Weight loss badges

I think it would be great to get the weight loss badges for manually putting in your weight also. I just went through where I lost 17 lbs and got a badge for losing 5 lbs of course I was like yay new badge till I found out it was a mistake because I lost more than that and then found out it was only for people that uses a scale. 😞

Moderator edit: added label

25 Comments
Stonefit
Recovery Runner

It seems to me that the objective of the whole community is to promote a healthy lifestyle.  Given this, people should be able to earn badges when manually entering their weight vs this only being an option if you have the Aria scale.  I have a scale that weighs, looks at water and does a more accurate BMI than the Aria is capable of - but even if it was a 5 dollar batheroom scale people should be able to enter their data and get the positive badge feedback for their progress - encouraging this activity is what it is all about.....unless of course you're just trying to sell the Aria scale......

Kevalicious99
Tempo Runner

Well sorry sunshine .. there is no such thing as a more accurate BMI. The BMI number is a simple math calculation ... no fancy stuff needed. I too have a fancy scale .. and the bmi number is accurate as the manufacturer just used the formula .. unless they mess that up then the number will be just as accurate as any other scale.

Just an FYI .. that formula is:   (mass in lbs / height in inches squared) * 703.06957964

amnh
Stepping Up

It'd be nice if you could earn a badge when you meet your goal weight!

kmhpsych
Jogger

Considering all the problems people have had with the accuracy of the Aria (even the help topics on the fitbit website say it can be off by as much as 2 pounds in either direction before it is considered a problem), as well as difficulty setting up and syncing, I did not purchase one.  I use the scale at my doctor's office and I would like to be able to earn weight badges for the successes I have had using my fitbit flex (lost over 40 pounds in less than 9 months).

I'm happy to have the badges look different or have some notation that they are based on self-reported manual entry, I just want to be able to earn the badges.

baktos
First Steps

I agree.  You should not be required to purchase Fitbit scales to achieve weight badges.  I think that this is very poor and mean spirited, especially given that you are able to record weight and other personal details via the online system.  The software changes required in the back end systems to make this happen would be minimal in any well designed system.  

Jkabir511
Recovery Runner

I would like to be able to earn badges for weight loss without having rto purchase the Aria scale.  I have been tracking my weight manually for 6 weeks now and just realized i hadnt gotten any badges for my losses.

gypsygail
Jogger

Yes, I too would like to earn my weight loss badges.  Can those badges only be obtained by purchasing the Aria scale?  It's disheartening not to be able to get my weight loss badges for all my hard work!

Piglit-1_too
Jogger

I agree.

It is both unfair and unreasonable to restrict weight loss badges to users of aria scales.  I cannot see any technical reason for withholding this feature from those of us still capable of reading digital scales and manually transcribing that data (date and weight)  into the dashboard via a browser. 

tv1957
Jogger

I have been using the Fitbit since Nov. 23,2014 and would love to see the weight loss badges extended to those of us who do not own the Aria Scale.  It's not that I don't want to purchase one.  It's a lack of funds!  Their a bit pricey for those of us who are on a budget.

kathf5775
Recovery Runner

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting a badge for weight loss. It says "start tracking weight" which I've BEEN doing! grr... very frustrating! Fitbit powers that be - change that please!!

Status changed to: New
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for your contribution @Jkabir511. I believe that this suggestion might motivate more users that are doing a great job losing those extra pounds. I will gladly send your request to our team members so they can take it into consideration.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum.

Have a great day!

Bonxy
Tempo Runner

It leaves badges to open to abuse though. 

Skitter
Jogger
People can abuse the badges anyway. It helps the people that wants to be honest and do the work and get badges and to where they want to be health and fitness wise. If someone wants to cheat they will do it regardless.
Status changed to: Released
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@Skitter This feature currently exists!

Manually logging weight, as well as weight goals, all count towards badges. Click here for more information.

Thanks for sharing your request with us on the Feature Request Board!

Skitter
Jogger
Awesome Thanks
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be good to get badges for manually entered weight loss.  Not everyone has the scales so manually enter weight loss and badges just give you a boost.

Regards

Jan

VaGent
Recovery Runner
I totally agree that badges should be earned without needing an aria scale. After all, it is Fitbit, not $bit. As far as the response above from the moderator stating that badges are still given when weight is entered manually, that seemed to be true in the past as I earned weight loss badges for 5, 10, 15, and 20 lbs lost, but I have since lost more than 25 lbs and am about to break the 30 lbs mark and did not get a badge for the 25. I realize that the weight loss is the most important thing, but it would be nice to get the affirmation and incentive to continue.
enref
First Steps

Please can you introduce a way to remove the weight badges earned. Someone else used my scales and their weight synced to my account and I "earned" a heap of badges that were not mine. I would love a way to remove this so when I make progress I get the badges I earned not nothing.

Additionally people who gain weight back might want to restart and removed badges? 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Darcanis
Jogger

For me my scale synced, but said I weighed 16.8 lbs which is less than my bones alone would weigh. lol   I got over 40 badges!!!  A way to delete would be great!

cunninro
Stepping Up

I incorrectly entered my weight in the log and I was awarded all the associated badges for the "weight loss", even though some of them were physically impossible. I corrected the entry, but the badges remain. I would like to be able to delete badges, or have them removed when the associated entry is changed, or even put in a ticket for support to remove them from the back end. 

Darcanis
Jogger

I contacted support through chat.  They escalated it to the ones with the tools and after a few days it was fixed and all my non-earned badges went away. 🙂   

Still easier if we could do it though like in the past.

enref
First Steps
I contacted helpdesk twice and was told they used to have the capability but don't now and to suggest it through this forum.
Darcanis
Jogger

Huh... That's weird.  I contacted the day I commented here Mar 12th.  He told me they couldn't do it same as they told you, but then said that he could escalate it to the ones that could. Took a few min for the paperwork on his end, but he sent it off for me.  I got a nice email from the person with the tools on the 13th (just looked it up to be sure of date) saying sorry to hear my scale did that and they removed the badges for me.  Maybe it depends on how lucky you get with the chat agent???  Or they changed their way of doing it since the 13th???  Or a agent that didn't know how to handle it as new...  Or a couple trying to pad their stats by doing the least work for the quickest chat/call time. Not uncommon in call centers I know many who work them and I worked a few myself when the IT industry jobs dried up during recession and all the tech companies were going belly up.  I never did it... as such my handle times were pretty bad as I actually fixed the issues. Customers loved me for it... Management... not so much... lol      

Most annoying thing is we had the ability to do it last year and after their update to the web interface and app they took it away!  Would think it would be a simple enough feature to keep for an upgrade... Maybe that's just the old software developer in me using logic again. lol   Probably a deadline to get the upgrade up and running so cut features to save time.  Sadly a very useful feature.  Just a guess from past experience in that field... Could be wrong.  

Lauraloo56
Jogger

I agree, would love the option of deleting badges - too easy to type in wrong amount

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.