Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important: Streamlining Fitbit’s Developer Tools

We are retiring Fitbit Studio as part of our effort to streamline our developer tooling. Fitbit Studio will enter a read-only mode on March 20, 2023, and will fully shut down on April 20, 2023. 

All developers should switch to using the command-line SDK as a direct replacement for Fitbit Studio. Please export your projects now and refer to this guide for instructions about using the command-line SDK. We recognize that this may be a difficult change for some developers, and we are here to provide support during this transition via this developer forum.

Remember, Fitbit Studio will enter a read-only mode on March 20, 2023 and will shut down on April 20, 2023, so be sure to export your projects from Fitbit Studio before April 20, 2023, after which they will be permanently deleted.

We’ve put together a list of some frequently asked questions below to help you migrate your projects.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can I still build my apps and clocks without Fitbit Studio?

Yes, you can install the command-line SDK on your Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.

Q: How do I download/export my existing projects from Fitbit Studio?

Login to Fitbit Studio, open an existing project and select `Download > Export Project.`

Q: Can I download all of my projects at once from Fitbit Studio?

No, you need to export each project individually.

Q: Can I still build or deploy my projects in Fitbit Studio while it’s in read-only mode?

No, sometimes the act of building a project would modify specific project files, therefore building and deploying will not be enabled.

Q: What happens if I do not export my projects?

After Fitbit Studio has been shut down on April 20, 2023 all data will be deleted and unrecoverable.

Q: How do I install the command-line SDK?

You need to install Node.js, then follow our command-line SDK guide.

Q: How do I update my existing projects to work with the command-line SDK?

You need to edit your project's `package. json` file and ensure it contains the `sdk` and `sdk-cli` dependencies. Our command-line SDK guide contains the full information for updating existing projects.

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

Is there any chance to download my code, I signed in today, and I just read this post about it, but I didn't get any other notification email or so. I really wanted to launch a new update on the watch facet that I develop.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @fabiel.casas  - see if you already exported a copy to PC.

If not try contacting app gallery support they may be able to help.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When following the instructions for Fitbit cli, it only allows us to develop for Versa 3 and Sense.

Is it possible to develop for multiple versions (both older and newer) - Versa, Versa2, Versa3, Sense ... others?

I have some projects that support these models of Fitbit devices. It would be great if there is a way to re-start development on Fitbit Cli for multiple older & newer versions

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SteezyFit  This might help.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you even know what the definition of "streamline" means? Fitbit Studio was as streamline as you were going to get.

Best Answer

Hi @josekreif - streamlining in this case is removing things that Fitbit doesn't want or need to support, such as Fitbit Studio, and removing developer access to the Sense 2 and Versa 4 watches, for which you cannot create your own free clocks or apps.

Any updates to clocks, that were ported previously by Fitbit to the new watches, will not be updated.

So the current state for the Sense 2 and Versa 4 is there is no development possible whatsoever. There is no SDK and you cannot submit anything for review and Fitbit has stopped porting anything.

These are the only watches available on the Fitbit site so productive development has essentially now been blocked altogether.

The write your own clocks or apps feature that was available with Fitbit Studio for any user is no longer a feature offered by Fitbit as they continue to wind down operations and support. It is still possible via CLI, if you can get it working, to support old watches, though as the numbers of those watches dwindle there seems no point.

Best Answer

installing gnome-keyring in the Linux container on my ChromeOS machine resolved this

Best Answer

Hello @KeyIn Thanks for the reply.  I'm inexperienced with linux, but hope to get the CLI working on my Chromebook.  Can you give specifics on how to 

install "gnome-keyring in the Linux container on my ChromeOS".

gnome-keyring seems to be in my project node_modules.  When I run this 

XXXXXX@penguin:/mnt/chromeos/MyFiles/myCode$ sudo apt-get install -y gnome-keyring
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
gnome-keyring is already the newest version (3.36.0-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

the response says already installed

I'm using Visual Studio Code.  

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

My versa2 will only connect to the developer bridge very intermittently.  I was able to install one app today (but needs work).  However, since then I cannot get the watch to connect. It says 'connecting to server' then tries to reconnect.  Then occasionally says 'wifi connection error'.  However, I can see that my router shows the versa2 connected.

Using CLI ('connect phone'), I have gotten my iphone to connect.  The watch connected for a few minutes ('connect device', while on the charging cradle), and installed app, but will not connect again.

I've tried removing device from phone app.  Turned bluetooth off and on.  Turned watch off and on, and phone off and on.  I also factory reset watch a few days ago.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try?  Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @RustyKeyboard - have you tried testing using the simulator instead? And when you want to test on the watch add your project to the GAM and install it as a private link.

Btw. If your watch battery falls below 25% you can't use the developer bridge, it will disconnect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ Thanks for the response.  I have not had much success with the simulator.  On my main PC (win10 desktop), I never got past 'Here we go".  on my wifes laptop (win11), I can open the simulator.  However, I haven't used the simulator since before Studio was closed down.  It will take me a little learning to refamiliarize myself with the simulator.  In the meantime, I will look into the GAM.  I have not used it since I never intended to go public with my apps.

also, re watch battery, yes always above 25%

Best Answer