Use Fitbit NFC capability for building access

Hi everyone, this feature suggestion specifically focuses on using your Fitbit device to allow building access or as a door reader. This could be for your office, gym, hotel etc. Thanks!

Mod edit: post content

19 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

MarcoSadowski
Jogger

I think that this feature request goes in the same wrong direction as the previous one.

I would be very happy to see a NFC API where we can build our own solutions. 

The comments in the previous feature request tell exactly why such a feature would be cool and helpful!

What did we get: Call it "released", but limit it to companies. Please let this feature request don't end the same way. The survey already hint that 'building access company' should only get access for it. Why? Safety concerns?  

James12345678
First Steps

Is there any news on this? I was planning on buying a ionic and developing something simple to read from my continuous glucose monitor, but I guess if the feature is locked for developers i'll go another route.

PaulPski
Jogger

I absolutely love this idea!  Please make this happen.  The less things I need to carry into work the better.  The thought of just using my Ionic as to gain entry is just fantastic!

@LizFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone, we're recreating this feature suggestion to specifically focus on using your Fitbit device to allow building access or as a door reader. This could be for your office, gym, hotel etc. Please fill in this survey to specifically tell us which building access you want as this is regularly reviewed by our team.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree with @MarcoSadowski the API should be opened up to developers rather than just certain entities who manage door access.

lesterbangs
Recovery Runner

I would love to be able to use mine to log into technogym machines.

johnrgz
First Steps

Any update on this? 

I badly need to use my ionic to alternatively use it as building access id alternative.

SyapitWahab
First Steps

Fitbit should have or allow NFC apps to duplicate door access cards by copying the RFID data and paste to our Fitbit devices. By doing so, we can use our devices for the purpose. 

fowlk1kd
First Steps

I agree with @MarcoSadowski the API should be opened up to developers rather than just certain entities who manage door access.

HansKl
Recovery Runner

Can we please have a single function to start with (read NFC tag):

As a developer I like to have a NFC api interface to receive information of a NFC tag, which is read by the versa watch, in the companion, so that I can develop functionality for the companion to act upon the received data.

This can also be done using a mobile phone, however reading a NFC tag with the smart watch, instead of grabbing my mobile phone is much more convenient for the user (example: event registration. Number of disturbances while working: put the NFC tag on you desk, have it read by your watch every time you are disturbed. Collect the events using the companion application. See also already available Android NFC app's for inspiration.

planetWayne
Jogger

I build custom hardware for door access and would like the ability to be able to present a 'static' UID to a reader. This UID could either be a static one time 'random' ID generated by the device or ideally be able to set a custom ID. I would also like to be able to have multiple ID's that can be selected via a swipe on the watch. At this point I don't need to store any extra info into the ID as such but wouldn't want to rule that out for a further update.

burdacz
First Steps

Any updates? I would like to at least see a response in a form of "working on it", "maybe posssible" or "not happening". So people know what to expect from this.

HansKl
Recovery Runner

It seems that nfc is for exclusive use for wallets/payments. Maybe security is a concern, when access is made public. It would be helpful if fitbit gives a clear statement, why nfc access is not made public.

burdacz
First Steps

I dont get how security would be a problem. If they provide NFC API in fitbit studio they would be in control. I mean if you really wanted you would be able to get it "open" anyway I just don't want to destroy my 2 days old versa 2. I would probably be even okay with them saying they won't do it, it's just the not knowing that drives me crazy 😄

flylikedan
Recovery Runner

Is there any solution copying cards to get access to the gym, the locker...?

PaulPski
Jogger
Unfortunately not.

Sent from my iPhone
FanTV
Jogger

I would like to use my Versa 3 to get access to Technogym. THANKS.

lkraav
Jogger

Mid-2022: definitely disappointing to see zero progress with this.

Whichever device maker can figure this out first, will be highly motivating me to move my family and influence social circles to move off Fitbit.

Fitbit ecosystem has been pretty cool thus far, but fortunately competition in this market space is healthy, and having these tokens combined into your wrist device is an unbeatable multi-factor solution.

Dovah
First Steps

I just upgraded from a Charge 5 to a Sense smartwatch. One of the reasons for doing this was for the larger screen; I want to develop an app where I can store my business card(s) and distribute it (them) via the NFC chip.
But I'm just discovering NOW that there's no API for it? Even though it's been in demand since 2017??

The community has been asking for this for a while and this ticket has not yet budged and we've not been updated. What gives??

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.