Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Exercise Type

ANSWERED

I've been building a custom exercise using the new Exercise API. At some point yesterday, the custom exercise stopped saving with my custom title in the Activity Log, and is now saving as "Aerobic Workout" instead. After going crazy looking through my code to determine if I inadvertently did something to it, I tested another App already in the App Gallery (the Skateboard app) and it seems to have reverted as well. It is saving as just "Workout" now, when it was saving previously as "Skateboard".

Has anyone else noticed this issue? The code for starting an exercise is pretty simple. Per the API, you just pass it a String with a pre-defined or custom exercise type, and some exercise options. I've validated I'm passing those correctly. Although, when I log out the exercise type immediately after starting, it is coming back as undefined. Which I find really odd. I'm wondering if something might have broken in the API yesterday, or if maybe I may have unknowingly "broken" something in my Ionic or Fitbit account with some bad code yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the code in question:

let exerciseName = config.exerciseName[Application.selectedExercise];
console.log(exerciseName);
exercise.start(exerciseName, config.exerciseOptions);
console.log(exercise.type);
console.log(exercise.state);

And the relevant output:
[7:08:41 AM] Custom Exercise
[7:08:41 AM] undefined
[7:08:41 AM] started

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for reporting this. An update did go out yesterday, so it's probably related. The correct team are investigating.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for reporting this. An update did go out yesterday, so it's probably related. The correct team are investigating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just checked that with my SUP App. Same here. Exercise Type is now Aerobic. Not nice at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, all custom exercise types I tried map to Aerobic.

But I have noticed there are more predefined exercise types now:

"Alpine Snow" now maps to a skiing profile. Quite nice. It logs the GPS track. However, instead of logging "pace" in the dashboard I would appreciate to see "speed" instead. Would be more natural for skiing.

"Skateboard" now maps to a scateboard profile.

So here are my questions to the Fitbit team:

Are there more new exercise types? Ecpecially the new skiing profile looks like there would be different skiing profiles. Waht about the custom profiles mapping to Aerobic now?

Best

Uwe

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm running into the same problem and I was wondering if this is already solved or going to be solved in the near future

Best Answer

I've still got this issue (and possibly related, I can't enter a custom exercise type in the Fitbit phone app either - it clears the exercise name that I type and won't let me continue unless I choose a pre-determined one). Is there a timeline on fixing it yet?

Best Answer

@JonFitbit Any updates on that one? I have a lot of users complaining about this one.

Best Answer

Just been scratching my head over this one for the past few hours. Seems it's still not fixed?

Best Answer
Unfortunately not.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @JonFitbit ,

Has this been addressed? I've recently written an app to track my gym classes and I've coming across the same issue where all my workouts are saving as "Aerobic Workout" 😭.

Cheers,

Johnny

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nope this is not yet resolved. 😞
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just ran into this yesterday. How is this still not resolved?

Best Answer