Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock Face Development with a Settings Page

ANSWERED

Hey guys!

I used to develop Pebble Apps and recently got a Fitbit Ionic. The Pebble applications allowed for a Settings page to customize the watch-face based off of user preferences.

I see you can add a settings page for Fitbit Ionic apps. Just wanted to check before I run down some crazy rabbit hole trying to get this to work (been trying for 2 hours now).

Is it possible to add a settings page to a Clock Face. Because I don't see any apps out there using it and I'm having trouble loading the "Companion app" on my phone during developement.

The companion app loading works when my project is an app, but not as a Clock Face.

Barry Michael Doyle
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

At first try to create a simple project based on the 'Settings' project template.
You can simply change your app into a watchface by changing the 'Type' in the package.json. 

You should try this with the 'Settings' project first to see how it works.

You need to know, that you can have only one watchface on your Ionic. To get rid of the sideloaded apps by the Fitbit Studio, you must go into the Developer Mode Section of your Fitbit phone app, open the app and delete it with the 'Delete Application' Button.
You also need to know, that the connection between the Ionic and the phone is not really reliable. If this connection is lost, no settings will work. In this case a sync with the device may help, also a republish of your app using the Fitbit Studio will reactivate it (sometimes).

If you develop watchfaces, you should be sure, that you'll not have a deadlock or a ever running loop inside your code. 

My advice for now: Build a complete standalone watchface.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

At first try to create a simple project based on the 'Settings' project template.
You can simply change your app into a watchface by changing the 'Type' in the package.json. 

You should try this with the 'Settings' project first to see how it works.

You need to know, that you can have only one watchface on your Ionic. To get rid of the sideloaded apps by the Fitbit Studio, you must go into the Developer Mode Section of your Fitbit phone app, open the app and delete it with the 'Delete Application' Button.
You also need to know, that the connection between the Ionic and the phone is not really reliable. If this connection is lost, no settings will work. In this case a sync with the device may help, also a republish of your app using the Fitbit Studio will reactivate it (sometimes).

If you develop watchfaces, you should be sure, that you'll not have a deadlock or a ever running loop inside your code. 

My advice for now: Build a complete standalone watchface.

Best Answer

Thanks a lot! This really does help a lot!

Barry Michael Doyle
Best Answer
0 Votes