Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irregular heartbeat (afib) notification via Web API

Hi,

We're planning to develop a physician notification/intervention module into our healthcare platform where we want to physicians to be automatically notified if irregular heartbeats are detected on a consenting patient. Physicians could be recommending patients to wear more fitbits if this feature was available.

I could not find an api endpoint or subscription/notification feature in the web api that gives me this (i.e. irregular heartbeat or afib notification). This could be a notification or a api endpoints that gives the irregular heartbeat logs. Can someone please let us know if such an api is available/under-development or will be available in the future?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Just to be clear, i do know afib diagnosis is available via ECG api when the wearer actively uses the ECG app. But this question is for the other (passive) method of monitoring for irregular heartbeats and the resulting afib notification that is available on devices like the sense etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @sathishp 

The Web APIs are not designed to send notifications outside of a webhook notification.  The webhook notifications let your application know there is new data to download.  

I'm not aware of an Fitbit API that can provide notifications for irregular heart beat.   However, I'm going to move this post to the Device SDK forum to see if they have such functionality that can help you.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Gordon,

Is there a web api where i can pull an afib diagnosis or a log of afib diagnoses that are made as a result of monitoring "irregular heartbeat rhythms"? I am not necessarily looking for a webhook notification, but if i can call an api at intervals and get a log of afib diagnoses, that might do. Please note that i'm talking only about "irregular heartbeat rhythm" feature and NOT the diagnosis from ECG app

Sathish

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @sathishp 

We don't expose any aFib diagnosis information through the Web API.   The closest thing we would have is the response from the Get ECG Log List endpoint.   See https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/electrocardiogram/get-ecg-log-list/

The Fitbit devices are not medical grade devices.  The devices and the ECG API are for research use or investigational use only, and are not intended for clinical or diagnostic purposes.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes