Use HR and HRV to Monitor Stress/Anxiety (and suggest relaxation/guided breathing)

Use HR and HRV to measure stress level. 24 hour HR graph.
How it works: http://emvio.watch/

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

310 Comments
Gam69
First Steps

Please consider adding software allowing the onboard HRV measurement in the charge 2 to predict recovery from a workout or readiness for a rest day vs an intense workout day (as many of the other competing products do)

Jaskap
First Steps

Please add stressmonitoring to ionic. I was about to suggest this as this is an essential functuonality. Did not know this was not included. I should of have researched better...

Cindy1029
Jogger

Please add this feature!!

jwasdfgh77
Jogger

I'm a developer at a software company, we've been wiring up to a competitors device and analyzing the data for health metrics and I can tell you first hand the stress rating system that other competitors have is wildly all over the place and not even close to useful data for us. So while I'd love to have an ACCURATE stress app for fitbit (guess why i went with fitbit) I applaud them for not implementing something that might come off as a half baked technology. Just google "is so-and-so's stress reading accurate". It's heart rate interpretation, it's not directly reading anything but interpreting the ups and downs in your heart-rate throughout the day. People think "stress" and think pressure and negativity, but it's literally just looking at spikes in heart rate, which could be from getting up to go to the bathroom, laughing at a joke, over exercising. If im getting a number like heart rate i want it to be from the way it is retrieved now, directly from shining a laser into my blood stream. I think we are a ways away from having tech that can accurately DETECT stress, because all they are doing right now is stress guessing. There's stress that doesnt spike your heart rate, how do they detect that? Cant.

tl;dr, great thing to have, but the tech wont be there for a while, and it's a waste of money on the devices that "offer" it.

descendingangel
Recovery Runner

I am entirely loyal to fitbit--everyone in my family wears one. I have already preordered the charge 3 for my husband and myself. The only thing making me even consider looking at a Garmin vivosmart 4 is their advertised stress tracking and reminders to relax when stressed. With the new sensors on the charge 3 it is entirely possible to add, I believe. Stress is such an important thing to monitor and the addition of stress tracking could literally be a life saver to some. It is really hard to come out of a stressful moment and remember to use the relax app on the fitbit charge 2 (or 3 when it arrives). If there were to be a vibration on the wrist and a message suggesting that the "user is stressed, perhaps they would like to use the relax feature?" It would simply be amazing. 

Thank you.

Vivace2018
Jogger

I would be extremely interested in a device that can measure HRV (heart rate variability) 24-hours per day.

It would be nice if it can be recorded in the app like the HRV.

More advanced features could be to give a signal when it's higher/lower than the day (or usual).

Just like heart rate zones.

Additionally, using HRV to give the recovery score in the morning would be useful.

HRV for biofeedback.

Jammurr
First Steps

I am using Garmin simply because of the stress monitoring, which is actually very useful in day to day use. 

If Fitbit had this feature I would consider changing .

AbbyPugh
First Steps

It would be helpful if the heart rate variability tracking had the ability to give a notification/vibration when your heart rate goes up, to help track stress level and cue you to use a strategy like the breathing exercises. It would be helpful to know in the moment without looking at the device that my heart rate has gone up.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AbbyPugh, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

An.Vega
First Steps

Very disappointed that Fitbit still doesn't have the stress monitoring app. I love Fitbit but, recently, I've been thinking of moving to Garmin since it has more features. 

jlb0706
Stepping Up

Please add an HRV score to the Fitbit phone apps.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jlb0706, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around.

owlfromvenus
Jogger

Last year I bought the Garmin Vivosmart 3, I didn't choose the Fitbit because it doesn't have stress tracking. One year later I am considering buying another fitness tracker as a gift and I am surprised: Fitbit still DOESN'T offer stress tracking? Then I'll be buying the Garmin Vivosmart 4.

I have been very satisfied with the stress tracking on my Garmin device, is the Fitbit so poorly designed that it isn't able to pick up on HRV?

owlfromvenus
Jogger

To the software developer who is trashing the stress tracking at other companies: the stress tracking on my Garmin Vivosmart device has been very useful for me in identifying my overall state and specific moments that are relaxing.

When "stress" is orange and "relaxation" is blue, my days used to be completely orange. Even the nights. I started changing my life and my nights became blue. I picked up a new job as a freelancer and when I was sitting down with clients those moments turned blue. The algorithms were providing me with information that my heart rate graph was not displaying.

The stress monitoring graph was very useful for me in changing my lifestyle and picking up what slows me down. When I get sick my measured stress ratings go up, full-on orange, also that is providing me with the information that my body is in a different mode than usual. It's a confirmation to slow down a bit.

It is a shame that Fitbit is not implementing a stress feature. I respect that you have very high standards, then name it something different if you don't want to call it a stress/HRV measurement. Have a heart rate graph that is quantitative (60–180 beats) and one that is qualitative (low–high).

Jazzykiwi
First Steps

I would love this feature! Would be great to differentiate increased heart rate from anxiety from increased heart rate from exercise. Id love to be able to see a graph of my stress levels throughout the day and receive real time vibration reminders to breathe when heart rate was elevated without movement/exercise

Chrismorgan87
First Steps

please make this feature!

X33K5
Keeping Pace

I'm going to switch to Fitbit from a different environment, watches I use now allow me to track my stress level and this will be one feature I will miss when I move to Fitbit. I hope in future Fitbit can implement this feature.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

HRV has decent correlations to aspects of fitness and also stress, so I think reporting it would be useful! 

If it could be tied into actionable suggestions concerning stress and/or CV health on the wareables or in the app, it would be even better.

Shine76
First Steps

I really like the Fitbit design and would be buying one. However, I’m being swung to buying a Garmin because of their stress monitoring feature. If Fitbit had this I’d be buying the Charge 3 instead... 

is is there any sign of this feature being added any time soon...?

808momof4
First Steps

Oh, yes please! I just switched over from the Samsung Galaxy watch and love my new Versa; however, I really REALLY miss the stress monitoring. 

Blondey_tay
First Steps

Heart rate variability gives so much insight to heart health. It wouldn’t take much to be able to track the variability when it already tracks your heart rate every few seconds. It would allow users to know how the health of their ANS system is performing. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Blondey_tay! That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing it.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

NJ999
First Steps

Yes, this!!!

I'm currently trying to decide which device to buy, and if the Fitbit Versa or Charge 3 had stress monitoring, one of those would be the clear winner and I would already have made my purchase. I'm very interested in getting alerts & suggestions for the breathing exercise when it detects that I'm stressed. Since Fitbit doesn't have this feature yet, I'm strongly considering a Garmin instead (Vivosmart 4 or Vivomove HR). I can't believe Fitbit hasn't jumped on this yet and hope they do soon!

Pparonett1
Jogger

HRV is for monitoring recovery level to know the intensity of the workout you should do next. I've seen it recommended in 2017 but not added to the features. It will improve performance outcomes and prevent me from having to buy one...I'd even pay for the added feature. I love that you've added chronometer. As someone with adrenal fatigue and to improve weight loss by monitoring overall body and coticoid response, Please add the HRV. Thank you

Patricia

Moderator edit: Label

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Pparonett1Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about monitoring the HRV in the Fitbit App.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.