Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Fitbit Sense][API] Is going FitBit sense temperature and EDA be exposed to the API ?

Hello,

I'm considering buying a large batch of the new FitBit sense for a scientific study. Is going FitBit sense temperature and EDA be exposed to the API, so that it could be measured by an independent software?

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

Thanks for your enquiry Daniel, I'll send you a private message.

Best Answer

Hi Jon,

I would also like to know this information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JonFitbit ,

I think this information could be useful to every developer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I would like to know as well. We are planning to deploy a large batch and were considering Oura and others. Now that Sense is here, I would like to know whether the data can be pulled through API. Please let me know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Jon,

I would also know to know this information in order to buy one and to make test. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would love to know about this: Is the API going to provide access to SPO2 and Temp for Fitbit Sense API. Please do let us know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jon, I would also like to know whether or not the newer metrics like SpO2, temperature, stress data, etc. will be available through the WebAPI. I'm building a health wearables solution for a community and I need to know the information before purchasing our batch of Sense devices.

Best Answer

Hi Jon

I'm really interested as well in getting access to the raw SPO2 and Temperature information from the Sense via the Sensors API.

What can we expect?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Hi @JonFitbit,

I too would like to know about it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Every consumer review I've read says that the Sense and Versa 3 only provide a basic reading from the new sensors out-of-the-box. For the data to be truly useful, a $9.99/month Fitbit premium membership is required (or at least strongly recommended).

I'd be shocked if a public API were made available. A public API would allow clever developers to bypass the premium subscription service, or (worse yet) open a vulnerability for third-party snooping. Insurance companies would love to get their hands on this sort of data!

My chief concern would be more about privacy. If I am NOT a premium member, is the Fitbit tracker still collecting my information? If so, how do I manage my data, and what exactly is being done with my information?

Nowadays, developers need to approach problems not in terms of "how can it be programmed?" but rather "how can my program be misused?"

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Sense and I can perform ECG scans, EDA tests, etc. without a premium membership. I think people were confused by the fact that certain features were not initially available due to awaiting FDA approval. Those options are now available to all users.

If you're not a paying premium member, you wouldn't have access to whatever apps are required for "premium features", thus you wouldn't be able to record the statistics and they wouldn't be in your API data. Every other manufacturer (Garmin, Withings [Nokia], Samsung) provide API access to all of their data so it's a loss on Fitbit's part to not provide it. Without this data, I'm forced to build my applications (which would include the purchase of a large number of wearables) on the basis of other manufacturers.

Best Answer

Great account name, by the way!  😉

In the most recent version that I saw, Han Solo and Greedo joined hands as the entire Mos Eisley cantina broke into a chorus with Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes playing "Kumbaya"!  It just wasn't the same.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL I'd be fine with that...just so long as the song finished with Han shooting him anyway.

Best Answer

Hey @JonFitbit, I am a Ph.D. candidate in Europe and an early-stage researcher at a large scientific consortium. We are planning a large-scale experiment that utilizes wearable devices and we are quite interested in the sensors incorporated into Fitbit Sense. We have already bought three devices as a test case. However, we noticed that the data coming from the new sensors are not available through the SDK. If the situation does not change we will be forced to pick a different wearable device for the study. Are there any updates on such data availability?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear Jon, we are currently carrying out a major national research project in which we are working on an industrial solution to support employees with sensor wristbands in their work. For this research we need access to the EDA data. If there is a possibility to realize this with Fitbit Sense, we would be very happy to receive feedback. If required, I can also provide you with further information about our project.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jon

I'm interested as well for the API to the raw SPO2 and Temperature information from the Sense.

Is it already available (e.g. with a premium membership) or planned to be delivered in the near future? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I would like more information too. I am a student that is interested in making use of the fitbit sense in order to gather health related data for a study. Would it be possible to gather the raw data from the heartrate monitor, EDA sensor and other sensors available in the watch please? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am planning to purchase a large batch of Sense too, for research purpose, but I need to be able to access EDA and SPO2 in real time or, at least, at the end of the day.

Are API to access them going to be released in the next weeks?

Best regards

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello!

I'd like information about this as well.

Best Answer