Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more local loopback connections via 127.0.0.1?

I have a watch face that fetches data from a local web service on my phone, which comes from an app that retrieves data from a body worn medical sensor.  The URL that I've used for this fetch request is "http://127.0.0.1:17580/...".  With the latest update to the fitbit Android app, this functionality seems to be broken.  If that is true, I'd like to obsequiously request that this be added back.  My whole reason for owning a fitbit versa is gone without this ability.

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

I confirm that. Stopped working. Guess we are fetching data from the same service...

Could it be that non secure http is being blocked now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Entirely possible and wholly regrettable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Likewise - my entire reason for buying this watch. I literally have no other interest in it.

Since there is no way to encrypt localhost connections (because there is no way to get a SSL certificate for localhost signed by a certificate authority) this completely disables local connections.

This is a critical error and needs fixing.

Best Answer

On another users advice I tried completely uninstalling and unpairing the versa watch and starting from scratch. When reconnected in this way I was able to connect to http://127.0.0.1 again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to ask to clarify but can you offer more detail about your answer?  

Uninstall and reinstall the watch face?

What does "starting from scratch" entail?

Should I uninstall and reinstall the fitbit phone app or just the watch face?

Thanks.

Best Answer

I unpaired the versa watch from the app. Uninstalled the Fitbit app. Installed the latest version again from play store, repaired the versa watch, reinstalled the watch face. At this point it is still working (ran over night).

Best Answer
0 Votes

This should still work, it hasn't intentionally been removed. The rules surrounding fetch/WebSockets essentially say your connections must have transport security except where the request is to a local or loopback IP address, such as this case.

We'll need to investigate what's happened here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I confirm that also my applications cannot longer send data to the address 127.0.0.1.

I tried to unpair and pair Versa, uninstall and reinstall the Fitbit app, but it didn't work. My apps work with the previous version of the Fitbit application (3.8, released in October 21, 2019), so the problem is related to the new version (3.9.1, released in November 4, 2019).

I don't know if someone has any ideas to get around the problem while waiting for Fitbit update.

@LiamFitbit Do you have any idea about the date in which you will release the fixing update?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've confirmed this is a bug in 3.9.1 of the Android app, it's working in the forthcoming 3.10 update. Sorry I don't have an exact date for the release, but perhaps use the previous version while you're waiting.

Best Answer

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your feedback. Good to know that the next version will have the connection working.

Regarding the update, even if you don't know the exact date, do you think that we have to wait some days or we have to wait some weeks before you release the version 3.10?

Thank you for your attention.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't really say, but it likely won't be in some days.

Best Answer

Is there any chance of a 3.9.2 patch that reverts this behavior specifically that could be out sooner than the 3.10 version?

Best Answer

The best answer is from JonFitbit further down, Confirmed bug in latest version 3.9.1. Fixed in 3.10 but no date of when it will be released. Only solution at the moment is to roll back to version 3.8. Would be good to get a date on 3.10

Best Answer
0 Votes

3.10.1 for Android is already available.

Sadly, still doesn't fetch from http://127.0.0.1:17580

with promise catching with "TypeError: Failed to fetch" message.

Anyone tried with success?

Edit: I'm using fetch('http://127.0.0.1:17580') with default request init object.

Best Answer

I'm seeing the same thing... Not working with the 3.10.1 update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I confirm that the new version (3.10.1) didn't fix the problem.

I tried to uninstall (deleting also the data) and reinstall the app, but the problem persists. I also tried to change the port number associated with the localhost address, but I did not succeed.

@JonFitbit Any idea about this problem? Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, after 4 days from the update (update that should have fixed the problem, but it didn't), no one of Fitbit who explains the situation? Is it normal for you?

Let me say that the fact that you don't even provide an answer is ridiculous and not respectful to those of us who invest time and money to develop apps for your platform.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Perhaps marking this post as unanswered will help it stand out better.

As for the issue, since it stopped working, I didn't even bother to wear the watch any more since I don't need it for its standard features.

Many users downgraded to 3.8 and seem to be happy as long as autoupdate is off.

Edit: And yes, this is "perfectly normal"for me. It's not open source, what did you expect...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry for the delay, I've been working with the QA team who have been unable to reproduce the issue on 3.10 and 3.11, so something is obviously not right somewhere.

Here's how they're testing:

I'm wondering if it's related to the port, or something else. Is anyone else able to verify that this is working for them?

Best Answer
0 Votes