Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting notifications over Wifi?

ANSWERED

Hi,

I'm very new to the FB world, having had a device dropped on my desk today with the instruction to get something working on it. I've done a bit of digging around on the architecture but I haven't found something that answers my question. So here goes.

I'm looking to create an app on a private network that sends notifications to a user's watch. I've had a bit of a look at the BART sample, and from what I can see it is querying a web service to receive travel info. But I can also see that the Messaging API might be a good place to start to 'push' messages.

Any thoughts? Are there any good examples/documentation on the messaging API that might be handy?

btw - I'll be creating the central service/web api that will make the calls, so I'm quite open to use whatever protocols are the best fit. It will be a controlled environment too - so we can lock down whatever is required in order to have a consistent experience (e.g. wifi, paired phones etc)

And I hope this is not a dumb question, but can I get the app to work over wifi without the phone being connected? The specs on the watch (a Versa) imply it only has bluetooth, but according to the app I can also configure wifi. 

Hope this makes sense.... and any help greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Tim

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You can only use the messaging API to communicate with the companion on the phone (using BLE), and the companion can use fetch() to an https endpoint.

You could periodically send a message from the device to the companion, then the companion could check for a notification. It's not ideal though.

Wifi is only really used for the developer bridge, firmware updates, music transfer and large app installs, we're not able to use it directly for communications.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

You can only use the messaging API to communicate with the companion on the phone (using BLE), and the companion can use fetch() to an https endpoint.

You could periodically send a message from the device to the companion, then the companion could check for a notification. It's not ideal though.

Wifi is only really used for the developer bridge, firmware updates, music transfer and large app installs, we're not able to use it directly for communications.

Best Answer

Can notifications only be sent via a phone over BLE or could I send a message from a custom device over BLE?

Best Answer
0 Votes