Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid "origin=null" set in POST request

Hey there,

I'm fighting with this for the whole weekend and I'm running out of ideas.

I try to create a personal app to retrieve data from Microsoft and display them on my fitbit.
For this, I need to get an access token via a refresh token and then later use this access token to retrieve data for my personal user.

This is my code:

var formdata = new FormData();
formdata.append("client_id", "<client_id>");
formdata.append("refresh_token", "<refresh_token>");
formdata.append("client_secret", "<secret>");
formdata.append("grant_type", "refresh_token");

var requestOptions = {
    method: 'POST',
    body: formdata
};

fetch("https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/v2.0/token?", requestOptions)
.then(response => response.text())
.then(result => console.log(result))
.catch(error => console.log('error', error));

The call to get a new access token fails though while the request works with curl, Postman, Python and NodeJS
Companion: {"error":"invalid_request","error_description":"AADSTS90023: Cross-origin token redemption is permitted only for the 'Single-Page Application' client-type.\r\nTrace ID: 26ee9e75-6832-4d39-9bbe-730a4807b600\r\nCorrelation ID: 1c6c2d50-66bb-4827-ad08-a24a455270c4\r\nTimestamp: 2021-05-09 21:07:57Z","error_codes":[90023],"timestamp":"2021-05-09 21:07:57Z","trace_id":"26ee9e75-6832-4d39-9bbe-730a4807b600","correlation_id":"1c6c2d50-66bb-4827-ad08-a24a455270c4"}

By inspecting requests and playing around with headers I figured out that header origin=null is set on a POST request executed in the companion, e.g. tested here with a call to a local API:
Host: localhost:5000
Connection: keep-alive
Content-Length: 830
Origin: null
Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_16_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) FitbitOSSimulator/0.9.0 Chrome/80.0.3987.165 Electron/8.5.0 Safari/537.36
Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundary3RzdLIweHmZyTbDd
Accept: */*
Sec-Fetch-Site: cross-site
Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Accept-Language: en-GB

Adding origin=null to the working requests in e.g. Python makes them fail the same way as via the companion. Is there any way to avoid the setting of origin? AFAIK the companion is run via a webview, which is probably causing all this, but I don't know if there's any way around this.

Because of this I'm not able to authenticate with Microsoft as it thinks it's a CORS request, even though actually it's coming from the "backend" in the companion and shouldn't have an origin set (as it e.g. works via NodeJS).

Any ideas on this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Are you seeing this on the simulator, a real device, or both?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is in the simulator, didn't check in on a real device yet, as I usually develop against the simulator.
You think the behaviour could be different on simulator and device?

I'll give it a try then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Late to get back to this, but just in case someone gets to this post again.
Indeed this issue only appears in the OS simulator and it works fine on a device.

My code can be found here:
https://github.com/SaskiaKeil/fitbit-todo

Best Answer
0 Votes