Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to keep Fitbit Device App running in background?

ANSWERED

Hello, 

I wrote a simple app to continuously monitor and process accelerometer data. With the timeout api disabled, it seems the app kept running after the screen is off. However, if I press the physical button on the left side (Fitbit versa 2), the app will exit and stop acquiring data from accelerometer. 

I wonder if there is any recommended way to keep the app run in background on the Fitbit device?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, there is no 'background'. Only one app or clockface can run at any one time.

You could consider making your app into a nice clockface, so there's less incentive to close it. However, it will still close if any other app is started (Settings, Exercise, Timer, etc).

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Unfortunately, there is no 'background'. Only one app or clockface can run at any one time.

You could consider making your app into a nice clockface, so there's less incentive to close it. However, it will still close if any other app is started (Settings, Exercise, Timer, etc).

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you very much!

Best Answer
0 Votes

For sure you can override the back button, so at least you can make the user to be prompted before stopping an operation.

Best Answer

Hi Peter

If there is no background facility how does the Timer app continue running in background [or launch itself] so that when the timer reaches 0 it can set the vibration going?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Fitbit's own apps (and some of their partners' apps such as for music) have access to capabilities that aren't available publicly.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

App Timeout API is the closest thing to it. I've used it on my project https://medium.com/@sasojakljevic/designing-building-a-fitbit-smartwatch-app-4e07def03121 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Sasoj - you are right, you can keep an App running by using

appTimeoutEnabled = false;

But if you are running a timer app, the timer stops the moment you do something else.  

However I got around the problem by running the timer as an Addon in background to the clock face which might be of interest.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes