"Always on Display" option for Charge 4

Please add the always on mode to the charge 4. It is really disappointing that this feature is not available on charge 4

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

105 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @annemiekn, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having an "Always on display" mode for charge 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

MatsH
Jogger

Please give us the option to configure the screen display duration of the Charge 4. The current duration of less than 4 seconds is way to short.

Suggested options: 5 seconds, 30 seconds or indefinitely.

As I have understood, the previous feature requests "Keep clock face/device screen on for longer" and "Always on display" have been implemented for Versa and Ionic. So why not for the Charge 4?

See https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Keep-clock-face-device-screen-on-for-longer/idi-...

and https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Keep-Clock-Face-Device-Screen-On-Permanently/idi...

errantepiphany
Recovery Runner

Agreed that the current duration is way too short. I'm constantly having to re-twist my wrist or squeeze the tracker again to fully digest what is being displayed on the screen. I need more time before the screen turns off automatically. The ability to configure the screen-on duration is a necessity, in my opinion.

Sisix
First Steps

It is very disappointing to learn after purchasing my charge 4 that I can’t get an always on clock face. I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew! Pleaseeee make an always on screen compatible for this version!!!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Sisix, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to use "Always on screen" on Charge 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Sambeck
First Steps
It’s not rocket science, a basic software update is needed to enable a screen timeout / screen always on option for the Charge 4. How could a 4 second, non-adjustable screen timeout feature possibly have been green lighted in the first place? Such a silly feature. Not to mention the strong criticism it appears to have received in previous models.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Sambeck and @Sisix , thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see "Always on screen" for Charge 4. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. You can also check this other suggestion: Customize display time on Charge 4 (5-10-15+ seconds). A lot of users are asking for these option, I hope we receive updates soon.

surenk
Recovery Runner

I would love this at the expense of charging the unit every night. This should definitely be offered. 

Rob216
Recovery Runner

Couldn’t agree more

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'd also like to see an 'Always On' or adjustable screen time feature added to the Charge 4. The current screen time is WAY too short and it's downright annoying.

Soldaat
Recovery Runner

Definitely a must have feature and as a previous poster explained it should just be a simple software upgrade process to give us the option. I would be more than happy to be liable for the battery running out faster so Fitbit can even add a disclaimer so they can still market the battery life as 5-7 days.

Two situations that I can add where the dynamic screen is causing problems:

1. Running with a water bottle, music device, phone, etc. in one hand and then trying to view stats on the other wrist can be quite difficult as the device does not always register what you are trying to do on a run as your body is in motion. This means dropping your arm while running and bringing it up slowly and hoping the screen decides to turn on which breaks your rhythm

2. Running in cold/rainy weather with a jacket on. By the time you have the jacket sleeve over the device the screen is off again (or was never on). Now you need to use both hands to keep your sleeve up and press the side button or on screen to activate it or follow step one above with your sleeve permanently pulled up over the device

Bonus problem this would solve:

One thing I love about Fitbit is the attention to small fun details like the badges or the display showing a nice animation when reaching a goal like daily steps etc. The new feature that prompts when you are in cardio or peak is fantastic but with this device I can never manage to even see the prompt while I'm busy fighting to get the screen on. I really want to see the baby bird flying that banner all the way across my screen and not just the end part of the animation.

Please add this always on screen mode feature to the Charge 4 and all future devices, from a software standpoint it costs nothing.

Askander
First Steps

This is a must have feature, please update the firmware ASAP

artash
Recovery Runner

I have bought my first ever fitness tracker Fibit Charge 4 a couple of days and I am surprised that there is no such feature available. 

I need to have a real time view of my stats particularly heart rate and I am really surprised that users have to go through this long process of voting etc to have this available. Yet it is not clear when this update will be made. 

@YojanaFitbit could you please update when Always On option will be available? 

Etanman
First Steps

There really needs an always on display option, not just a screen time out. Sometimes I need to glance at my wrist for stats and I am not able to rotate my wrist. Please make this a feature

Jolindo
First Steps

Fully agree with all the above. I bought my charge 4 only two weeks ago and a tracker without the possibility of an always on screen is so not 2020 and NOT what I expected, really disappointed! 

kellymilligan
First Steps

Absolutely agree that this is a critical feature request. 

Just took this out for first time, and the tracker is currently quite dangerous to use while cycling; it rarely responds to wrist motion to bring up the screen, causing to me to spend a lot of time taking my eyes off the road to try and catch a glance of the display. 

At the very least, the display should remain on and visible while a workout is active. 

Cheers

JennMG
First Steps

Couldn't agree more.  I just bought mine today and already realize how impractical it is to have a 4 second display.  What's the point of having a timer/stopwatch feature if it can't be used??  I would gladly charge my fitbit every day if it meant being able to keep the display on. I'll give it a few weeks to see if I can get used to it, but it is probably a deal breaker and will get returned. 

Alfisti64
First Steps

I am brand new to all this fitbit lark (in recovering from a triple. heart bypass) - I only received my Charge 4 yesterday. I'm still trying to set up various features but many don't seem to want to work (UK bank, Spotify) but these are minor irritations

What I really struggle with is the display. Sometimes it comes on when I turn my wrist a certain way, but often not. What I REALLY want is the display on all the time outside sleep times, which I see are already parameters I can set. 

Please make this a feature we can add to our existing tools. This lack of display has already turned my wife off having one of her own... 

jpindenver
First Steps

Didn't think to look for this feature when I bought this. But seriously annoyed after my first workout with it. Over half the time, it's not intuitive enough to know when you go to look at it unless you make an awkwardly fast movement and/or position it in a place that you would normally not do unless you were a robot. Can't believe I can't just turn the screen on for 45 minutes straight. I don't care about charging more often. I probably double tapped the screen about 40-50 times through my workout since I like to time every rest period between sets. Massive bummer. Please fix.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Jabazb
Jogger

I wouldn’t have bought the Charge 4 had I know  there is no option to have the clock face ‘always on’. The reason explained in previous posts. I have had previous Fitbits (Charge 2 and Charge 3) and this has never been an issue. Very disappointing.

anlyho
First Steps

Just received my Charge 4 today and have spent more than an hour trying to make the screen stay on before finding this thread. This is a real design flaw in my opinion. The screen blinks off before I have a chance to read it, made worse by the fact I’m learning what the icons mean. Will try to get used to it for a few days, but seriously minded to return it.

jpindenver
First Steps

I recently received a firmware update (performed through the app on my
phone) for my new Charge 4 (as of Sep, 2020) that allows 3 different
settings for length of time that you can have it stay on. The longest is 30
seconds. I still want always on while doing a workout but this at least a
little better than the 4 seconds it originally came with. The 3 settings
only change the amount of time you can view it while in an auto-on wrist
movement. So if you put your wrist back down enough, it automatically
recognizes that and turns it off again before the 30 seconds is up, even if
you're still looking at it from a lower angle. I wish it would just stay on
for 30 sec after the auto on is activated no matter what you do with your
wrist after that. But better than nothing right now I guess.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

anlyho
First Steps

Thanks for replying. I could live with that for now. Is that option likely to be on my new Charge 4 or do I have to do a firmware update like you did? Also, I’m not a premium subscriber if that makes a difference. Thanks again 🙂

jpindenver
First Steps
I'm not a premium subscriber either so I'm sure it's a universal feature. I
suppose it depends on what the manufacture date on the unit is. I bought
mine directly from FitBit less than 30 days ago. So I imagine it's a brand
new feature that might not be on all shelf units right now. The firmware
update is very easy to perform on the app.
Alfisti64
First Steps
You can make it stay on for longer go into settings on the device itself.
I've had the same issue.

Actually I've started to become used to it, I have a watch and use that. I
do value the vibrations it does when you reach certain bpm...
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.