Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Stuck in a boot loop

ANSWERED

So beware developers. I made a custom clock face app, and make a mistake in the syntax. Did not add (#) to the mask id. Since then my ionic has been in a boot loop. it boots and the fitbit icon shows up, then it loads to the blank clock face (I assume the side loaded clock face) and then reboots.

Any idea how to get out of this ? Did I just totally destroy my watch using a clock face? 

Big deterrent to any developer. A clock face (specially one that uses no additional apis) show not possess the ability to boot loop. 

Previously when the tracker restarted, it would revert to the original clock face, but not this time. Currently watching it restart over and over again waiting for the battery to die basically.

Any ideas on how to hard reset (like the HR maybe) ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53

Hi @JonFitbit and @FlyBoyJIt

Thank you all for your reply.

I'm trying to explain that the behavior here it's a little different.
The device continue to shutdown and restart, even after the hard reset.
It remains turned on just for 15 or 20 seconds.

Is it a normal behavior after the hard rest or it was expected to remains frozen at the red X message?

I' ve already tried to remove the account, delete the Bluetooth pair and try again, but, once the device is continue to shutting down, it´s impossible to finish the setup.

Even to complete the first steps of the setup, as pair the bluetooth again and configure the wifi to the firmware update it´s very difficult do suceded.

Even if I succeed to pass trough these steps, it won't be finished because the Ionic will restart again at the middle of the process.

I'm very sorry to boring you with this question but I´m just trying to figure out if I did the hard reset correctly and if there is any other procedure that I can follow up.

I´ve posted two videos on the YouTube and Google Drive just to show to you.
If you could tp take a look for ten minutes just to confirm that you completely undertood this behavior, that is a little different as I said.

Fitbit Ionic Boot Loop - Trying HS to setup again - Part 1
https://youtu.be/xVmd_1v3G9w
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzuDePLRog4Bd2huU0FTaUZJOTA/view?usp=sharing

Fitbit Ionic Boot Loop - Trying HS to setup again - Part 2
https://youtu.be/wbxI-_B5duc
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzuDePLRog4BNkc0VDloQkdhVE0/view?usp=sharing

Please Jon help me man. I've already lost 35 pounds and I need more with IONIC!
I´m becaming crazy about it is a hardware problem or about the possibility to return the device.

Thank you very much!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well when I had the issue, I had a similar experience.

So after the first hard reset, I had the same data not erased, please sync and try again.

I removed the ionic from my Fitbit App and then also removed it from my bluetooth settings.

Then I hard reset the ionic a second time. And it came up with the message again. 

I tried a third reset and it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see, and I got your point.

But I think you didn't get mine yet.

My issue is that, even after trying to do the hard reset, the device remains turned on just for 20 seconds and shuts down again alone!

So I just can't do the complete repair, re sync and firmware update with this behavior.

Process is interrupted in the middle, when Ionic left the red x message and shutdowns itself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried letting the battery run down. This was my backup plan while I was waiting for hard reset instructions.

I don't see why your ionic keeps resetting. Just keep trying the hard reset method, until you get to a point where you see the red X message and it stays on, and then you can setup from scratch ignoring the red X message.

I know it must be frustrating, but apart from a device fault, I don't understand why a hard reset  (or couple of hard resets) aren't letting you stay on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi again,

Yes, I thought about it.

But once the device is constantly shutting down automatically, I need to continue to turn it on manually and it will drain the battery just for a few seconds. So it will get very longer to get the battery empty. 😞

I will keep the faith and do what are you telling me.

Keep trying the hard reset until it stays on.

Are you advice me to do that with the charger cable plugged in or it doesn't matter in this case?

Thank you a lot for keeping trying to supports me, even with this topic already solved.

We can create a new one if you guys prefer, so I can vote for your resolutions when (or if) I get the resolution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After this reset... is the beta firmware for development still applied?  I find it somewhat unfortunate that the "studio" did not have an emulator for testing before deployment.  I enjoy programming and have been for 25+ years, but like with android devices needing to be rooted it is never fun to brick a device that cost over $300. 

Is there a method that the "factory" firmware can be re-applied if you no longer want to develop on the ionic? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FlyBoyJIt, anothers few questions

1 - When your device were in the boot looping, when it was booting it was restarting completely and returning to red x message screen alone OR did you need to press the left button to start it again (this is my case)

2 - When you said "continue to apply the hard reset" you were done it directly on the red x message screen? So, when did you realize that it was continuing to loop you just press the 3 buttons together again and move on to another consecutive hard rest?

Thanks,

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bjsexpress wrote:

After this reset... is the beta firmware for development still applied?  I find it somewhat unfortunate that the "studio" did not have an emulator for testing before deployment.  I enjoy programming and have been for 25+ years, but like with android devices needing to be rooted it is never fun to brick a device that cost over $300. 

Is there a method that the "factory" firmware can be re-applied if you no longer want to develop on the ionic? 

After the reset, I believe you are then moved back to stock firmware. 

I may be wrong but I'm basing this information on the fact that after the reset, I was prompted that an update was available for my device. Exactly like when I moved to the dev firmware.

I know the devs have said that there is no way back out of the developer programme, but I believe you can just choose to ignore the update, however might be that you can then no longer receive the regular end user firmware updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FlyBoyJIt wrote:

I know the devs have said that there is no way back out of the developer programme

You can request now request removal from the developer preview with customer service.

Best Answer

@Lox83BR wrote:

@FlyBoyJIt, anothers few questions

1 - When your device were in the boot looping, when it was booting it was restarting completely and returning to red x message screen alone OR did you need to press the left button to start it again (this is my case)

2 - When you said "continue to apply the hard reset" you were done it directly on the red x message screen? So, when did you realize that it was continuing to loop you just press the 3 buttons together again and move on to another consecutive hard rest?

Thanks,

1. In my boot loop case, initially it was stuck on no screen. It would boot, show the fitbit logo, black screen and restart. Once I got the hard reset done, my tracker would show the red X message and stay there. It would no longer reboot itself.

Try this, hold the three buttons till the logo appears. Keep holding it till it disappears again and continue holding it till it reappears. 

I know we keep harping about it but make sure you remove it from all bluetooth connected devices and from your account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody,

I did all the procedures requested, by you and by the FitBit customer service until now and the problem persists.

My last chance its try to setup the device in IOS using the best wifi connection ever seen in the world to apply the firmware update in less then 25 seconds.... 😛

If it succeed maybe I can resurrect my Ionic.

Otherwise I will need to request a return and refund or replacement by Amazon.

I´ll keep you posted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi budys,

Updating you all about my issue on the boot looping and shutdowns:

1 - I did all the procedures described in this post

2 - I did another 4 different procedures (pretty similar to) with the FitBit Customer Services, including chatting and phone calls

3 - I made videos about the strange behavior and sent by email. They have analyzed and they have declared not to know what could be happening.

4 - I did another trying by myself using Bluetooth instead wifi, Windows App and IOs app

5 - Nothing has worked.

So be careful during your developments.

Exists a type of boot looping that can not be solved until now.

I'm not pretty sure that is a hardware problem, if was caused by the swimming session or any other thing but the fact is that even the hard reset will resolve this issue if you get in caught by it.

The good news for me is that I informed Amazon about all of this process, context and problems and they will replace my Ionic!

Thank you very much for you all during these last days trying to support me!

Many successes and good developments to you all!

See you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Another reason for an emulator.
Best Answer

The 3 button reset method works. It will reset the Ionic to factory settings. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lox83BR, So I got a replacement Ionic from fitbit .. thats another story 😞 .. after opening the packaging plugging in and going through the first setup it failed half way. After this I attempted to setup up again and it said it needed to finish an update.. again it failed and again and again totally refusing to set up.I then followed JonFitbit Instructions to have the red cross appear. I now have exactly the same problem  as you had keeps shutting down after 20secs, can't install or sort out have tried everything, so I feel your pain and hope that someone in support can sort this out.. Heres hoping I won't need yet another Ionic replacement!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now my fitbit is stuck in a cycle of logo and then red X. Any idea what I can do about that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got to the Red X. It says to continue with setup. Nothing happens. Startup icon flashes on and off. Nothing stops it

Best Answer
0 Votes

I encountered a similar issue but was able to resolve the error without factory resetting. I got the idea from MicroByte's answer but swiped the other way (right) to get to the "Screen Wake" and "Notifications" screen. On the second attempt the watch successfully did not restart which let it connect and sync with my phone. In the phone app I was able to access the Developer menu and delete the offending clock face. After a blue restart screen with the Fitbit logo, my watch was back to one of the default watch faces and was no longer restarting. Hopefully this works for others.

The firmware on my watch is version 27.31.1.29 in case this matters (or the solution doesn't apply to folks on older/newer firmwares.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a totally frozen Ionic, no control whatsoever.

I went through these steps expecting to lose everything I had.

After releasing the two buttons the watch returned to normal and I went through the setup procedure. I had expected to lose my music programmes but they are still there 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, 

So I did all of that but when I got to the 'release the bottom right button" my fitbit ionic did not vibrate and it went straight to the blue arrow set up screen. 

I followed the instructions 3 times and the same thing. I deleted the account from my phone, turned bluetooth pairing off, etc. followed the steps .. 

So now what? 😕

Best Answer
0 Votes