they can get momentum around an issue that has been highlighted for years and had in excess of 6,500 votes in favour of resolution, more than any other on this site.

RoHS4U
Stepping Up

Don't worry .... This is going to be escalated to their engineering team..... right.

Rebeca (9/4/2018, 4:20:53 PM): I'd like to know if there is anything else that I could help you with?
Me (9/4/2018, 4:20:56 PM): sounds good.
Rebeca (9/4/2018, 4:21:25 PM): Great. Thank you so much XXXX, I really appreciate your time. You can click “End Chat” for you to get the survey in the same box, take care.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:21:43 PM): you can have the fitbit engineering team seriously consider this:
Me (9/4/2018, 4:21:44 PM): https://www.google.com/url?q=https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Turn-off-quick-view...
Me (9/4/2018, 4:21:58 PM): as it has > 6k votes and has been open for years.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:22:21 PM): and would be incredibly helpful since it's supposed to help with sleep as opposed to disturb sleep.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:23:25 PM): also note that there is no way to disable the screen entirely (eg, the double tap to turn the screen is ALWAYS enabled ...)
Rebeca (9/4/2018, 4:23:36 PM): Sure no problem.
Rebeca (9/4/2018, 4:23:43 PM): We don't want Fitbit to be the exception to the rule, so rest assured that I'll submit your feedback.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:24:05 PM): well ... it's been almost 3 years ...
Me (9/4/2018, 4:24:12 PM): so forgive me if I don't get my hopes up.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:24:22 PM): excuse me, over 3 years
Rebeca (9/4/2018, 4:24:35 PM): I will escalate this situation to our engineers team.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:24:49 PM): I appreciate that.
Rebeca (9/4/2018, 4:25:12 PM): You are more than welcome. Hearing customers' feedback and implementing it, is what keeps us improving, so thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
Me (9/4/2018, 4:25:20 PM): sure thing
Me (9/4/2018, 4:25:28 PM): I hope you have a nice day - thanks for taking the time to help.

Dear Fitbit - if you're not going to implement this, just say so. Stop holding the carrot out in front of us like maybe it will someday be done if it's not. Just close this thread and be done with it.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@YojanaFitbit  If that is the case, why do the majority of suggestions on this site get locked from further comments when Fitbit isn't planning to implement at the current time.  They prevent their users from properly expressing how important the feature is to them or providing additional evidence about why it should be implemented?  And those which do still allow comments, if those comments include any form of news article pointing out how painful the lack of the feature is or how it is a major feature or selling point of another competing device is deleted.  

I honestly wonder how many votes or comments it takes for Fitbit to pay attention. This one feature has over six thousand votes and over a thousand comments.  I have honestly never regretted a purchase more than coming back to Fitbit after moving away, even though I really didn't have any other option.  My ionic gets just about 48 hours of batter life and turns on constantly while i toss and turn at nights (while this wont likely resolve all of my battery issues it should improve them).  This wouldn't even honestly be that difficult to implement from a software perspective.  Then again there is no profit in adding it in a current device so maybe it will be limited to the next generation of devices.  Perhaps like some of the new app specific features that for unexplained reasons are only enabled when you own specific devices even though doesn't affect the device at all.  

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for your comment @SunsetRunner: 

Our development cycle for new products varies based on a number of factors and usually includes an internal planning period, which is why sometimes new features may not appear as quickly as you would like.The volume of suggestions can make it challenging to respond to every Feature Suggestion as quickly as we’d like. Additionally, some of the reasoning behind our decision-making may be proprietary which means we can’t always share the full picture with you, but we aim to share what we can.We hope you understand that we take community opinions incredibly seriously, and that your ideas truly are a source of abundant and fruitful internal discussions around how we advance our product and service offerings.

When a Feature Suggestion status is changed to ‘Not currently planned’, that doesn’t mean the votes and discussions aren’t important, especially when those few hundred users are very passionate about a feature and propose a compelling argument that would benefit our global community. The cost of developing that suggestion may not be impactful enough to justify investment, especially weighing that against all the other thousands of Feature Suggestions. Thanks for your understanding. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hmmm, this isn't a new feature over 6,500 customers have asked for, but, I would suggest a flaw in the design. It's not aq new thing, but something many users would have expected to be built in.

Cebee
Recovery Runner

Thanks to the Moderator for a more specific response but the problem is that this "suggestion" is actually an alert that your product has a problem. Your product is designed to monitor our sleep but it actually disrupts it. When we ask for a new feature, we are asking to correct a problem, not to get a more advanced feature.  I wish you guys would treat this suggestion like it's a functionality problem rather than just a casual suggestion for improvement. I think that's what y'all are missing and what is getting a lot of us angry. I'm given a choice with your product: wear it to bed and wake up from the glare as I move or take it off and don't use a feature that is important to me. Is that acceptable to you? Is it good PR for your company? It's been disappointing to me that you guys haven't made any effort to fix it. It makes it hard to recommend Fitbit to friends. Is that what y'all want? If not, address this, fix it, and show your customers that you really do care. 

oshev
First Steps

It's actually getting fun. The flaw in the tracker firmware and the app disrupts sleep of thousands people (not only those who use it but their partners and potentially babies) instead of helping them. The issue, which seems to be relatively easy to fix, collected 6406 votes and 1127 comments over three years, and yet Fitbit product team comes to us with a story that they have more important things to do. You know what? All of this smells of a potentially quite a curious blog post or even a small article in a newspaper. Fitbit is popular enough to make this post attract attention of even more people. What are actually the issues Fitbit have been solving all these years? How many of them attracted so many votes? Do the rival trackers have the same issue? (I know that Garmin does). I'm pretty sure among these thousands people there are some bloggers and journalists who could use the idea.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree. The enabled "Tap To Wake" during pre-set sleep hours is rather a bug than a new feature. So it should not be implemented but be fixed. That would be very appreciated 🙂

katam
Base Runner

This is absolutely a bug with the sleep tracking, which was an important feature for me.  Tap to Wake can't be turned off at all.

People have been reporting the issue for over 3 years - since well before I bought my Charge 2. 

There are even more votes & comments than you see on this post.  About a year ago a moderator mistakenly merged a post about this issue with a post about making the screen light up longer.  I alerted them a few times and they ignored me, so all those comments & votes now count for a completely different topic.  Not that it seems to make much difference to them in the long run.

Yakko
Jogger
@ While I do appreciate a response from Fitbit, I don't find your particular response very helpful. Your response doesn't give me any indication that Fitbit is actually listening to or considering requests made in this forum. It appears to be a stock, cut and paste response that can be used as a response to *any* feature request. Your response does not mention or refer to any details of the request that people are asking for - namely the ability either turn off quick view from the watch (without using the application) or to be able to schedule the times the quick view is active, or in general, implement some sort of "night mode" which prevents the watch from lighting up the room at inappropriate times (such as in bed or at a movie theater.) The wording of your response says to me that "Fitbit wants the forum posters to think that Fitbit is paying attention and responding, but isn't really".
A much better response would have been: "Hey guys, I asked around internally about the night mode feature and the legal department reminded me that our policy is not to publicly comment about future functionality. Legal gave me this standard response..." Such wording would at least indicate that *someone* at Fitbit actually cares about well supported requests from the forums.
cdpage
Base Runner

@Yakko, be careful the bots may learn how to automate canned responses with keywords. 

I too would like a human response though. I'm tired the smoke and mirrors. 

They have a page dedicated to explaining how the handle requests and changing the status. But even that page is useless.  

I plan to buy a new watch one day... The way FitBit is handling this issue... Not the issue itself, is enough for me to buy any other brand right now. I'm not even looking at the new FitBit models, I just don't care.

People have asked me many times what they should get for a tracker. For the last 2 years, I've said the same thing. FitBit has an OKish product... it breaks down after 2 years (straps suck) but it's an ok watch for the money. Nothing special. Has a large community, so if you have friends it might be nice to join them. 

BUT, they don't care about your sleep. If you are tracking your sleep. (and some are) I steer them away. 

Which is a shame because FitBit does have a pretty good warranty / replacement team. But I don't get to share that bit of info with their potential buyers. I've scared them off already. 

So yea, this one thread, is a creeping PR mess for FitBit. Their lack of responses, the lack of "usefull" responses. the time it took to move to "under Consideration", the time it's Been under Consideration, the amount of posts that have been removed from this thread...

Yea, this would be a great article for any sport/tech Zine, enthusiast, blogger, reviewer. 

is there any hope?

exacrom
Jogger

+1

I would even suggest having an ONLY BUTTON option that lights the screen with buttons. I have the quickview turned off also the 'Screen Wake' is Manual and screen still suddenly turns on with some movements . Super annoying if you're on a dark room or in the movies.

El_Chazmo
Recovery Runner

@LizFitbit I'm guessing as the Charge 3 is being released... all updates and any "fixes" to the Charge 2 will be forgotten?

I agree with @exacrom ONLY BUTTON post though. QuickView is a pain, at the best of times.

Will there ever be an update with this?

katam
Base Runner

@El_Chazmo  The Charge 2 was forgotten shortly after release.  People have been alerting them to this problem since the Charge 2 was new.

spelbound
Jogger
I've just given up on Fitbit now and will be returning my Ionic. This is a bug NOT a feature request.

Get Outlook for Android
Fit-bit-Man03
Jogger

For the Fitbit Versa you can go into quick settings and turn off screen wake.

@pclement5 wrote:

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

moosecat
Base Runner

@Fit-bit-Man03 not quite the case. That will at least turn off the "quick view" feature, that turns your screen on when you lift your wrist. Though, part of the request here is that people shouldn't have to manually turn if off every night.

However, even using that setting, it will NOT turn off tap to wake, which turns your screen on when you double tap the screen, or side of the device. This "feature" is unable to be turned off in any form on any current device.

I have a feeling this is really what causes a lot of issues as night, as I've had the quick view/screen wake feature turned off since day one, but my device still comes on at night and randomly throughout the day from bumping it against anything (or honestly just shaking my arm...).

I just want to turn my screen on using buttons only, honestly. It's the single thing that will convince me to buy a Fitbit for my next device (though I'm pretty much at the point where I will drop Fitbit all together regardless, because of how customers have been treated here).

wiseman13
Base Runner
True, but the double tap still wakes the screen.

-Scott
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.