Wheelchair use

If the team could improve FitBit for wheelchair use this would be wonderful.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

128 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@gwenny33 apple added this feature in 2016. 

gwenny33
First Steps

@Rich_Laue yes I know but you need to have an iPhone. It s quite bad from Fitbit to don't consider people with mobility issue.

kianapeacoc
First Steps
I am an avid Fitbit user going on 8 years or so. I would buy your Ace 3 immediately for my child who is a wheelchair user if you had an exercise setting for wheelchair rolls(steps). Add that and I’m sold.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kianapeacoc, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to user wheelchairs with Fitbit. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

TinkerHell
First Steps
I've stopped using my Fitbit because of this problem and I doubt I'll be
getting another device. Well done Fitbit you've just alienated yet another
disabled customer. 0★
FrenkyL
First Steps
So far ive been thinking of buying a fitbit for me and my girlfriend. however so far the tech support notified me there is no function for disabled users in a wheelchair to track how many "steps" they did.
Perhaps via a gyroscope its possible to read how many individual pushes a person do to get an accurate image of speed/ distance and effort.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FrenkyL, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track steps using a wheelchair. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Neuroticcuriosi
First Steps

It's been 5 years since it was "reviewed by moderator". I think this is a pretty big sign that Fitbit is never going to change the ableism in their app. 😔

TinkerHell
First Steps
I've stopped using Fitbit because of the ableism, I've advised others to
not even bother trying it.
They had their chance and they squandered it.
NGphoto
First Steps
As a wheelchair user, I would love if you could add options for accessibility such as having the option to change steps to self propelling a wheelchair (counting pushes).
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @NGphoto, thanks for sharing this suggestion about counting self propelling a wheelchair as exercise with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We'll keep tracking this request over time, so please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Caz80
First Steps

Hi is there any plans to make a fitbit that counts wheel movements on a manual wheelchair?, currently only Apple Watches have the function, I love my charge 3 but would love a more accurate means of tracking my daily activities while I work on improving my fitness. I know I am far from alone in this and this would be a huge plus for the disabled community.

TinkerHell
First Steps
I stopped using my fitbit about a year ago because they have failed the
disabled community. Currently waiting for a competitor that's not apple to
step up.
Fitwheels
Jogger

I just complained to @Fitbit on Twitter and they linked me to this thread lol. I've been making this suggestion since I got the Charge 2. 

Fitbit is owned by google, you need to do better. You need to be better. People with disabilities are just like anyone else. You are not doing your part with INCLUSION and DIVERSITY. 

Imagine having a "wheel" or "stroll" option with a wheelchair user wheeling icon? alongside the run/walk? Not only would it make all of us customers with a disability happy and make this a useful product -- but it would allow others to see those with a disability as active members of society and dispell misconceptions. This is a real fight we have on our hands, prejudice and lack of inclusion for those with a disability.

You need to help us by including us.

I propose the following features: 

1) "Wheel" or "Stroll" as an addition to tracked excercise like run/walk. 

2) a different calculation for wheelchair users, and perhaps a way for someone to select they use a wheelchair and therefore there would no longer be language like "steps" --- I dont need to be reminded I don't take steps everytime I check my stats lol. 

please consider this, even if you leave everything the same and simply add an ICON of a wheelchair user alongside run/walk. 

I really hope I don't check back in 3-4 years and find myself back at this thread asking for inclusion....

cheers

Oda

Janeywoo71
First Steps
Is there any plans to add a wheelchair function on the fit bit, like Apple have? i use a wheelchair and play wheelchair rugby. i have bought a fit bit to try and be more focused and increase fitness and loose weight. It would be great if there was a way to track pushes and indoor exercise.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Janeywoo71, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding more options to track activities using wheelchair. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Dace21uk
First Steps
When setting up the watch users can currently choose from steps or calories etc but there’s no selection for wheelchair users to measure pushes. So a new feature that allows pushes to be counted
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Dace21uk, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having a wheelchair mode available on our Fitbit devices with us. I noticed that a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Dace21uk
First Steps

So this has been suggested for seven years and Fitbit has done absolutely nothing about it. Shame on you Fitbit! Apple Watch is inferior in many ways but at least they have a wheelchair setting.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This thread needs a lot more activities and voted. Get your friends to vote, put a link to this suggestion on your signature. 

We need a wheelchair mode and maybe even some specific wheelchair activities when in wheelchair mode. 

Activities that are step based are not needed and could be removed. 

bhartman36
First Steps

I'm also a wheelchair user and would love this option for my Charge 4.

I'm mostly concerned with distance and calories.  I think the calorie burn is probably measured correctly, but I've had my distance be off by as much as 25%.  I went on a 6-mile roll and was told by my Fitbit that I had rolled 8 miles.  

ThatsGlassic
First Steps

Please stop telling me to get up and walk. If it was that easy, I would have done it years ago. Each wheelchair push exerts more energy than a step. I want credit where credit is due. Surely FitBit can figure this one out and update the software.

Wheelie01
First Steps
Brilliant comment

Sent from my Galaxy
Janeywoo71
First Steps

give us a wheelchair mode please.  It would be so nice.  I play wheelchair rugby and it never recognises an activity, and i have no idea what to log it as to be accurate.   

MANDZC
First Steps

I am a long term wheelchair user and have used a fitbit for a couple of years I would find it very useful if Fitbit could add features for wheelchair users maybe by using distance instead of steps or my how many lunges to propel the wheelchair I know of people who would find this so helpful and would open the market to a whole new community.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.