Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compass

In the Ionic Technical Specs , it mentions a digital compass.

Cant find any mention of this in the SDK , Does it have a compass and if so how do I read the heading 

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Can you point me to those technical specs?

Best Answer

That confused me too @JonFitbit

I can't see any reference to a digital compass on fitbit sites but there are mentions of it if you google e.g.:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/wearable-technology/fitbit-ionic/24397/apple-watch-2-vs-fitbit-ionic-b...

Best Answer
0 Votes
https://www.fitbit.com/ionic

expand design and specs , then click on technical specs

this was the deciding factor for me when choosing between this and the garmin fenix 3
Best Answer
0 Votes

https://www.fitbit.com/ionic

expand design and specs section and click on technical specs.

this was a factor in choosing this over the garmin fenix 3 

Best Answer

from fitbit 

We would like to let you know that this feature is included in the Fitbit Ionic like the SpO2 sensor. Our engineering team are still exploring how this would appear in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor. In the future, this sensor will be available for our consumers.  

So Basically , this device is not ready yet for consumers, the features have not been implemented and it doesn't seem like fitbit know how to, the fenix has had these features for a long time , the question is how long do we have to wait , or do I ditch the Ionic for a more mature product and come back when its actually finished

Best Answer

I'm also curious about the "temperature sensor" that is mentioned in the manual. Does the device actually have a temperature sensor? It's not exposed in the UI or any of the APIs.

Best Answer
I'm guessing it's the same as the compass Here is the response from fitbit .

We would like to let you know that we don't have a time frame for the features to be available to the customers since they need to be fully tested in order to be used. 
So don't hold your breath , personally I'm regretting putting £300 down on an activity tracker .Wish I had got the fenix 3 for a similar price Or if your an Apple user the Apple watch is 10 times the smart watch this is I'll try my luck with a refund with my retailer .
Best Answer

I find it scary that developers do not know what the marketing sells. 🙂 The reference to the compass is still there, in all languages.

Fitbit Ionic, Nokia 7 plus
Best Answer

I think the Digitial compass does'nt mean a Magnetometer.
It's a calculated value between two positions when you're moving.
This value can be read via the Geolocation API.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rather late to be replying but just came across your post when looking for a Fitbit Compass. Didn't find one  - but here's an app which uses the 'compass' feature:

Best Transportation + Local App

Salty Dog
Most sports and fitness apps measure distance and speed in miles or kilometers per hour—and track location using GPS technology. But what if your sport happens to be sailing or kiteboarding or ice boating (yes, there is such a thing). SaltyDog, the first-place winner in the Transportation+Local category, tracks speed in knots and also displays current compass heading—critical information for those involved in these types of water sports. Download with mobile browser »

Best Answer
0 Votes