Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to scroll a Textarea on Versa watch

ANSWERED

Is there a recognised method for making text in a Texarea to scroll?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Guy_ wrote:

Sample scrollingSample scrolling

Hi

This is a screenshot of what I've started testing [coding is very simple] - seems to work quite well but I would like to try your solution because its more intuitive. When you get time to upload it.

Thanks

However does it avoid getting into the today app with an up scroll? I don't want to leave the clock face app.

Ok, try this:

index.js:

import document from "document"

var Y=0,mdY
document.getElementById('scroll').onmousedown = evt => {
  mdY=evt.screenY
}

document.getElementById('scroll').onmousemove = evt => {
  Y += evt.screenY - mdY
  mdY = evt.screenY
  document.getElementById("scroll").y = Y
}

index.gui:

<svg id="mPage" viewport-fill="#000000">

<textarea id="scroll" x="5" width="100%-10" height="200%" fill="red" font-size="24" pointer-events="visible">
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
  </textarea>

</svg>

Results are:

Sandbox-screenshot (1).png

During scroll:

Sandbox-screenshot.png

There are more things that can be added (like scroll limits), but I like the simplicity. 

Regards,

Reign

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

@Guy_ wrote:

Is there a recognised method for making text in a Texarea to scroll?

Hello @Guy_ 

If you want to scroll sideways the marquee text element may be what you are looking for.

There is also a scroll view element that lets you scroll an entire set of other elements including text.

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks

I'm trying to vertically scroll a log of data which consists of many lines.

A scroll view of elements would have to be an infinite number of elements with 1 line per element, in other words dynamically defined elements. Not sure that is possible?

It could also be complicated to populate.

For the moment I'm adding a scrollbar and doing the scrolling of the Textarea Windows style,  with specific. code

Am looking for a more elegant solution, if there is one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is an auto resizing text box that will imbiggify based on your text.

Scrolling can be accomplished by moving the Y location in reaction to the mousemove event. This would make your text box a sliding panel that reacts to finger movement.

This isn't the "recognized" way to scroll, but it isn't exactly uncommon either. A scrollbar may be difficult to pull off simply because of the touch target size you'd have to make. A sliding panel may be more intuitive.

I can upload an example of this later, but I am currently at my other job.

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

This is a screenshot of what I've started testing [coding is very simple] - seems to work quite well but I would like to try your solution because its more intuitive. When you get time to upload it.

Thanks

However does it avoid getting into the today app with an up scroll? I don't want to leave the clock face app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Ok, try this:

index.js:

import document from "document"

var Y=0,mdY
document.getElementById('scroll').onmousedown = evt => {
  mdY=evt.screenY
}

document.getElementById('scroll').onmousemove = evt => {
  Y += evt.screenY - mdY
  mdY = evt.screenY
  document.getElementById("scroll").y = Y
}

index.gui:

<svg id="mPage" viewport-fill="#000000">

<textarea id="scroll" x="5" width="100%-10" height="200%" fill="red" font-size="24" pointer-events="visible">
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
  </textarea>

</svg>

Results are:

Sandbox-screenshot (1).png

During scroll:

Sandbox-screenshot.png

There are more things that can be added (like scroll limits), but I like the simplicity. 

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Reign

Thanks, it sort of works but as expected scroll up invokes the Today app.

Is there a way to stop that?

I would like to have control for swipes in any direction on this screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Today app invokes when the slide starts from the bottom of the screen (actually slightly below it).

If you mouse down inside your element (touching the visual element first) the object will scroll without invoking Today.

My test consistently did not invoke Today, but only when I started the slide within the text area.

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, all rather fiddly until you get used to it.

I have left the scroll bar buttons as well.

Many thanks for the tip.

Best Answer
0 Votes