Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicating with a native phone app

ANSWERED

What are the options for transferring data between a native phone app and a FitBit app?

Must we first transfer data between the native phone app and the companion app via the Internet? I hope not, because this means the companion app would have to constantly poll, the FitBit app would only reflect changes every 5 minutes (2.5 minutes on average at best), and the native phone app would have to poll or keep a websocket open.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, at this time we don't offer any libraries for communicating directly with mobile applications, but we're aware of the use cases, and hope to offer this in a future update.

Thanks

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Unfortunately, at this time we don't offer any libraries for communicating directly with mobile applications, but we're aware of the use cases, and hope to offer this in a future update.

Thanks

Best Answer

Okay, thank you! I'm not sure if I should "accept this solution" or not -- given that the real solution is pending.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: I've come up with a solution that seems to fit the platform constraints. It's both simpler than I first imagined and may even put me on a better path toward success. Yay for creative constraints! Thanks for all your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

jtlapp,

Can you share your approach here? I am a PhD student and I am interested in getting data from a fitbit (steps, heart rate) and storing it on my Android SD card.

Thanks,

hlyates

Best Answer
0 Votes

I attempted to answer you in your thread on the topic

@hlyates wrote:

jtlapp,

Can you share your approach here? I am a PhD student and I am interested in getting data from a fitbit (steps, heart rate) and storing it on my Android SD card.

Thanks,

hlyates

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would be useful to have a Bluetooth LE API so we could build our own protocol and send data to any custom APP. For now, bridging the data through the companion App seems the right choice. I have a similar project, but I would like to store accelerometer, GPS, gyros, magnetometer, altimeter data at high rate (100Hz) and transfer it to a custom app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer