Use HR and HRV to Monitor Stress/Anxiety (and suggest relaxation/guided breathing)

Use HR and HRV to measure stress level. 24 hour HR graph.
How it works: http://emvio.watch/

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

310 Comments
benjorgensen
First Steps

Moderator comment "hope Fitbit will  find a way to have an electrocardiogram for the readings and then implement it in the nearest future."   reply:   electrocardiogram is not necessary at all for hrv.   Just better resolution on the light based pulse reading.   That would be more battery use so it would mean an hrv mode that would take continual high resolution  reading for two minutes.   User must be still.   It has been incorporated into the camera and flash so even if there are technical difficulties with using the existing wrist bands for hrv, the feature could be added into the dashboard app right now easily.   This is an opportunity for fitbit to keep up with the times 🙂   Here is more info on that feature.   https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=ms-android-metropcs-us&q=hrv+app+using+camera&oq=hr...

anishnair
First Steps

I would love to have HRV on charge 2 but happy to upgrade if it comes in a new product as well

anishnair
First Steps

Please extend the app to support this

Sadiebarb011
First Steps

Adding HRV would be a great feature 

Travist
First Steps

Due to this issue I am no longer using Fitbit and have switched to another brand. Would have loved to purchase an additional strap heart rate sensor that would sync to my blaze... Was actually hoping this ability was on the ionic but nope.

codyo
Jogger

I was reading about this in your recent blog post, the article talks about this and how useful it is, but then you tease us with "vote for this feature"? Let's have it!

IHGuy
First Steps

HRV is on the top two things I've wanted to see in my Fitbit from day one. If my Fitbit could determine my HRV, it would set itself above most of the other tracking devices out there.

joriecielo
First Steps

This would be a great added feature, to monitor stress level and show changes overtime, especially when used in conjunction with the Guided Breathing Sessions.

Mooro68
First Steps

Please do add HRV to the dashboard !

poncho58
First Steps

Please add this feature. I just bought a ring which monitor and give us the result on the hrv during all the night. If you already monitor this data, it does not cost anything to you to show the data.

Geoff_S
Jogger

I would also vote for HRV tracking to be added to the app.  I just started using the Charge 2 over the last month and I have also shared with some clients (I'm an Occupational Therapist), adding HRV tracking would be a significant improvement and rival other HRV biofeedback devices like the Emwave2 and Inner Balance devices from HeartMath.  A really cool addition would be to have the data from the app guide a biofeedback session on the phone/tablet through bluetooth.  The current feedback through sparkles is good when you might not be able to use your phone, but an app on the phone (could be separate from the Fitbit app) would give much more interesting, richer feedback.

harmonbj
First Steps

One of the elements that attracted me to the Charge 2 was the guided breathing sessions. I wish that there was a feature where I could set an upper limit for "sedentary" (versus resting and exercising) heart rate so that if I exceeded that heart rate, my Charge 2 would vibrate and prompt me to do a guided breathing session.

I'd love to see this feature added!

Trinifires
Jogger

Could also give a general or daily  stress score which can be used to indicate things like overtraining, not enough or poor sleeping habits. Too low stress can suggest longer or more intense workouts.

Denodan
Tempo Runner

why have yoy guys never included a stress monitor in your fitbit devices?

Now that the ionic is out, it could easily come as an app.

Garmin have had this feature in their fitness watches for ages and i beleive its an important feature that fitbit should have included.

Stress levels are part of your health as much as sleep, steps and fitness levels which are included, so why no stress monitor?

This could be displayed as part of heart rate monitor.

This is really important as stress plays a big part on your health and being able to keep an eye on your stress levels and in tandom with your relax app  is a very big aid to being more healthy and learn to control and view stress levels.

Stress could also be graphed like your heartrate and give you an idea what time of the day your most stressed so learning to relax more in your more stressed moment

Garmin have included stress monitoring so why not you guys.

Monitoring stress is really needed here.

You track sleep, why not stress? If Garmin can do it, i am sure you could also and for some people the stress monitoring means they would chose the Garmin over fitbit.

You want fitbit to sell even then include stress monitoring.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please Heart

MarchandMamma
First Steps

Including a feature that takes the heart rate already being monitored and providing information on personal heart rate variability and the impact on health.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Can't see the use case myself.

Denodan
Tempo Runner

Well for a start to see your not over stressing during excise, and to recognise if your getting to stressed during the day and recognising the start of stress can learn to control it.

Also the times during the day you get stressed the most so can be aware of it.

Knowing when your getting stressed is very helpful and may go some way to help manage it in conjuction with the relax app on your phone.

The people who own a garmin fitness watch say its useful and as its health related should be included?

We have an app to help relax, so makes sense to monitor your stress levels, abd if you cannot see this as useful, or a needed feature then take your blinkers off. We all get stressed at some point and many dont know they are. Stress leads to all kind of health issues, so stress monitoring  needs to be a feature  Garmin thinks so, so why not fitbit?

Dfwhodat
Jogger

Please add this to the app and dashboard, HRV score in the morning would be amazing especially if you didn’t have to do anything, it could be measured while sleeping based on my understanding. 

Anniebme
First Steps

There is already an app for breathing. It's great for anxiety but only if you remember to use it. Please extend it to monitor for elevated stress and then buzz and suggest a 2 minute breathing session. 

Jorix
Runner

Garmin uses the Firstbeat Stress feature (https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/all-day-stress-recovery/). Would be great if we could have something like this from the Fitbit Purepulse readings as well. Not sure if Fitbit would run into legal battles over IP though.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend
Maximus112233
Jogger

Also for charge 2

Njy
First Steps

Add my voice to getting hrv measurements with charge 2 and newer devices.

Would like to see popular android apps supporting this.

I was talking to a third party app vendor and they think hrv is done with breathing measurements only.

I was under the impression that the sleep info was done with hrv measurements, per the fitbit web site and ppg measurements.  The links are:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2163#AutomaticDetection

https://blog.fitbit.com/heart-rate-during-sleep-stages/

fotomaf
Keeping Pace

I was an owner of other brand smartwatch, already sold, and I really  miss a couple of features and one was to have all the information about the stress level trought the day.

The sleep and HR tracking it's by far the best of the category so inplement this feature maybe it's "easy"

We haver already the deep breath exercises to get low the stress. Seems logic, no? 😉

And maybe have competition about slow life? a ranking of your friends about mange the stress?

Kinds Regards from Spain

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.