Use HR and HRV to Monitor Stress/Anxiety (and suggest relaxation/guided breathing)

Use HR and HRV to measure stress level. 24 hour HR graph.
How it works: http://emvio.watch/

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

310 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, I would like this feature, too. I came looking for this feature request because the Garmin Vivosmart 3 is shipping with this feature now.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Great idea indeed. Maybe we should send our votes to the other "stress tracking" feature request because it already has more than 80 votes: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Use-HR-and-HRV-to-measure-stress-level/idi-p/186...

Nozzarelli
First Steps

Would be great to have hrv score on the app. As the band is constantly monitoring you could wake up to your hrv score and plan your day around it. What an amazing feature that would be!

Colinm39
Marathon Racer

Now that Fitbit are using HRV for our Sleep monitoring I'm now coming to grips with the concept.  I have been using the Polar H7 chest strap Bluetoothing into Elite HRV on my Android and then exported into Kubios HRV standard (All free).

I'm trying to workout how they are detecting the awake time when there is no movement in my steps and a constant HR but I'm "awake"..according to Fitbit.  Supposed to be HRV and Accelerometer...  See this link

dwent
Base Runner

I'm pretty sure the Charge 2 and other Fitbit trackers already gather the biometric data necessary to do this and it would certainly be an amazing addition to Fitbit's health lineup. Garmin's vivosmart 3 does this already and, if the planned sleep stages update for the Charge 2 ends up being scrapped (as seems possible at the moment, given the delay) I may consider switching to that tracker to get this functionality.

Aeryn333
First Steps

Yes! I came here to suggest this too! For me dealing with anxiety is largely about dealing with anxiety when it is already there. It would be sooo epic for me to be able to set alerts to notify me when my heart rate goes up, without any accompanying physical activity. Even more epic if it would directly suggest the breathing exercise...

CamLaird
First Steps

Would love this feature! I currently use another app to measure my HRV through my phones camera. Would be a lot better to incorporate this feature into the fitness band 🙂

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would also like this feature.  

JUehV
First Steps

We are searching for trackers delivering HR, HRV and Stress measurements for a scientific project at TU Darmstadt (Germany). It looks like the Charge 2 has the hardware to monitor HRV but it's not available over a App, API or data export. This would be crucial for us!

So we would be glad to see an update for the Charge 2 measuring HRV and providing it over the API 🙂

Cheers!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I think it would be great to see an alert for an increased heart rate when not working out.  A way to help stop you from get too stressed or peaked during times of non physical actively.  

I got 110 when sitting in a​ meeting where my resting is 55 times like think might be nice to remind you to breath...

Thanks Fitbit you got a great product and it is! 

Fbitter
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner

But that other suggestion is about stress measuring (and presumably tracking).  This one is about stress notification.

I think that stress tracking without notification/alerts is not so useful.

This one should be broadened though - it is relevant to most fitbit devices, not just the blaze.

Fbitter
Recovery Runner

I think hey would also need to add stress alerts (same as they have for HR etc.) to really make this useful.

Chrian
First Steps

It's been known for some time that HRV is useful for anyone to determine their nervous system's state. This information would be useful who encounter stress anywhere in their lives, and especially to let folks know if they can safely exercise to make health gains.

While I'm very happy to learn that the relax app can replace my other HRV breath exercise equipment and is used in sleep monitoring, I'm very disappointed that I can't use the Charge 2 cannot be used for HRV monitoring.

Therefore, I vote that HRV monitoring be added, as well as provide a suggestion for whether I am ready to physically train.

Nozzarelli
First Steps
Totally agree
GBoomer
Jogger

I have the Charge 2 and like it tons for what it does. However, my next fitness tracker will definitely be one that tracks HRV and helps one measure recovery. (Currently, I strap on a chest strap and open an app on my phone to measure HRV every morning.) I'm already reading reviews about the WHOOP and an upcoming device called Quardio among others. I think fitbit, should they decide to turn their attention and resources to it, could perhaps make a better device that adds HRV tracking to everything else they do so well. In fact, such a decision will be crucial to fitbit staying competitive, in my opinion.

Colinm39
Marathon Racer

Only 12 votes in 6 months so I'm sure many are confused about HRV. 

With the sleep detection I'm happy about Fitbit's accuracy because at my age some nights I have 3 bathroom breaks and that is detected because it is an ensuite, nice and close and included in the total sleep/wake time..

Also when you have those periods of, "I had a bad night's sleep and was awake for at least 2 hours".  you turn the radio on listen to the news and try and go back to sleep.... Fitbit detects my micro sleeps and I really wasn't awake for 2 hours... it shows up even rem sleep when I though I was awake.. That's going by the Clock Radio time.. maybe restless, but I'm averaging 7.5 to 8 hours sleep... Nice to be retired....Smiley Happy

So I'm happy so far.... because my Benchmark over 30 days is well within Fitbit's criteria..

alek_angelov
First Steps

I would like to have that - hopefully now that Whoop have entered the market the other will follow with their versions of HRV tracking functionality. 🙂

CrabbyMcSlacker
Stepping Up

HRV data is also very useful for training guidance, other products have come out now using HRV data to let you know each day if you are ready for a tough workout or should take it easy and recover.  There are so many uses for HRV, and since the device already measures it, it would be great to have the software keep up and let us use that data to measure stress and recovery states.  Thanks!

Crmallon
First Steps

I bought my Charge 2 because I read that it had HRV technology, something I wanted in a fitness band. I'm very disappointed to discover that this data isn't accessible to the user because there are so many applications for tracking this metric. In particular, I'm interested in using it to identify when I'm experiencing psychological distress, so I can know to remove myself from the triggering situation or implement calming techniques (like coherence biofeedback, which is requires HRV data).

I thought the Fitbit would have HRV, allowing me to do that. As a psychiatric nurse, I'd like to see how effective this device could be for patients. I think it could be very valuable. Please develop this tech further!!

As a follow up to this post, I no longer wear my Fitbit. I find it relatively useless without more advanced hrv capabilities, as much of the fitness tracking is irrelevant for functional fitness. 

Jeff1173
First Steps
I agree, it seems like the sensor tech is there, they just need to
develop more on the software side.
Jeff1173
First Steps
I agree, it seems like the sensor tech is there, they just need to
develop more on the software side.
idilham
Recovery Runner

I have Fitbit Charge 2, and I think Fitbit can support Charge 2 to have this feature on board.

GBoomer
Jogger

I have been using an HRV app and a chest strap to measure heart rate variability for more than five months now. Before that I used resting heart rate alone with less success. Daily hrv readings have proven to be a dependable way to know whether to exercise or not and how hard on a given day. Since beginning to measure hrv, I am exercising more frequently and with more intensity because I am able to balance exercise and recovery more effectively than before. It would be so great to have hrv readings from fitbit.

Travist
First Steps

i failed to research this prior to my purchase of the blaze. I learned the hard way that fitbit does not share this information and HRV is essential. Please post update allowing this information to be used with or without chest strap. I am currently looking for other options while I wait.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.