Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOD guidelines

ANSWERED

1). Is the AOD mode allowed to have colour, or is it just supposed to be black and white?

2). If my clock face has AOD functionality does this mean I have to make a separate one for versa and versa lite watches?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

We aren’t quite ready to roll this out publicly just yet due to the need to adhere to strict hardware requirements. The primary reasons are that incorrectly implemented AOD apps and clocks can greatly reduce battery life and/or cause physical damage to the display, or to the display integrated circuit, and we want to ensure the best experience for our users.

With this in mind, we've been working closely with a small group of our amazing community developers to push the limits of our platform, testing this new API, and helping us to improve our tooling and processes around the gallery review process.

For now, AOD is gated behind a restricted permission that needs to be granted to a developer profile, and also granted for each clock or app (once reviewed). Without these permissions, apps and clocks cannot be uploaded to Fitbit Gallery App Manager, or used on physical devices. You can experiment with AOD using the simulator, but it will not work when sideloaded on a real device.

https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2019-12-19-announcing-fitbit-os-sdk-4.1/

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

1) Colour is fine, so long as required percentage of pixels is black.

2) You can do it all in one code-base. You can use the API to check whether your clockface might be permitted to enter AOD mode, and it will never be told to do so on a non-AOD device.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thank you, I tried to upload my clock face to the Gallery and got an error: "permission "access_aod" not allowed

what should I do?

Best Answer

Not everybody has been approved to upload AOD clockfaces. You won't be able to upload an AOD-enabled clockface, or test it on a watch, unless Fitbit authorises you.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

We aren’t quite ready to roll this out publicly just yet due to the need to adhere to strict hardware requirements. The primary reasons are that incorrectly implemented AOD apps and clocks can greatly reduce battery life and/or cause physical damage to the display, or to the display integrated circuit, and we want to ensure the best experience for our users.

With this in mind, we've been working closely with a small group of our amazing community developers to push the limits of our platform, testing this new API, and helping us to improve our tooling and processes around the gallery review process.

For now, AOD is gated behind a restricted permission that needs to be granted to a developer profile, and also granted for each clock or app (once reviewed). Without these permissions, apps and clocks cannot be uploaded to Fitbit Gallery App Manager, or used on physical devices. You can experiment with AOD using the simulator, but it will not work when sideloaded on a real device.

https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2019-12-19-announcing-fitbit-os-sdk-4.1/

Best Answer

I've been sending for a long time and no response. I once wrote in the comments that the AOD-ready watchface and it was not accepted. This is one of the main disappointments and the acceptance queue. But you can pretend that everything is normal and wait.

Best Answer