Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get fitbit info like activity, sleep and heart rate on my Android mobile app

Hi,

I am a newbie. I saw the web apis for accessing user information from the web. I have the following questions.

1. Does the web api get the user activity information from the cloud. i.e. is the user activity is first uploaded by fitbit to cloud and once uploaded the same will be returned by web apis ?  Is there any android sample for this ?

2) Is there a way to get the user information directly from fitbit device rather than using the web apis ? i.e. does fitbit expose api's which i can call from my android application and get user activity logs. Is there a sample for this ?

Any links or sample code would help. Thanks in advance

Thanks,

Sagar

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Even I am looking for the same information. I would prefer to get heart rate time series data on an iOS app for users who have downloaded my app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only realistic way to get historical (time series) data is from the Web API. You can access this from your own mobile app if you use appropriate oauth code. Unfortunately, Web API data isn't updated in real time, but only when the watch syncs.

In theory, you could write an app on the watch for collecting data, and run it all the time (ie, don't ever switch to any other app or clockface). That app would pass data to your companion app on your phone/tablet. From there, you could retransmit it to a URL, which you might be able to intercept by writing a web server on your phone/tablet or by using a web service on a site you run. Doing all of this would be extremely difficult; I don't think anyone has ever achieved it, so don't expect anyone to post code for it!

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply. So from what I understand webApi seems an easy way of getting users data which would not ideally be real time, but would be available once the fitbit tracker has synced with fitbit. The question I have for user activity to be become available on fitbit via the fitbit tracker will the end user need a fitbit app. Can the fitbit tracker sync with fitbit without the fitbit app ?

Also if I decide to not go via the web api I will have to develop a fitbit tracker app as well as an android/IOS app which communicates with it. Is my understanding correct on this ?

Can you please help me with this.

Thanks,

Sagar

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit devices can only be synced via the Fitbit app running on a companion device.

I think your second paragraph is correct. It could be difficult to get such an app published in the Fitbit store because it wouldn't comply with the normal arrangements (eg, supporting Windows devices), but you may not need it to be published.

I can't help because this would be a huge and difficult project.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes