Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companion App / Web API

Hi everyone,

I am trying build a watch face that displays progress towards weekly goals, which are only accessible via the Web API.

I understand that I have to build a Companion App for my watch face, and this has to request the goals from the Web API. It looks as though the Companion App needs a settings page where the user can authenticate and allow the Companion App to retrieve data on their behalf.

I found an example of a Companion App here that explains how to do this:

https://github.com/Fitbit/sdk-oauth

I'm comfortable with the programming required, I am a software developer.

So I looked at the form that allows me to register my application and get the client ID and client secret I need to make this work.

My question is, do I really need to provide URLs to terms of service and a privacy policy? I'm just an individual making a watch face for fun, probably just for my own use.

What can I put in the fields in order to register my application? Am I going about this the right way?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Howard

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @HowardMcD,

Welcome to the forums!

For the Web APIs, it should be fine to include dummy values for the Terms and Privacy Policy for personal use against your own data. However, If you distribute the application to anyone else, you will need to provide URLs to your terms of service and privacy policy.

Maybe someone in the SDK forum could chime in with additional feedback. 

I hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks John, I might try that. What I've decided to do for now is just to have the user re-enter their weekly goals into the companion app settings. I managed to get the settings working last night.

Thanks,

Howard

Best Answer
0 Votes