Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing an update

ANSWERED

Hi all,

My clock face is developed for OS4 and OS5 and I fixed a big that affected both SDKs. Does this mean that in the GAM, I need to upload the first .fba, wait for Fitbit to approve it, and then upload the second .FBA and again wait for Fitbit to approve? I had tried uploading both .FBA files in the same version as the upload control seems to accept multiple files but I just received a blank screen with some JS error in the Chrome console.

It takes Fitbit way too long to approve versions. Anyone know if they're working on a new process?

Thanks!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think that the different versions will need different version numbers.

I also believe that you'll have to wait until the first version has been reviewed and published before you can submit the second version.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I think that the different versions will need different version numbers.

I also believe that you'll have to wait until the first version has been reviewed and published before you can submit the second version.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

I was hoping for a different response! LOL Perhaps something that I wasn't doing correctly.

I wouldn't mind the current process if the approval times were only a few hours but it's already been a week so at this rate, it seems that it will take 3-4 weeks to publish an update for two SDKs.

Perhaps things are a little too hectic at Fitbit with Wear OS hitting Fitbit hardware in the near future.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bloodtrain  Thanks for bringing this up. You are right - the procedure is exasperatingly frustrating and LONG, it can take weeks!

Not to mention that - you have to wait approval for any description updates too now.

And you can arrive at an impasse in that you must publish the first FBA submitted, before you can submit the second, in which case you may need to update the description which applies to the first FBA but it doesn't yet apply to the second FBA, as its not yet approved, or published.

Bear in mind that any screen-shots and any ancillary documentation also have to be updated - its an impossible task the way it is if you are supporting multiple OS.

You are right, it does say "drag 'n' drop some files here or click to select files" but you can only select one, so its not working properly.

When are we going to get a new and faster process?

What would be good in the interim, while they improve the process, is to at least allow TWO  successive submissions, so they can be published at the same time, along with any description update, screen-shots and external documentation and its all in sync.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the interim, I think a good strategy is to make appropriate use of the "Notes for Reviewers". For example, you can explain that you know the description needs updating but you can't do it yet because of the GAM restriction, and promise that you'll do it when the review has been completed.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

@GondwanaPossibly, however the current approval procedure constraints mean it is a huge workload for the reviewers, so not sure that the notes are of much use.

Eg. submitted an OS5 update with a note, "same change as for OS4". which they already approved. It didn't speed things along because each update sits independently in a queue, regardless of notes. The approval process in this case was started on July 4 and is still waiting second approval as of July 11. [The OS5 update request for approval was submitted as soon as the OS4 was approved and immediately published]

An improvement in procedure where both OS versions could be approved together would greatly speed up the approval process and be of significant benefit to the reviewers [by reducing their workload], would help developers speed up publication and users would get a consistent view from the descriptions.

The reviewers are understanding and helpful despite the huge workload.

It may just be a bug in the GAM which is not working correctly as catered for in the GAM design?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes