Wheelchair use

If the team could improve FitBit for wheelchair use this would be wonderful.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

128 Comments
Taote
Base Runner

It's hard to set realistic goals and impossible to earn badges as a wheelchair bound fitbit user.  I'd like to see some education, help with goals, and encouragement for those of us who have to have modified approaches to fitness.

Buddaboy182
Jogger

I have been using a Fitbit for more than a year and I use a wheelchair. I started out by just going through my normal routine and seeing how many "steps" the Fitbit counted that first day. I set a goal that was slightly higher afterwards, and have gradually increaed my goals. I've now lost 54 pounds, so don't let anyone tell you that a Fitbit won't work for someone using a wheelchair.

Wheelchairs23
First Steps
I've been only using FitBit for two days and I'm still wondering how it will work with me. I'm hoping to find more people to talk to about this.
stryker104
First Steps

My name is R. Wheeler.  i am wheelchair bound and would like to address the upper management or develpment area of the Fitbit Community.  My wife is an advent walker.  She gets home and goes  walking everyday.  She keeps track of her data through her phone and it tells her how far she has walked in mileage.  Not steps.  I know that steps is a big challenge in communities of all products out there.  But a GPS item like the surge I would like to have being wheelchair bound and it keeps track of my heart rate due to me being 46 and my wife Kelley is 49 and is interested in the Charge HR.  

I was wondering if and when the Charge HR and the Surge is sold or could be purchased early for the research team at Fitbit to record our times together.  I dont't wak but Kelley does.  So the surge would need to be calibrated or if you enter the information on the surge on the computer link,  we both could compete with each other if one does not walk one day then the other does.

I would like to offer that out there to FitBit.  If it is acceptable, we would use both the Charge HR for my wife and I would use the Surge with GPS and walk side by side every day and give feedback to the team at Fitbit and maybe something could be incorporated where other Wheelchair users will look and say hey, this is the right device for me.  Or even the idea of something being attached to the wheelchair to record rotation for calibration with the GPS?  

Moderator Edit: Removed personal information.

RobertVoorwinde
First Steps

Hi Randy,

Fitbit surely could calibrate any hand self propulsion  effort by the amount of lunges used to propel the wheelchair.

This could then relate to your calory burnoff and other functions.

Kind Regards 

Robert Voorwinde.

Fitwheels
Jogger

I don't know why FITBIT doesn't care about wheel-chair users. They don't reply or even give tips.

What is the STRIDE LENGTH for a wheel-chair user?

basically the fitbit is a good way to track SLEEP for wheel-chair user, otherwise, I don't find it very helpful

Fitwheels
Jogger

FITBIT does not care about wheel-chair users or those with disabilities.

there's a surprising lack of comments/support by FITBIT staff when it comes to questions from the disabled community.

I'm pretty shocked and saddened.

ABLEISM

Fitwheels
Jogger

IT would be nice to have settings related to wheel-chair users. And it'd be nice to be included in the exercise; so in addition to walk, run, bike there'd be "wheel-chair" 

it's not so hard to include us, is it? there's no reason for this ABLEISM and discrimination against the disabled. Wow, we use wheel-chairs, does that mean we don't want to be active?

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Lizzyd56
Jogger

I am also in a wheelchair. I use flex because I use the pool. I can do an overhand crawl without kicking. I can also do modified jumping jacks and (what is barely) water jogging! But after spending 60 to 90 minutes in the pool it will give me about half that in active minutes! I also go Mall "rolling". I did this yesterday for an hour and it tracted 30 active minutes and about 3,000 steps! Why? A more accessible friendly fitbit is VERY important!!! I am happy it links with my MyFinessPal account.It is asy for disabled people to put on weight! We need it more!  HELP!!!!

MarathonRoller
First Steps

FitBit needs to develop products that accurately track wheelchair activities ... AND the algorithms to go with them. While you can measure pushes (with some accuracy), there is no reasonable way to measure distance or energy expenditure since the current algorithms are based ONLY on steps.

There ARE scientific studies that could be used to develop the necessary algorithms. Many people are waiting on you (or your competitors) to provide for us ... don't be the ones behind the times, FitBit.

Faethe
Jogger

I have a 'One' from before I was a wheelchair user, but it doesn't work to count armstrokes unless I wear it on a wristband, I'm looking at getting a Flex or Charge HR now, as I believe that the step count is reported to be pretty accurate as a method of counting armstrokes. 

I'd love to see a setting in the dashboard somewhere that would adapt for wheelchair users to get a more accurate representation of calories and distance. Please could this be considered for future versions?

I do understand that the distance would be highly inaccurate as the distance covered with one push varies so much depending on terrain and slopes but an average figure that isn't based on walking would be great. Please consider it. I do also have a cycle computer on my wheelchair so would be happy to assist in providing data to compare armstrokes to distance if that helps?

ke7aqp
First Steps

I am an amputee and wheelchair user that would love to be able to customize the activity shortcuts to match the activities I can do. Get clue Fitbit, you are missing a whole other market for your product. I bought my Surge for 2 reasons, HR and GPS. Would love to be able to create custom exercize shortcuts for routines when I utilize my manual wheelchair, or any other activities I do. The fixed activities list you have is ok for most, but you can not run, walk, or hike on one leg. One other thing to ask, have you considered adding the use of a recombant bike feature for hanicapped individuals since you use your arms to power it? Being able to add custom activity short cuts will empower all users to get the most out of thier purchase of your product.

Mellen8262
First Steps

I am in a wheelchair and I just started using a FitBit Zip. I attach it to my bra strap, right by my shoulder joint. I went st"rolling" with a friend of mine (not in a wheelchair) who also uses a FitBit (on her wrist) and we compared "steps." Our "steps" are about 2:1 for (two of her steps to every one of mine). I have found that having the Zip next to my arm tracks the movements much better and more accurate than having it on the collar of my shirt or dress. I lowered my steps goal from 10,000 to 5,000 (which would be pretty close to a walking person's 10,000).

edzucker
First Steps

I like the quick view feature. However, there are times that it is not desireable. A setting to disable it while sleeping would be really great. There are other situations whew there needs to be an easy way to disable it that would be difficult for the fitbit to detect. One situation is the theater. When I raise my hands to applaud, the display often lights up.

wheeliebint
Jogger

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a Charge HR and I am a wheelchair user.   I knew beforehand that there was no designated wheelchair option with the tracker but it would be nice if one could be added at some point.  I used to use the Runkeeper App with a previous Android phone and this had a wheelchair function.  For now I enlisted the help of the husband and got him to count his paces to my propulsions and tried to work out my 'stride length' accordingly.  It won't be absolutely accurate because his legs are a lot shorter than mine but it will do for now.  I did toy with the idea of waiting for Chaotic Moon to get their tracker on the market (it is designing one purely for wheelchair users) but I am not renowned for my patience!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion @Conrad_Valmont.

We appreciate your candid feedback on this topic. We believe everyone should be able to access and enjoy our products and we’re working on ways to improve support for our customers experiencing disabilities. To learn more about accessibility features and support on Fitbit devices, see our help article help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2469.htm

Cripavenger
Recovery Runner
I've used my Flex for almost a year now. I love it!

I found that a push = a "step".
I use a stationary hand bike, one rotation = a " step".

FitBits and other step counters actually count your arm movements unless you're stapping it to your foot or bra.

I would love to work with FitBit on the "stride" ratio and working on adding wheelchair friendly exercises to their list.

This is a HUGE opportunity for FitBit to bit a market desperate for help in exercising and getting healthier!!
Cripavenger
Recovery Runner
I should add I've been a double leg amputee since I was 4 and use a wheelchair full time.
Wheelchairkiwi
First Steps
Please make it possible to count steps for a manual wheelchair user.

Little2bec
First Steps
I'm a wheelchair user most of the time but can also walk a little so it would be fantastic if Fitbit made it for everyone to use including wheelchairs
tylerdg33
First Steps

I would also like to see FitBit users be able to toggle between using a wheelchair or walking. This would be a fairly simple development, the algorithms on the accelerometer could be fine tuned by the engineers in no time!

Wheelchairkiwi
First Steps
So when do you think it might happen?

Jeanne
Dandipants
First Steps

Hello. My name is Andi. I've had my Flex 2 for almost two weeks, and I'm actually returning it because where your tech is currently just isn't quite the right fit for me, but I wanted to post here to explain why and make a suggestion or two: 

I am a disabled person with limited mobility. I try to walk as much as I can, but I do often require the use of a wheelchair, and when I do walk, I always require the use of a cane or a walker. I first tried the Flex 2 on my wrist, but the way that I move-- relying heavily on my upper body, always using both arms to get about, never just swinging free-- the tracker wasn't picking up hardly any of my steps. I then tried the tracker on my ankle, but I fear it gave me too many steps. And after a conversation with customer support I *think* I understand the tracking algorithm you use and why it doesn't necessarily work on the ankle. So that's why I'm returning it. 

Now for my suggestions-- It was suggested to me by customer support that I consider trying the pendant necklace as an alternative way to wear my tracker. No offense, but I'm not paying almost the same amount that I paid for the tracker itself just for something else to put the tracker in --that frankly, isn't all that attractive. Not to me, anyway. So there's suggestion one--make your additional bands/bangles/pendants prettier and less expensive. 

Second, and the bigger one-- there are a LOT of people like me, who don't move the same way as your average user but would really like to be able to use something like a fitbit to keep track of our activity and help us get healthier. --And your trackers really are great! They really do motivate you to move more. I kept looking at my step counting and thinking "I wanna get it higher!"  However, as previously stated, where your tech is now just isn't really right for people like me. Not yet. 

So the suggestion is this-- consider creating a line that IS meant to be worn on the ankle, with an algorithm to match of course. And something that can be programmed a lot more--where we can tell it HOW we move. And (I know this part is a stretch) maybe something that can be switched from walking to a wheelchair mode, for people like me that require both, and would like to track both. Because the way it is now, if I use my wheelchair, while I'm getting quite the workout in my upper body, it just thinks I'm sitting around doing basically nothing, which, as I'm sure you can imagine, can feel a bit depressing. 

So there's my two cents. Thank you for making such a great product that really motivates people to get active and healthy! This tracker may not have worked out well for me, but I WILL be keeping an eye on your future products, and if you ever come out with something that would fit my needs a little better, I will be purchasing again. 🙂 

Thanks, 

Andi

Cripavenger
Recovery Runner

I use my FitBit and I push a chair. It's pretty accurate as long as it's on your wrist. 

ccominsky
First Steps

I use a walker.  Would love it if my fitbit could track my progress.  C'mon fitbit - help us!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.