Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C# cross platform development

Came across C# and Xamarin. This will allow developers to use same logic across iOS, Android and Windows. Is there any plans for Fitbit to support development on this platform ? This might make sense after Google integration. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

If you are interested in cross-platform development, keep your eye on Flutter:  https://flutter.dev/

Google developed it, and is throwing it's full-weight behind the platform.  In fact, Google's own mobile apps use Flutter.  I've done a few myself on Google Play and it's pretty impressive.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion, I spend some time looking at Flutter, it seems that each platform have its pros and cons. C# might have wider application than Dart but Flutter does makes life much easier for app development. Still undecided on which one to concentrate on....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Xamarin is native. It allows to write apps which are much near on the device as Flutter can do. Also to develop apps where some parts are exclusive for a single platform is much easier as in any other framework.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my opinion, the choice depends on the goals of the project. Xamarin does let you get deeper into the native features of the mobile device. It's also a more mature platform with better support. Flutter is easy to learn with near native performance. If you don't need to get into the weeds and want an app quickly, Flutter is a good option. My main problem with Flutter is that it is such a young platform. So, finding out information is often a challenge, and some of the components (like the HTML viewer) aren't quite ready for a production app yet. Also being so young, the APIs are more likely to change over time. It's worth watching though.

Of course, the Google Antitrust lawsuit doesn't help things. And who knows whether Google's concessions to the EU regarding Fitbit data will be accepted long term. Unfortunately, Fitbit's market share is suffering as a result (as well as from supply chain issues from China due to the pandemic), dropping almost 30% between Q2 2019 and Q2 2020.

https://www.axios.com/google-fitbit-deal-pre-post-pandemic-merger-eca12d38-0b77-4ffe-8a1e-579eda9f92...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bear in mind that the operating system on Fitbit smart watches isn't derived from windows, iOS, macOS, Android, linux, etc (and yes, most of those are linux). I think Fitbit OS based on FreeRTOS, which has far less hardware requirements. Most cross-platform tools haven't made it to FreeRTOS.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep.  I was talking more about mobile apps in general, with maybe integration through a Web API.  I wouldn't expect either Xamarin nor Flutter to directly support Fitbit OS because the environment is so specialized.  Then again, you never know -- I mean, I wouldn't have expected folks to support tvOS either ... but there it is!  😉  LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes