Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically changing mixed-text layout content

ANSWERED

Is it possible to change any of the text values of a mixed-text layout component? Let's say I have a header and copy, and I want to programmatically update the copy's "to" value.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @cozzbox

This sounds like it's the text-length attribute in SVG. I thought you might be able to set this in the CSS, but I couldn't get it to select the correct element. Instead what I found is that you can set the attributes using the SVG <use /> element as below (I guess you could also do it in Javascript, but haven't tried it to confirm):

<!-- index.svg -->
<svg class="background"> <use href="#mixed-text-left-top" height="100%" id="myMixedText"> <set href="#header/text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Title" /> <set href="#copy/text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Label"/>

<!-- Additional properties -->
<set href="#header/text" attributeName="text-length" to="128" />
<set href="#header/text" attributeName="fill" to="fb-blue" />
...etc... </use> </svg>

By increasing the text-length property, you should be able to print out the string you need.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

I was looking into this and couldn't find any documentation on setting their values. The "mixed text" element appears to nest two text elements, identified as #header and #copy. To set their text values programatically, you can use #getElementById() in your JS to get a reference to these elements, e.g:

// index.js
let mixedText = document.getElementById('myMixedText');
let headerLabel = mixedText.getElementById('header'); let copyLabel = mixedText.getElementById('copy');
// Set the text attribute values headerLabel.text = "Your Header"; copyLabel.text = "Your text here";
# index.svg
<use href="#mixed-text-center-mid" height="100%" fill="fb-yellow" id="myMixedText">
<set href="#header/text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Title"/>
<set href="#copy/text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Label"/>
</use>

Hope this helps!

Best Answer

Hi cblunt,

Your advice has become very useful for me. Thank you. But there is still a problem. Changing the text of element "copy" by programming will result in an error ("Too big string"). And it disappears in the middle of the text on display. Do you know this solution?

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @cozzbox

This sounds like it's the text-length attribute in SVG. I thought you might be able to set this in the CSS, but I couldn't get it to select the correct element. Instead what I found is that you can set the attributes using the SVG <use /> element as below (I guess you could also do it in Javascript, but haven't tried it to confirm):

<!-- index.svg -->
<svg class="background"> <use href="#mixed-text-left-top" height="100%" id="myMixedText"> <set href="#header/text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Title" /> <set href="#copy/text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Label"/>

<!-- Additional properties -->
<set href="#header/text" attributeName="text-length" to="128" />
<set href="#header/text" attributeName="fill" to="fb-blue" />
...etc... </use> </svg>

By increasing the text-length property, you should be able to print out the string you need.

Best Answer

Hi @cblunt

Thank you very much for good advice.

You made me very happy!

Best Answer
0 Votes

For anyone else interested or coming across a similar problem, I received the same error when trying to set button text programmatically from 'connect' (length 7) to 'connecting' (13). I was able to solve using @cblunt 's method, like so:

<svg y="200" width="90%" height="100">
  <use id="connectBtn" href="#square-button" x="5%" fill="fb-green">
    <set href="#text" attributeName="text-buffer" to="Connect" />
    <set href="#text" attributeName="text-length" to="13" />
  </use>
</svg>

Hope that's useful to someone else!

Having fun on projects
Best Answer