Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility with Sleep as Android App

ANSWERED

Hi, Sleep as Android developers here -- we thought that with the new Fitbit Ionic the integration would be possible since they released a shiny new API with this watch, but unfortunately it is not possible to do it offline -- there is no possibility of directly sending sensor data from watch to phone and without it it doesn't make sense...

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@artaud wrote: 

I just have no way to send them to the phone app (Sleep as Android) offline without some creepy http server solution on the phone side.

As I can see from the API specifications and community topics, you are right. But taking into account that Sleep as Android is interested in FirBit users too, may be it would make sense to implement the "creepy http server solution"? Of course, the server should be started only if FitBit watch is linked/enabled in settings or something like that. But theoretically it should work, and it does not look like an year of development.

As Pebble is going to die soon, and as there is definitely no good Android Watches on the market (functional and good loocking at the same time), FirBit looks like not a bad option. 

Finally: the solution is a bad one, but it's a solution. Sleep as Android team, why not? At the end it might be an interesting technical challenge 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Wait, are you saying that you can't hook into the watch and gather data?  Even though there's an android based App all ready for it?  That doesn't make much sense since they include their API.

What's the compatibility issue, are they not allowing you the right hooks into the API or is there something with the data end?  Or, less likely, is it your app that's the problem?

Best Answer

@StreakDragon wrote:

Wait, are you saying that you can't hook into the watch and gather data?  Even though there's an android based App all ready for it?  That doesn't make much sense since they include their API.

Not sure what android-based app are you talking about. I'm saying that the new API that comes with Fitbit Ionic does not allow your own mobile app to communicate directly with your own watch app. See our post here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/Fitbit-SDK-and-APIs-despredly-needs-to-talk-to-phone...

I can hook into the watch (meaning I can create an app for the watch) to gather data. I just have no way to send them to the phone app (Sleep as Android) offline without some creepy http server solution on the phone side.

Best Answer

@artaud wrote: 

I just have no way to send them to the phone app (Sleep as Android) offline without some creepy http server solution on the phone side.

As I can see from the API specifications and community topics, you are right. But taking into account that Sleep as Android is interested in FirBit users too, may be it would make sense to implement the "creepy http server solution"? Of course, the server should be started only if FitBit watch is linked/enabled in settings or something like that. But theoretically it should work, and it does not look like an year of development.

As Pebble is going to die soon, and as there is definitely no good Android Watches on the market (functional and good loocking at the same time), FirBit looks like not a bad option. 

Finally: the solution is a bad one, but it's a solution. Sleep as Android team, why not? At the end it might be an interesting technical challenge 🙂

Best Answer

Fitbit has a history of not listening to their users. Case and point since 2015 over 7,000 people have upvoted various requests to implement a simple change to their app that turns off the quick view feature on the Fitbit when the phone is in Do not Disturb mode. They haven't responded to that nor will they respond to this popular request for the API to allow real-time visibility of even the gyroscope changes so that apps like Sleep as Android can accurately track sleep. I will not be buying another Fitbit unless they start listening to their customers. Microsoft did it. It really does work.

Best Answer

Working on it, hope to get it ready in a few days

Best Answer

This would be amazing on so many levels. I have been waiting for Fitbit and Sleep As Android integration for a long time. 

Best Answer

I have intentionally not bought a Fitbit because of this issue specifically. Following this thread for any much-anticipated updates on this integration. As it is I have been using a cheap but effective mi band and have created a very carefully curated network of data pushes and pulls to give me all the health info I care about in the apps I prefer to use. Google Fit is a great database but I pretty much never use it's interface except to check the raw data values if something looks weird elsewhere. Sleep as Android is by far my most used health tracking app and has made the biggest impact on improving my health. If Fitbit cared about attracting users they'd make it less painful for people who know what they want to find a solution in their product or at least make it easy to build it yourself. I currently use IFTTT and Tasker concurrently to achieve my desired set up, but even doing that for Fitbit requires me to get a deve

Best Answer

*requires me to get set up as a developer. Why not make it useable instead

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has not been solved!

Moderator edit: removed all caps

Best Answer

Sleep as Android, if they wanted to could access your sleep data through fitbits API. 

Walgreens knows everyone I sleep, I to really should not be a problem for Sleep as Android.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That isn't completely accurate. The Fitbit API does not give access to real time gyroscopic (movement) data, which Sleep as Android uses to monitor sleep and restlessness.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That might be hard, since Fitbit uses accelerometers not a gyroscope. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sheesh, where is this heading? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich, you missed my point.  Point is, that if Sleep as Android doesn't have real time access to that API, then it's not as easy as you suggested.

Best Answer

See Sleep as Android Developer Request below for his explanation:

Fitbit SDK and APIs despredly needs to talk to phone apps on Android and iOS
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner your post was deleted because of the unfriendly tone, I'm sure this was explained to you.

The saved data on the tracker does not go to the Fitbit phone app, but goes to the Fitbit server in the cloud.

The Fitbit app does not have access to the data that you say sleep for Android needs. Therefore it will not make any difference to talk to the Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@artaud wrote:

Hi, Sleep as Android developers here -- we thought that with the new Fitbit Ionic the integration would be possible since they released a shiny new API with this watch, but unfortunately it is not possible to do it offline -- there is no possibility of directly sending sensor data from watch to phone and without it it doesn't make sense...

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Oh, that is too bad. I was hoping you would find a way. Oh well. I still use both my Fitbit Versa and your app. I use the sonar for tracking. A german shepherd sleeps on my bed with me and she snores (I swear it's not me!), so I don't know how much accuracy I'm getting. I have two sleep tracking systems, and that's OK.

Thanks for being transparent about your efforts and the reason it won't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually there must've been some misunderstanding as the truth is that we (Sleep as Android) have the integration almost ready to launch. Just a few polishes here and there.

Best Answer

Great news! I look forward to it. 😁

Best Answer
0 Votes