Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fitbit account for cross-dominance?

This question is borne mostly out of curiosity, but as an enthusiastic user it may have some impact on how I wear my tracker. 

I am cross-dominant, which basically means mixed-handedness. It is not the same as ambidextrous. I do a lot of things with my right hand, like write, but I do a lot with my left, like throw. Does the dominance setting, or the programming of the fitbit's sensors, take into account people like me?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I certainly don't know the inner workings, but the "handedness" question is just used to filter out some "steps" if worn on dominant wrist, to try to eliminate some pseudo-steps from action such as brushing teeth or brushing hair which can look like walking to your wrist.  For the fitbit setup, I would just try to think about which hand is more likely to be doing regular repetitive motions that could look like steps to fitbit.

And I have no idea how much of a difference that setting actually makes.  For myself, I sometimes switch my tracker temporarily to the other wrist without bothering to adjust the settings, but I'm not overly concerned about the presumable small difference that would make for a few hours.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes